Looking for a great soy cheese that taste good & melts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MILKMAN

MILKMAN
  • Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:48 AM

We have about 5 food items on our menu that are vegetarian, usually 1 ingredient from being vegan friendly so we're looking for a soy cheese/ and maybe a tofu that we could switch out when our vegan customers come for dinner.
Stuart Herold Welcome To Wine Down

#2 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:59 AM

Hmmmm. Might be difficult. I've heard almond cheese works well in sauces and the like but as a stand alone cheese I'm not sure what's out there. My aunt had some vegetarian cheddar and it melted with the consistency of plastic. I don't know what it was, but it didn't taste good either. There are vegetarians on the board and they may know a good substitute. I hope so because I wouldn't mind knowing, too!

Best regards,

Amanda

#3 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:27 AM

We have about 5 food items on our menu that are vegetarian, usually 1 ingredient from being vegan friendly so we're looking for a soy cheese/ and maybe a tofu that we could switch out when our vegan customers come for dinner.

If it is for something that needs melted cheese, you might want to try Follow Your Heart - I understand it's one of the few vegan cheeses that actually melts. You can find it at New Seasons. I think it kind of tastes like gummy tofu, but what do I know? I eat real cheese on a daily basis.

My only other experience with vegan cheese is using Galaxy Parmesan Alternative sprinkles. It is better than the Kraft stuff in the green can and is actually a good low-fat alternative to regular parmesan in casseroles.
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#4 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:41 AM

Moved to Shoppin and Cookin.

#5 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 923 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:05 PM

the meltable substance in Cheese is Casein, which is not a lactose, so many soy-cheeses use it to be 'meltable'. that makes these cheeses not so vegan.

Jess @ http://getsconed.blogspot.com has used nearly all of them, check out her opinions.