Byways Cafe

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:14 AM

Do they serve breakfast all day, or at least till 3 when they close? What 2 or 3 things MUST I have when I go there?

#2 Mr Burnside

Mr Burnside
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:18 AM

I would recommend nothing from there, very sub-standard food. I work not far from there, have eaten there 4 times, none of them good experiences.

Instead head over to Fullers.

#3 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:07 AM

I would recommend nothing from there, very sub-standard food. I work not far from there, have eaten there 4 times, none of them good experiences.

Instead head over to Fullers.

Is it bad really? Sure looked good on the Diners and Drive in's show. Seems like I read on here that Ken likes it. Other's opinions?

#4 Mr Burnside

Mr Burnside
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:11 AM

well its not BAD, but you're likely to not enjoy it if you enjoy good breakfast spots. Maybe i was a bit quick to say, "no". The level of intrigue is there, featured on that show, un-Pearl place, character, etc. Just dont expect it to be your favorite Portland breakfast joint.

#5 vrunka

vrunka
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:17 AM

I'm pretty sure they stop serving breakfast by 11 on the weekdays.. and on the weekends they *only* serve breakfast all day, no lunch.

Personally, I kinda like Byways, but it ain't gourmet by any stretch. It's just good basic American diner food. If I'm in the Pearl during breakfast time, it's my go-to spot for potatoes and eggs.

#6 Epicurious

Epicurious
  • Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:52 AM

I like Byways for a basic (no frills) breakfast. The eggs are done correctly, the pancakes are good, and the service is friendly. Not crazy about their potatoes. They are of the chunky O'brian style variety. Oatmeal is good, as are some of the baked goods, scones, etc. You could do MUCH worse.

#7 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:57 AM

I agree. I've only eaten there once but enjoyed it.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#8 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:07 AM

I'm pretty sure they stop serving breakfast by 11 on the weekdays.. and on the weekends they *only* serve breakfast all day, no lunch.

I called and they breakfast all day on weekdays.

#9 Jeff

Jeff
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:33 PM

I had lunch there today at about 1:15. They do not have breakfast on weekdays after 11AM, both according to their menu and the server.

#10 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:16 PM

I had lunch there today at about 1:15. They do not have breakfast on weekdays after 11AM, both according to their menu and the server.

Wierd. Not what the lady told me on the phone. What did you have and how was it?

#11 wrapitinproscuitto

wrapitinproscuitto
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:23 PM

If you go with a (turkey) burger, fries and a shake you can't go wrong

#12 Jeff

Jeff
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

Wierd. Not what the lady told me on the phone. What did you have and how was it?

I bet you can get breakfast after 11 if they aren't busy... Many places have that kind of policy....

I had the chicken salad sand on marbled rye. Fresh tasting chicken, celery and finely diced apple gave it a nice crispy element. Not over-mayo'd. Got the fries with it. Not bad overall. Had a cream soda with it. Thomas Kemper I believe...

#13 vrunka

vrunka
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:07 PM

I've definitely been there past 11:00 AM and been told that I couldn't order breakfast. But maybe they just didn't like me.

#14 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:37 PM

I've never eaten breakfast there, but it is around the corner from where I worked the first 10 months I was in Portland. I used to go for lunch about once a month or so. I think their grilled cheese sandwich is good, the salads are okay and the patty melt one of the better ones that I've had. I also really like their fries. I tend to like fries no matter what the style they are as long as they're good, and for their style (big, potatoe-y fries) I really like them.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#15 eeldip

eeldip
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:13 AM

their blue cornmeal pancakes are great.

i would describe the food as "upscale diner". as in, better quality then fuller's, but similar menu. good atmosphere, lots of diner kitsch. it used to be called "shakers", and you'll see why when you get there.

its one of my favorite places in that hood. used to be more cutely located in the middle of industrial stuff, now the chi chi vibe of the hood is rubbing it the wrong way i think.

#16 philthyanimal

philthyanimal
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

i ate there once, and split the hash and an order of the amaretto french toast on brioche bread. the hash was well cooked and ok but did not blow me away. however the french toast was magnificent. it had multiple layers of flavor from the amaretto and cinnamon/nutmeg and the peacan butter. thinking about that french toast makes my mouth water. nothing else on the menu really sparked my interest however.

#17 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

i ate there once, and split the hash and an order of the amaretto french toast on brioche bread. the hash was well cooked and ok but did not blow me away. however the french toast was magnificent. it had multiple layers of flavor from the amaretto and cinnamon/nutmeg and the peacan butter. thinking about that french toast makes my mouth water. nothing else on the menu really sparked my interest however.

Welcome to Portland Food, philthyanimal. I love good french toast and that sounds delicious.

#18 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

so, if anyone has been recently, what would you say would be the wait for a 2top on a sat/sun at like 11am(I know this to be a bad time, obviously, its just the morning after either a fri or sat night, is not when im feeling up to a 8am breakfast, if you get my drift). I am a french toast freak, and anything sub 90min wait, and i will have to go.....
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#19 philthyanimal

philthyanimal
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:15 PM

so, if anyone has been recently, what would you say would be the wait for a 2top on a sat/sun at like 11am(I know this to be a bad time, obviously, its just the morning after either a fri or sat night, is not when im feeling up to a 8am breakfast, if you get my drift). I am a french toast freak, and anything sub 90min wait, and i will have to go.....

went about a month ago with just a friend, and it was about 40 mins to get seated around 11. That was the end of the rush tho...cuz once we finished our meal the restaurant was starting to get empty. maybe show up around 1130 or 12 ish...and you shouldnt have too long of a wait.

#20 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:58 AM

went about a month ago with just a friend, and it was about 40 mins to get seated around 11. That was the end of the rush tho...cuz once we finished our meal the restaurant was starting to get empty. maybe show up around 1130 or 12 ish...and you shouldnt have too long of a wait.

showing up later is always an option! :think: thanks
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"