Cava

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:57 PM

Kim, Moxie and I just returned from the newly opened Cava restaurant (SE Foster @ 53rd), which officially opened on Friday. We were all extremely impressed with both atmosphere and, more importantly, the food.

Cava is small, with seating for about 45-50, but it has a very nice waiting area in the entrance, which I am sure they will need soon. The atmosphere is warm and extremely comfortable. About 7 wood booths line the left side of the restaurant, while the center of the dining area is comprised of about 4 cocktail style two-tops. The right side can work with potentially larger groups (4- four-top tables) lined with large church pews, which can be combined for two 10 top tables or divided to 4 four-top tables easily. The bar seats approximately seven to eight customers.

We started with the Grilled Polenta, with Freah Corn, Grilled Scallions and Romesco $6, as well as the Butter Lettuce Salad, with Diced Cucumber, Radish and Avocado, tossed in a Green Goddess Dressing $6. Both were stellar and an extreme value for the quantity.

They have a seperate kid menu, off of we ordered the mac and cheese for Moxie - $3. This was also fantastic with white cheddar and gruyere cheeses and which also came in a very satisfying portion for a child.... Kim and I ate about half of it.

Kim and I were both in a burger mood, after working all day in the yard, etc., so we both wanted the Burger with Fries. Standard Burgers are $7, which come with either Fries or Mixed Field Green Salad. You can add Cheddar or Bacon for a dollar each, which Kim and I both opted for. They also have an option of Grilled Mushrooms with Gruyere for an additional $2. Hands down one of the best burgers that I have had in Portland, along with some of the best Fries in Portland as well. Easily up there with Cafe Castangna.

We cannot wait to go back and considering they are open everyday except Tuesday, this will definitely be one of or regular places to eat on our days off.

The entire menu is as follows -

STARTERS

ENDIVE SALAD WITH GALA APPLES, ALMONDS AND MANCHEGO - $7
BUTTER LETTUCE WITH CUCUMBERS, RADISH, AVOCADO AND GREEN GODDESS - $6
WHITE BEAN SOUP WITH ROSEMARY OIL - $5
GRILLED POLENTA WITH FRESH CORN, GRILLED SCALLIONS AND ROMESCO - $6
WILD MUSHROOM BRUSCHETTA WITH SHALLOTS, THYME AND SHAVED PARMESAN - $8
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH WHITE WINE, SHALLOT, GARLIC AND CHINESE CELERY SERVED WITH FRIES AND AIOLI - $7/$12
SLICED AND ASSORTED SALUMI WITH ARUGULA AND PICKLED VEGETABLES -$6
OLIVE TAPENADE - $3
CHEESE PLATE - $8

SANDWICHES
(All served with Fries or Green Salad)

HAMBURGER -$7- ADD: CHEDDAR $1 / BACON $1 / MUSHROOM AND GRUYERE $2
PAN FRIED PORK MILANESE WITH HAM, GUYERE AND MUSTARD -$7
GRILLED PANINI WITH EGGPLANT, ZUCCHINI, RED PEPPER AND GOAT CHEESE - $7

ENTREES

ROASTED PORK LOIN WITH CRANBERRY BEANS, GREEN BEANS, CORN AND BASIL PASTOU -$12
GRILLED HANGER STEAK WITH MAITRE D' BUTTER AND FRIES - $13
MOROCCAN SPICED ROAST CHICKEN WITH STEWED EGGPLANT AND PEPPERS ON COUS COUS - $12
CHITTARA EN CARTOCCIO: PASTA, LING COD MUSSELS, CLAMS AND SHRIMP BAKED IN A PACKET WITH FRESH HERBS, SHAVED FENNEL, GARLIC AND LEMON - $15
BAKED EGGPLANT EN CAZUELA WITH RED PEPPERS, MOZZARELLA, BASIL AND TOMATO TOPPED WITH BREAD CRUMBS - $10

DESSERTS

LATE HARVEST BLACKBERRY STRUESEL TART -$6
CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE CREME FRAICE ICING - $7
CARAMEL CUSTARD BURLEE WITH HAZELNUT TEA CAKES AND PRALINE -$7
POT DE CREME WITH CHANTILLY CREAM - $7
COZY APPLE CRISP WITH VANILLA BEAN ICE CREAM - $6
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#2 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the report! :(

Cava
5339 SE Foster Rd.
Portland, Oregon
http://www.cavapdx.com
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#3 greycoral

greycoral
  • Members
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:my two pups, riding my bike, trying new foods

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:42 PM

Yum! We're pretty darned close to there, so we'll have to check it out too.
--Coral

#4 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:15 PM

That's a simple, satisfying menu with some great pricing. That fried pork sandwich is beckoning me.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#5 JoeDixon

JoeDixon
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:24 AM

I believe that their chef is JB- one of the first and best Family Supper/ripe catering chefs. JB also worked everywhere else notable (Castagna, etc.)

Looks good.

#6 Dimsumdiva

Dimsumdiva
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:43 PM

Bob & I went for dinner here tonight. Frist we had fresh out of the oven bread. Really great. We shared the White Bean Soup and the Sliced Salumi for starters. Both were excellant and very generous servings. Salumi could easily be shared by 3 or 4. I had the Pork Milanese which had three nice pices of pork, pounded thin, breaded and fried crispy. A really tasty sandwich which I will be happy to have again. The first fries I got were too salty, but the made another batch for me. Bob had the Eggplant en Cazuela. He said it was the best eggplant dish he's ever had. We than shared the Apple Crisp. The ice cream was vanilla but I didn't see any specks so I wouldn't have called it "vanilla bean". We thought they could have cooked the crispy a few minutes longer to make the apples softer, but the flavor was really great.

They have four beer taps; Bob had the Waldking Man IPA. They also had a Ninkasi Red Believer, an Octoberfest and Stella Artois.

Service was great. We got there about 5:15 and by the time we left, quite a few people had come in. It is really nice to have a place open on Monday (and closed on Tuesday). They just opened last Friday.

Our total was $37.50 before tip, a great value for some excellant food.

Thanks, Brian, for posting!

Iona

#7 scouty

scouty
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:15 PM

We went to Cava tonite. Had a great meal. Loved the menu, the wine, salad and dessert . My son had a burger, better than the one my husband had a Castanga last night. I had Morrocan Chicken over Couscous that was very good and hardy, my husband had the hanger steak and loved it. Very nice feel to the place. Warm and cozy. Wonderful service. !beer, 2 wines, 3 entrees, salad and dessert $63, being warm in Portland ... priceless.

#8 greycoral

greycoral
  • Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:22 PM

We went tonight too! Showed up around 8:45 or so and the place was empty. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming though.

We started with the cheese plate, which was very decent and had 5 choices. All were very good except one very stinky cheese. Sorry, I cannot recall any of them except they had manchego.

I opted for the moroccan chicken and the husband had the pork tenderloin. I was pretty disappointed in mine, it was pretty bland. The peppers on top were too mild, and overall it just needed SOMETHING. It was okay at best. I wish it had more of a spicy flavor, but that just might be my tastes.

The pork that Juan had was excellent. I wish I would have ordered that! Everything tasted really fresh and was cooked perfectly.

The creme brulee for dessert was really nice, it comes with a couple of cookies and hardened sugar chips. My chocolate cake was a little dry, but not bad.

I will definitely be back, I am cutting some slack for it being a new place. The server recommended the pasta dish with clams or I might try the burger, steak, or pork sandwich. it all sounded great!

Bill was $60 with 2 glasses of Cava, 1 beer, cheese plate, 2 desserts, and two entrees. Not too shabby.
--Coral

#9 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:51 AM

We were invited to their opening bash a couple of weekends ago. The space is beautiful - very cozy, warm colors, gorgeous light fixtures and I love the big family-style table. They are still working on the outdoor area - which I hear will be covered, giving them room for more seating. We were served a variety of dishes including most everything on the dessert menu, but since it was an opening party for friends and neighbors, I'll hold off on any opinions about the food until I have my first paid meal.

There are some photos of the interior on their blog:

http://cavapdx.blogspot.com/

Originally, I had started a thread on Cava in the drinks section - http://portlandfood....ic=3645&hl=cava
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#10 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

Current plans are for some friends and I to go there for dinner Thursday night. I can't wait. :rolleyes:

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#11 greycoral

greycoral
  • Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:25 AM

We went back for a couple of burgers a couple weeks ago and brian was right...they were soooo good. Wonderfully juicy with crisp fries, and such a bargain.
--Coral

#12 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

2 questions. Are the burgers a hand made patty? What are their hours? That pork sandwich sounds great.

#13 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:34 PM

2 questions. Are the burgers a hand made patty? What are their hours? That pork sandwich sounds great.

I was assured by the staff that the burgers were not made out of hands. :rolleyes:

#14 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:30 PM

From the Cava website:

Hours:
Open every night except Tuesday from 5 to 11pm

I've been back a couple times since we went to the opening. The burger is a really good burger - it is a hand-formed patty and the fries are great -I think even better than Castagna. They even tasted pretty good once they were cold. I had the baked eggplant in cazuela the last time I went. It was a pretty large dish, nicely browned bread crumbs. The sauce was a tad bit sweet, but it was the fall comfort food I was looking for.

I love the space - the colors, the custom-made booths. On our first visit it was a little bland because there wasn't much art. When we were there last time they had just installed one painting of a three panel piece by local artist Evan Harris. I can't wait to see the finished piece.
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Homer: Ham?
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#15 vj

vj
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:42 AM

We went last night and were very pleased with everything -- with the exception of the bread products. I couldn't get past the brown-n-serve smell of the bread and the hamburger bun. We almost asked about it, but then I chickened out.

But we loved everything we ate (soup, antipasti, burgers) and the prices are sure right.

#16 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:02 AM

We went last night and were very pleased with everything -- with the exception of the bread products. I couldn't get past the brown-n-serve smell of the bread and the hamburger bun. We almost asked about it, but then I chickened out.

But we loved everything we ate (soup, antipasti, burgers) and the prices are sure right.

Ack! You were there last night?!? :) What are the odds that we'd eat at the same place twice in one day? :w00t: Sorry that we missed you.

Anyway, I got the Pork Milanese sandwich and thought it was quite good, as were the fries; though, I think for some, the level of salt might be a tad too much. I'd have it again.

Others got the Roasted Pork Loin and said it was delicious, too. It was a bit rare in the center, just so you know. For some of us old geezers out there, that can be a little disconcerting since we were raised to believe that's unsafe. I know, I know; no longer true. (At home, I cook mine to just past that point - still tender and juicy, but not pink.) It was brined and a bit salty, I'm told.

It's a beautiful space (LOVED the color) and the artwork (1 of 3 panels) was great.

Friendly place, and the staff provided excellent service.

I had a glass of the Erbacher Honigberg Riesling, 2006; one of the least expensive wines on the menu and a very good value.

Highly Recommended.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#17 Francine the Machine

Francine the Machine
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:53 AM

I liked it, too! The space is very comfortable and warm feeling. I also agree that the service as friendly and attentive, very genuine.

I wan't ravenous, so E and I split a burger, a butter lettuce salad and the white bean soup with rosemary oil.
I thought the soup was a little flat tasting, could've used...something, maybe a richer broth? It had a nice creaminess, and the rosemary oil was subtle enough, but it was a little bland. It did benefit from a little s&p.

I really liked the burger. The mushrooms were great. The bun was a little squishy but I'd rather have that than an unyielding ciabatta or some such, like I've had other places.

The salad was very nice and large for the price - nice tarragon flavor and not overdressed. I woul definitely order that again, and am anxious to go back and order an entree.

Nice to see that they had some good looking vegetarian options as I don't always feel like ordering meat and like the veg. option.

Too bad it's so far from my house! It would be an easy regular spot if I lived nearby!

#18 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:27 AM

We are planning on a visit tonight so seeing what others have enjoyed is good.

#19 Stinky Cheese

Stinky Cheese
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:03 PM

Since Amy Ruppel (an owner of Cava) has plenty of connections in the art community, I bet we'll see more cool artwork on Cava's walls in the future. If you haven't seen Amy's work, google away...I really like her style.

#20 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:24 PM

Since Amy Ruppel (an owner of Cava) has plenty of connections in the art community, I bet we'll see more cool artwork on Cava's walls in the future. If you haven't seen Amy's work, google away...I really like her style.

Crap that's her. I buy her cards all the time @ Powells. Damn i had no idea...I love her style