Kenny & Zuke's Delicatessen

• Please log in to reply
1733 replies to this topic

#41 myswandive

myswandive
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

Stopped in on my way back to work. Holy cow!! I couldn't believe how packed it was. Couldn't wait around for a sandwich, but I picked up a garlic bialy + 2 bagels. the bialy was DELICIOUS. yum. the bagels were good too, although i obviously am not accustomed to a "real" bagel as these were smaller and harder than i expected. however, once i broke that crispy crust, the inside was perfect.

there was two guys working the register when i was there - one seemed a little flustered & overwhelmed with the traffic, and the fact that the man he was helping kept ordering more things and then not knowing what they were, then asking very detailed questions. i felt badly for him, but the other guy stepped in & was very good at keeping everyone's impatience at bay with some witty banter. so good on your staff (i don't know what either of you look like, so i'm assuming it wasn't you - short, almost-bald, fair skinned guy).

anyway, i'm bringing my husband back for challah french toast and i can't wait.

#42 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

great post Sylvan

#43 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

I couldn't believe how packed it was.

looks like this will be a Sunday outing for us. Granted this is the most anticipated (all demographics) opening in quite a while, but hopefully it will be quiet out there on Sundays like before pre-opening days.

big fat awesome & congrats

ps...my blood pressure is all pumped up for you guys....awesome! & what out of beer?

#44 sylvan

sylvan
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:39 PM

great post Sylvan

Thanks.

what out of beer?

I can only speak about the two pilsners. They were totally out Lagunitas pilsner and we got the last bottle of Victory Prima. I guess we weren't the only ones to think that was a good match for pastrami.

#45 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:56 PM

I can only speak about the two pilsners. They were totally out Lagunitas pilsner and we got the last bottle of Victory Prima. I guess we weren't the only ones to think that was a good match for pastrami.

hehehehehe the only ones I'd be drinking...well maybe Steam. Hopefully they've already call in for emergency delivery for tomorrow

#46 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:10 PM

there was two guys working the register when i was there - one seemed a little flustered & overwhelmed with the traffic, and the fact that the man he was helping kept ordering more things and then not knowing what they were, then asking very detailed questions. i felt badly for him, but the other guy stepped in & was very good at keeping everyone's impatience at bay with some witty banter. so good on your staff (i don't know what either of you look like, so i'm assuming it wasn't you - short, almost-bald, fair skinned guy).

I think I was in line behind you and witnessed the same thing. The counter-folks handled it well. I'm sure in the future they'll have figured out the attitude that lets them fly through that sort of situation, but their pure charm got them through this time.

My sandwich was awesome, though not what I ordered, and the bagel didn't make it into my bag, kinks I'm sure will be rare when you're finally fully up and running. The quality of the food was already there. The space looks great, staff was friendly and not too awkward for so early on, and the guests looked like they were having a great time. Hell, your staff looked like they were having fun and you were slammed.

Congrats.

#47 duck833

duck833
  • Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:20 PM

Happy staff!!!

Profit solves all problems

Let the tips roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#48 Jeff

Jeff
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:27 PM

Finally made it in for lunch at 2:15. Terrific pastrami Reuben with potato salad. Had a Moxie cream soda with it. Very satisfying and I loved how smoky the pastrami was. Minor service issues and the staff seemed a tad distracted but all in all a terrific second day.

Lucky for me I only work 2 blocks from the place!

#49 sylvan

sylvan
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

I'll say - you don't have to find parking!! (at least at lunch time). But you might have to invest in one of their 'Body by Pastrami' t-shirts. :D

#50 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

Kristi, Angelhair, Cat, and Francine the Machine and I all dined together after 1pm and it was full up. Boy asunder came up and said hi. The food was fantastic. No problem whatsoever with the server. She's terrific. I had her two days in a row and she's great with the customers. There was a minor glitch on the bill but it looked like it evened out more or less so we didn't waste anyone's time over it. Maybe orders didn't crank out as quickly or smoothly as they may once the big grand opening occurs, but no worries. No one seemed bent out of shape. And as was said before. Customers and staff all looked like they were having a pretty good time of it. I know I enjoyed myself.

I probably won't be able to do lunch at K&Z's anymore on weekdays (I was late getting back to work and the transit system delays weren't really helping matters). I'll just have to go after work or on weekends in the future. I'm glad this place is such a hit already!

OH...And I'm going to wear my Body by Pastrami T-Shirt to work tomorrow. I'm a hopelessly devoted fan. GUSH GUSH!

Best regards,

Amanda

#51 Jeff

Jeff
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:09 PM

I'll say - you don't have to find parking!! (at least at lunch time). But you might have to invest in one of their 'Body by Pastrami' t-shirts. :D

My body was already heading that direction anyway... Now it's a done deal.... :D

#52 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:10 PM

No one refilled my water glass! I'm never comin' back to this place again!!! :D

HAHAHA JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING... :D

I wanted to make it in today to meet the group for lunch but, alas, work kept me away until nearly 2:30...

Anyway, I had the Ruben today; it was SO GOOD! Very smoky and delicious. And grilled just right. I will say that I miss the pickles that you test marketed this summer. Any chance that the Half-sours will make a reappearance?

Nice work, Guys. Happy Grand Opening!

P.S. Those bar stools need someplace for the feets*!

*Here, I'm employing the George W. Bush "Double-Plural" first used in his "Childrens do learn" speech.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#53 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:14 PM

Dear All,
I've been there 3 times already since yesterday - lunch, dinner, and breakfast. The pastrami and bagel with cream cheese was AWESOME! Is the cream cheese house made? It was so creamy, and the bagel did not survive the 10 block drive from K&Z back to my shop. I finished the last bite at the parking lot.

We all know the pastrami and bagels are great aat K&Z, right? No one talked about their cheese cake, though. Ed and I had a slice last night. For me, it was pure heaven. First, the cheese cake has a very silky texture, the vanilla and little lemon really came thru. They use kinda a short bread cookie base instead of gram cracker crust, which is a great touch for me. Now the appearance - it has a perfect creme color, and it has ZERO blemish and no browning of any kind. I asked the kitchen staff is it a bake cheese cake or a chill cheese cake, his reply is "baked". It look and taste so perfect, how did they do it? I usually bake mine with a water bath for 1.5 hours @ 300 degree, then turn the oven off and wait for about 6-7 hours before chill, it still has some shrinkage and browning on top. K&Z cheese cake is just perfect! :D One more must get item for me from now on!

Cheers,
Ellen and Ed
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#54 Jeff

Jeff
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

Agreed. A foot rest would be fantastic...

#55 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Humankind's attempts at creating beauty in our day-to-day lives, including food and drink, decorative and fine arts, fashion, architecture and design, graciousness, generosity and humor.

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:38 PM

Loved it!! Went with Stu, saw Ken, Nick, Mike, met David. I'm not going to go into every drool inducing detail, just let me say that it is, IMO, the best deli in Portland. Okay, the corned-beef is something out of a flavor fantasy, it melts in your mouth, but I said I wouldn't do go into every detail, so TRY IT FOR YOURSELF.

I've already mass-emailed my non-board friends and have suggested it as the venue for our holiday party ... imagine, succulent meat platters, mounds of chopped liver and egg salad, trays of bagels and rye, cheesecakes stacked on pretty stands with gravy boats full of fruit compote, open bar with micro-brews and that tasty Cote du Rhone.

#56 Francine the Machine

Francine the Machine
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:13 PM

I loved it - the pastrami sandwich was so good, I'd like to ask it to go steady.
Good work!

#57 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:37 PM

My 60th birthday dinner:

Got off work at I-ca-ca at 4:30. The 205 going south to Powell, (where I get off), SUCKED at that time. Went home to pick up wifey-poo but didn't change. Took Powell west across town rather than 205 to 84 to 5, etc, and was there at about 5:30. Found a parking spot only about a block away. Place was about half full. Nick greated us at the door, and I had never met him before. I guess he knew who I was because I was still wearing my I-ca-ca shirt. Ken was in the kitchen and said hi.

I had a Pastrami reuben. Wife had corned beef hash, and couldn't finish it all, so took about 1/3rd home. Needless to say, my plate didn't even need washing. Got a pickled green tomato rather than a pickle without asking. Great, and I'm not much of a tomato person.

Also had a side (2) of latkes which were wonderful!

Drinks were 2 coffees and a Dr.Browns cream soda. Had "just" a Macaroon for desert, as we were both already full.

Also took home 4 "whatever you grab" bagels, as there weren't many left.

Total bill including a 20% tip was $36.

Service was good but not great, but hell, they really aren't really even open yet!

Too bad it is a schlep across town for us (we live basically at 92nd and Holgate), or we would be there at least 3 times a week B) , and in a matter of a couple of months, we would both be pushing 250 pounds. ;)

Overall, 9.8/10 on the "geschmacta" (sp?) scale!

#58 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:49 PM

Agreed. A foot rest would be fantastic...

They were working on it....they really aren't even open yet....

#59 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:58 PM

Dear All,
I've been there 3 times already since yesterday - lunch, dinner, and breakfast. The pastrami and bagel with cream cheese was AWESOME! Is the cream cheese house made? It was so creamy, and the bagel did not survive the 10 block drive from K&Z back to my shop. I finished the last bite at the parking lot.

We all know the pastrami and bagels are great aat K&Z, right? No one talked about their cheese cake, though. Ed and I had a slice last night. For me, it was pure heaven. First, the cheese cake has a very silky texture, the vanilla and little lemon really came thru. They use kinda a short bread cookie base instead of gram cracker crust, which is a great touch for me. Now the appearance - it has a perfect creme color, and it has ZERO blemish and no browning of any kind. I asked the kitchen staff is it a bake cheese cake or a chill cheese cake, his reply is "baked". It look and taste so perfect, how did they do it? I usually bake mine with a water bath for 1.5 hours @ 300 degree, then turn the oven off and wait for about 6-7 hours before chill, it still has some shrinkage and browning on top. K&Z cheese cake is just perfect! B) One more must get item for me from now on!

Cheers,
Ellen and Ed

3 times in 24 hours! Yikes! We at PFG may have to do an intervention, Ellen! B) :lol:

But seriously, I didn't even notice the cheese cake on the menu (I was so distracted by the pastrami...). I haven't eaten that in, oh I don't know, 30 years or so! ;) I'll have to get some of that to go next time, since there's no way I could polish off a ginormous sandwich AND a slice of cheese cake in one sitting...

By the way, I really liked the Bialy I had the other day. Especially nice since I've never had one before.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#60 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:22 PM

Also took home 4 "whatever you grab" bagels, as there weren't many left.

Bagels turned out to be 2 sesame, 1 poppy seed, and one onion bialy. The bialy was fantastic! (yes, I had to have one tonight) ;)

The rest will be for tomorrow AM...maybe.... B)