Photo

Tip-Outs, Tip Pooling, Credit Card Fees, Etc

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:36 PM

I haven't worked at a restaurant in Portland where I was expected to give less than 10% of my take-home to the kitchen. There were a couple where the average was 25%. I don't know if it is legal, but it was the culture, and it made for good relations between boh and foh. Tip pooling is another thing all together. That really depends on the crew.

#22 greycoral

greycoral
  • Members
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:my two pups, riding my bike, trying new foods

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:09 PM

yeah, the 1% of sales usually ends up around 10% of my tips anyhow. We tip out 1% to the bar, 1% to the kitchen, and 2% to the kitchen. Overall, it's about 30% of my tips I take home (total). That's where I start usually, if they're especially helpful, I always tip out more. At my last place in San Francisco, on the weekends, we tipped out 35% minimum (of our tips). But we had so much support staff. Food runners, hosts, barback, bartender. No kitchen tip outs though.
--Coral

#23 chaunchy

chaunchy
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:53 PM

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but not to the industry. I've been it all from the busser to the manager and everyone in between. Cool forum. Just found it.

What i'd like to ask is kind of a poll on how the tipping structure works in your restaurant. From the server, what the break down of where your tips go. How much to the bartender, house, busser, host.

1) Resraurant type (fine, family, grill, etc...)
2) % of Tip to bartender (if any).
3) % of Tip to host
4) % of tip to busser
5) % of tip to house
6) % of tip to etc....

Thanks so much for your input.

#24 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:14 AM

Hi Chaunchy!

I can't answer your questions, but welcome to the site.

Best regards,

Amanda

#25 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:47 AM

welcome! i cant answer this either, but just so you know most of the people here do not work in the industry. we are all just a bunch of food obsessed geeks with keyboards! you will get those that do work in the industry to chime in though!
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#26 GizmoCat

GizmoCat
  • Members
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Food, Music, Travel

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:34 PM

I'm with Amanda and Concrete. I have never worked in a restaurant, so I have no clue.

I will say that I tip 20% as long as service is good.

Left nothing at breakfast the other day as it took 30 minutes to be acknowledged even after trying to flag down one of the two waiters and then being scolded by him as he could not see our menus.

#27 GizmoCat

GizmoCat
  • Members
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Food, Music, Travel

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:39 PM

Whew! Time warp! I think this thread was moved while I was responding. LOL!

#28 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:37 PM

Left nothing at breakfast the other day as it took 30 minutes to be acknowledged even after trying to flag down one of the two waiters and then being scolded by him as he could not see our menus.

I hope you are planning on never going back to whatever place that was. Stiffing a server is burning the last bridge, even if it is the restaurant's fault.

#29 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:45 PM

1) Resraurant type (fine, family, grill, etc...)
3) % of Tip to host
4) % of tip to busser
5) % of tip to house
6) % of tip to etc....

1. Sleazy or casual or upscale café.
2. 15-20%+ of drink sales (not including wine)
3. Very fluid. Usually 5% of take after tipping out everyone else. Often less.
4+5. Determine average tip percentage (usually between 19-24%) and apply it to my cash in hand at the end of the night. Divide this by the number of support staff and round up to nearest increment of 5. Rough nights for the kitchen I'd double it, rough nights for me I'd buy myself and a few others an extra drink.

#30 greycoral

greycoral
  • Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

1) Restaurant type (fine, family, grill, etc...):
3) % of Tip to host
4) % of tip to busser
5) % of tip to house
6) % of tip to etc....

I'm a server...

1. Bistro with upscale casual level service.
2. to the bar: 1% drink sales minimum (required) I'll tip more if there are a lot of mixed drinks, or if they help run drinks.
3. to the host: usually a manager is the host, so no tip out. If there is an actual host, then I'll slip $5 or so to them if they help me run drinks from the bar or seat me more.
4. to the busser: 2% of food sales, minimum.(required) Usually give at least $10-$15 more than that though.
5. to the kitchen: 1% of food sales (required), more if I have a lot of weird requests or if there's a large party or something. That money also gets split with the dishwashers.
6. As a rule, I usually tip out 30% of my total TIPS during the week, closer to 35% on the weekends.
--Coral

#31 Ritchie

Ritchie
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:41 PM

Chaunchy is asking how much of a servers tip is distributed to the rest of the house.

Say the house policy is 20% of a servers total tips are tipped out to the rest of the staff, how does it break down.

Local Corporate Restaurant
10% to Bartender
7% to busser
2% to Kitchen
1% to Hostess

#32 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:15 PM

1) Restaurant type (fine, family, grill, etc...):
3) % of Tip to host
4) % of tip to busser
5) % of tip to house
6) % of tip to etc....

I'm a server...

1. Bistro with upscale casual level service.
2. to the bar: 1% drink sales minimum (required) I'll tip more if there are a lot of mixed drinks, or if they help run drinks.
3. to the host: usually a manager is the host, so no tip out. If there is an actual host, then I'll slip $5 or so to them if they help me run drinks from the bar or seat me more.
4. to the busser: 2% of food sales, minimum.(required) Usually give at least $10-$15 more than that though.
5. to the kitchen: 1% of food sales (required), more if I have a lot of weird requests or if there's a large party or something. That money also gets split with the dishwashers.
6. As a rule, I usually tip out 30% of my total TIPS during the week, closer to 35% on the weekends.

not that its not a good idea and the right thing to do, but isnt a MANDATORY tip out illegal?
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#33 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

Chaunchy is asking how much of a servers tip is distributed to the rest of the house.

Well then I suppose he or she will be unhappy with my answer. Sorry about that. [edit:And if you're only tipping the kitchen 2% you might want to watch your ass.]

#34 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:24 PM

not that its not a good idea and the right thing to do, but isnt a MANDATORY tip out illegal?

True, but retaining one's job isn't "MANDATORY" now is it?

#35 Ritchie

Ritchie
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:04 PM

Well then I suppose he or she will be unhappy with my answer. Sorry about that. [edit:And if you're only tipping the kitchen 2% you might want to watch your ass.]

My reply was just an example. But the kitchen folks make more of an hourly wage than the FOH staff, so 1-2% is usually all that is given.

Some states where servers make $2.19/hr or so, there would be no tip out to the kitchen.

Mandatory tip out is illegal, but since most servers aren't reporting all of their tips like they should be, I doubt any of them would go to the authorities over it. Just find a new job with a tip out structure they can live with.

#36 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:16 PM

Tipping out is not mandatory and may be illegal, but it certainly seems to be customary in the industry. I think it is expected in most places. This according to John's daughter who is a lifelong waitress. Tipping out to other staff makes a server's job much, much better.

Best regards,

Amanda

#37 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:37 PM

It is my understanding that tip pooling is legal (in most states) as long as it is only distributed amongst employees who directly serve tables. So you can pool tips between servers, busboys, bartenders, etc but not dishwashers, cooks and such.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#38 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:09 PM

from my bartending days, it was definately a good idea to tip out your support staff. there was no faster way to fuck up your next shift then to stiff me on the tip out. cocktail waitresses that did that more then once were dead to me. they went to the absolute end of the line when their orders got rang in, now see how much money you can make when your drinks never come out there, sweetheart! :bottomsup:

#39 greycoral

greycoral
  • Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:10 PM

but isnt a MANDATORY tip out illegal?

maybe, but at my job it is required to tip out the minimum, it is stated on our server reports, and although it doesn't happen (that I know of), I was told that I would be written up if I didn't tip out at least the minimums. I see no need to cheat people, so it's really a non issue.
--Coral

#40 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:01 AM

but isnt a MANDATORY tip out illegal?

maybe, but at my job it is required to tip out the minimum, it is stated on our server reports, and although it doesn't happen (that I know of), I was told that I would be written up if I didn't tip out at least the minimums. I see no need to cheat people, so it's really a non issue.

believe me i agree, but what im saying is having an "official" policy that mandates any tip out is illegal. Your employer seems to be going over the line in putting it on your reports. In my experience its been a "suggestion" with a wink and a nod.