Horse Brass Pub

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 chefasaurus

chefasaurus
  • Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

As for the HB, it will certainly feel less authentic to me now that it's not filled with smoke, but my lungs will thank me and it will be nice to not have a separate jacket just for wearing there so it can smell smoky.

Given that England banned smoking in all pubs 18 months ago, one could argue that the HB is now more authentic. All it lacks is a eighteen-year-old chav passed out in the street outside the door with a traffic cone on his head. Oh, and hourly renditions of "American Pie" by the boozy mob within. :think:

It won't be an authentic British pub until they have Carlsberg or Kronenberg on tap. Two beers that are on tap in almost every hole in the the wall in the UK, yet the only time I've seen them on tap in the US is at Streets of London in Sacramento (the best British or Irish pub I've ever been to). Ironically, neither is British but they're a staple in the pubs. Oddest thing.

No one in England drinks 7% hop-monsters!

Question for the board:

Of these three, who has the best fish and chips:

Horse Brass
Laurelwood
Deschutes

#42 Nettie

Nettie
  • Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

Question for the board:

Horse Brass
Laurelwood
Deschutes

I had the worst fish and chips of my life at Laurelwood--in fact, I think all the food there is pretty bad.

Try the fish and chips at the Moon and Sixpence, another british pub in Hollywood.

#43 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

Horse Brass
Laurelwood
Deschutes

d. Lompoc
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#44 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:23 AM

Moon and Sixpence.

#45 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:43 AM

It's been awhile, so I don't know if they still have it on the menu. But Wildwood's bar used to have really terrific Fish and Chips.
signature

#46 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

As for the HB, it will certainly feel less authentic to me now that it's not filled with smoke, but my lungs will thank me and it will be nice to not have a separate jacket just for wearing there so it can smell smoky.

Given that England banned smoking in all pubs 18 months ago, one could argue that the HB is now more authentic. All it lacks is a eighteen-year-old chav passed out in the street outside the door with a traffic cone on his head. Oh, and hourly renditions of "American Pie" by the boozy mob within. ;)

It won't be an authentic British pub until they have Carlsberg or Kronenberg on tap. Two beers that are on tap in almost every hole in the the wall in the UK, yet the only time I've seen them on tap in the US is at Streets of London in Sacramento (the best British or Irish pub I've ever been to). Ironically, neither is British but they're a staple in the pubs. Oddest thing.

When I was living in London (admittedly almost 10 years ago), the only thing I found you could rely on as far as the beer selection was this:

Cheap lagers, pick two:

Carling
Heineken
Carlsberg

"Premiuim" lagers, pick one:

Stella
Kronenberg

Stout, pick one:

Guinness
Murphy's

Then 4-6 others, usually including a bitter, an ESB, a cider, and a few others (Newcastle, Caffrey's, Tennant's, Bass, etc.)

Of the three cheap lagers, I would say Carlsberg lagged well behind Carling and Heineken (though you could usually get it in bottles), and likewise Stella was a more popular "premium" lager by about 2:1 over Kronenberg. Then again, this was ten years ago so the landscape easily could've shifted drastically. However, saying a pub isn't British enough because they don't carry relatively crappy lagers from Denmark and France is probably pushing it. I would say it's much more significant that the HB has 5 cask pumps, which is far more than I've seen anywhere outside the UK.

All that said, there's no way an British pub in this town could ever stay in business actually duplicating the experience of a real British pub. Frankly, we are very much used to drinking much better beer and eating much better food than you find in most British pubs. At the pub I worked in over there, the top sellers were Budweiser, Heineken, and Carling, two of which are absolute piss and the third is only a marginal improvement. And food options consisted of crisps and Twiglets. That would never fly in this town.

#47 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

http://blog.oregonli...younger_cl.html

Legendary Portland publican Don Younger, whose Horse Brass Pub is one of the most famous in the world, is near death at 68 from multiple health problems triggered by slipping and breaking a shoulder last week. He's unconcious and on a respirator in the cardiac intensive care unit at a local hospital tonight and not expected to survive long, and dozens of friends, aquaintances, brewers, publicans and pubsters and members of Oregon's beer industry are gathering at the Horse Brass tonight to tell stories and drink pints of Younger's Special Bitter and shots of McCallan's Scotch as a proper vigil for Don.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#48 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

This is very heartbreaking.

Best regards,

Amanda

#49 nagrom

nagrom
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

Multiple beer related facebook pages are saying he passed away early this morning. RIP Mr. Younger.

#50 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

Multiple beer related facebook pages are saying he passed away early this morning. RIP Mr. Younger.

Yes, he passed away early this morning. It's a very sad day.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#51 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

I remember seeing him holding court at the Falling Rock in Denver...just as though it were the HB at home. He was legendary.

I used to think that the HB would be so much better if they spiffed it up...fixed the bathrooms and gave it a good cleaning. Now all I want and hope for is that they don't change a single thing.

#52 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

There is an article about him in today's Oregonian. God bless and may he rest in peace. He's the kind of guy that makes Portland the city I love.

Best regards,

Amanda

#53 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

May his life stand as a Testament to following one's passion, and as a cautionary tale of the consequences of personal choices. Surely will be missed.
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#54 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

There is an article about him in today's Oregonian. God bless and may he rest in peace. He's the kind of guy that makes Portland the city I love.

Best regards,

Amanda

Amen. TRULY weird as opposed to the manufactured kind. Hard to fill those shoes.

#55 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:20 AM

I actually first heard of the Horse Brass when I was working at a pub in London (referenced above). It was shortly after I'd graduated from college and I was living and working on a six-month visa. A guy came in who frequently visited Portland on business and he was SHOCKED that I'd never been to the Horse Brass, as far as he was concerned the only real bar in Portland. I made a point of visiting when I returned from abroad and have been something of a regular ever since.

Nobody does beer like the Brass and they've been doing it that way longer than pretty much anyone. Here's to Don, a true Portland icon and innovator. He will be missed.

#56 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:17 PM

Don Younger on the Cover of the latest Beer Advocate Magazine

Posted Image

#57 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

Was making a list of the best beers/ciders I drank this year. The LOLA cherry kolsh I had at the fruit brewfest at Burnside Brewing but the rest of my list, no matter how many tastings and flights I did at various places, the things that stand out in my mind were all had at Horse Brass. The stand outs that I can remember... :bottomsup:

Scottish Heart Scotch Ale - GoodLife/10 Barrel
Vanilla Bean Porter - Stone Brewing
Devils Kriek - Cascade Brewing
Apricot Cider -Teitan
and an awesome sour from Goodlife that I don't remember the name of.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#58 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Good Life made a sour? That doesn't sound right to me...
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#59 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

I could be wrong. I tried to find the list but it was under events and now it's blank. It was awesome whoever made it. I thought the list of beers was all Goodlife. Maybe it was a mix. This is what I found of what was on the sheet on beeradvocate.

"Bend, Oregon’s newest and most talked about production craft brewery, GoodLife Brewing Company, is excited to be back in Portland mingling with beer aficionados. Join us for our Meet the Brewer nights to taste the 2011 Bend Brewfest co-winner Mountain Rescue Dry Hop Pale Ale as well as Descender IPA, Pass Stout, and Scottish Heart Scotch Ale.

Scottish Heart Scotch Ale is truly a unique beer, partly due to the fact it is the first collaboration between 2 Central Oregon breweries. Tonya Cornett, Brewmaster at Bend Brewing Company, and Curt Plants, Head Brewer at GoodLife Brewing Company, combined their geniuses to create an extremely balanced, toffee-flavored bunch of goodness

Come drink some beer with us; we’re more fun when we are in our natural environment."

That's what was on the top of the sheet and the sour I ordered was below this list.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)