AudioCinema

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sylvan

sylvan
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:49 PM

Wow, I hadn't seen this post 'til now. But I stopped in today for lunch and can say it was quite good for what it is. It's basically a sandwich joint in a warehouse that happens to be trying to source quality, local and sustainable ingredients.

I liked my Reuben sandwich, although it did deviate from the classic in a couple of ways. First, the bread wasn't toasted or grilled and there were grilled red onions and a tomato on there. Talking with Chris afterwards he said there wasn't supposed to be tomato, and it was supposed to be grilled, so I guess the old bugaboos of consistency and management never go away. However, the bread, kraut and pastrami (Niman Ranch) were all top notch, and I liked the depth the onions gave to the kraut. Not too expensive, and happens to be located near enough where I work and my wife works. I'm sure we'll be back.

And congrats again on your engagement, Chris!

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:14 AM

Hope you don't mind, Sylvan, but I split out your report from the event discussion to start a dedicated thread in Restaurants.

There's also some info in announcements:

http://portlandfood....?showtopic=5777

http://portlandfood....?showtopic=5654

AudioCinema Cafe
226 S.E. Madison St.
Portland, OR 97214
503-467-4554
http://www.audiocinema.org
Google Map (You'll Need It)

|| Cafe Hours ||
Mon-Wed 7am-7pm
Thurs 7am-10pm
Fri 7am-12am (midnight)
as well as during Events

AudioCinema Happy Hour!
Monday - Friday 4pm-7pm
20% off entrees (no small bites)
$1 PBR pints

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:music, food, italy, history, little kids who make me laugh

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

well, sad news. audiocinema will be shutting it's hours down to only when there are events scheduled... and possibly they will be staying open for a couple of hours a day during the week for the small lunch rush.

unfortunately for me they have decided that they no longer need a manager so i was laid off. (see post in "employment" when i get a chance.)
foodshedpsx is dead. as is god. and elvis. and george burns. and you and me too soon enough.

#4 vj

vj
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:08 PM

Wha?! WTF? I'm so sorry, Chris. I know you poured your heart into this.

#5 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:39 PM

Chris - I'm so sorry. I know you really cared about what you were trying to do there and totally put your heart into it. I'm sad that it's ending this way.

I hope you find something else soon, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#6 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:49 PM

This is lame. Takes quite a bit off the shine of an upcoming charity event planned there.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#7 doit

doit
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:37 PM

Lame and dumb. I'm sending immense "find the job of your dreams" vibes your way right now.

#8 Denise

Denise
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:59 AM

Chris, I am really sorry. That stinks.

#9 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:33 AM

Sorry Chris. I know how excited you were about this deal and it's too bad it hasn't worked out for you. It did give you some great experience, though, I imagine, and you can take that with you going forward. Perhaps you're on the road to another opportunity and adventure now and something new and great is just waiting for you to seek it out and tackle it! Good luck! Just pull yourself up by the bootstraps and keep on truckin', my friend. Good things can come your way!

Best regards,

Amanda

#10 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:music, food, italy, history, little kids who make me laugh

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:35 AM

thanks everyone. i appreciate it.

funny thing is, i'd do it all again. :(
foodshedpsx is dead. as is god. and elvis. and george burns. and you and me too soon enough.

#11 sylvan

sylvan
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:35 AM

Wow, I'm shocked and feel for you. Too bad. :(

Well, I guess I'm not too shocked, 'cause the whole 'giant warehouse rental space' seemed to me like a very iffy proposition that I would be surprised if it lasts. Especially because I've never seen anybody actually in there renting it. I guess I just didn't extrapolate that out to the cafe's position being precarious and likely to go first when the inevitable belt-tightening before the closure starts. I had hoped it was an actual profit center that could help the whole endeavor.

#12 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:41 AM

Sorry to hear about this Chris. You'll get a better job, I'll venture. I'd say it was a good learning experience for the next adventure. Best of luck to you!
T