Horse Brass Pub

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

Had an early dinner/late lunch at Horse Brass Pub. First time we have been there. We had:

Wife: Fish and Chips
Widmer Hefelweisen

Me: 2 Sauasage Rolls
1/2 order chips
Victory Storm King Stout

Wife thought the fish and chips were superb. Flaky and not the least bit greasy. Came with chips and cole slaw for $9.95 (4 pices of fish). A real bargain! Hefelweisen is her usual beer of choice, and she though the Widmer was as good as any other she has had.

My sausage rolls we also excellent. Excellent mustard and pickles to go with them. Not the least bit greasy, with no bitter aftertaste that some sausages have. Flaky crust, and again, not the least bit greasy. I wanted the Walking Man Black Cherry Stout, but they were out. The Victory Storm King was good, but not as good as the Walking Man, IMO.

The half-order of chips (with skins still left on) was enough for 3 people! We left about 1/3 of them, even though they were very good. They also gave me some of their home-made crisps, which I took home.

Total bill, including the tip, was $33, and we are stuffed and happy!!

#2 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:33 PM

Wasn't it the owner of the Horse Brass that said he'd close if the no smoking in bars law passed. Just curious.
signature

#3 MojoMan

MojoMan
  • Members
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Professional Beer Snob, All types of Cuisine and Cooking

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:58 PM

Wasn't it the owner of the Horse Brass that said he'd close if the no smoking in bars law passed. Just curious.

Yes...

#4 malachi

malachi
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:coffee, food, espresso, wine, rock climbing

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:44 PM

Ironically, I think he also owns a part of 5th Quadrant - which is no-smoking.

#5 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:37 AM

I love Horse Brass in every way except for the smoking part. If I go there I've got to either gear myself up to know I'll be inhaling a lot of second hand smoke and my clothes will reek like I've smoked a carton myself or else I have to take the attitude and smoke, as well, in order to handle it, which I don't do often. However, when in Rome...

Best regards,

Amanda

#6 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for the report, Ikealutefisk. If not for the smoke, I'd love to give the place a visit...

Horse Brass Pub
4534 SE Belmont
Portland, Oregon 97215
(503) 232-2202
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#7 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:15 AM

You know, it's a pretty big place. If you find a corner where no one is smking, it's not all that bad.

#8 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:28 AM

I used to go to the Horse Brass. Now I like the Moon and Sixpence.

#9 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:18 AM

You know, it's a pretty big place. If you find a corner where no one is smking, it's not all that bad.

They often have the side door open. I try to sit close to it when it is to insure a litttle fresh air.

Is he really going to close when smoking laws come in effect? I can understand his position as it probably takes some of the pleasure out of the place for him.

If he wanted to sell, I'd take a piece of that action (I'm sure there would be plenty of others lining up for that)

#10 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:26 AM

You know, it's a pretty big place. If you find a corner where no one is smoking, it's not all that bad.

They often have the side door open. I try to sit close to it when it is to insure a Little fresh air.

Is he really going to close when smoking laws come in effect? I can understand his position as it probably takes some of the pleasure out of the place for him.

If he wanted to sell, I'd take a piece of that action (I'm sure there would be plenty of others lining up for that)

There were only a few people smoking yesterday, and with the side door open, we really didn't even notice it. Hard to believe a place doing that much business at 4:30 would close due to smoking laws.

Moon and Sixpence's web site says "closed for refurbishment until autumn 2007"

#11 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:28 AM

That is a different Moon and Sixpence in the UK.

They don't have a website, but here's a BarFly review:

http://www.barflymag...d-sixpence.html

#12 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:02 PM

That is a different Moon and Sixpence in the UK.

They don't have a website, but here's a BarFly review:

http://www.barflymag...d-sixpence.html

Oops :angry:

#13 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:19 PM

No worries, I clicked on the same thing.

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:26 AM

Split off the smoking discussion and put it in "other".

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#15 Rifleman69

Rifleman69
  • Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:55 AM

Horse Brass is the old Biddy Mcgraw's right?

#16 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:33 AM

Not that I know of. Biddy's was on Hawthorne 12 years ago. HB is upper Belmont. Was Biddy's in that space before my time?

#17 Mr Burnside

Mr Burnside
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:40 AM

unless its Thurs-Sat night, you can usually find a smoke-free area at HB. It is simply a beer institution with pretty good food as well.

Obviously the fish and chips are good, but the character, crowd, bartenders, etc. it all works. We went on a Wed. night recently, sat right at the bar...and encountered zero smoke (we dont smoke).

I also HIGHLY recommend their traditional English breakfasts on Sat and Sun mornings till Noon or so; not many people, 95% chance of no-smoke, low-key and euro soccer is usually on the tv. Eggs, beans, fry bread, bangers, HP sauce, tomatoes and a black coffee...does life get any better?

#18 footloose

footloose
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

Not that I know of. Biddy's was on Hawthorne 12 years ago. HB is upper Belmont. Was Biddy's in that space before my time?

The Horse Brass Pub is in the same location it has been at for thirty years, 45th & Belmont Southeast.

Biddy's used to be on Hawthorne (around 37th, on the south side of the street) until they moved several years ago to the corner of 60th & Glisan.
"Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to weren't never there, and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it." Hazel Motes, in Wise Blood, by Flannery O'Connor.

#19 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:15 AM

The Horse Brass Pub is in the same location it has been at for thirty years, 45th & Belmont Southeast.

Biddy's used to be on Hawthorne (around 37th, on the south side of the street) until they moved several years ago to the corner of 60th & Glisan.

That's what I thought. Thanks for clearing that up. I had my first meal in pdx at Biddy's (scotch egg, bangers and mash), and my first pint that night at HB in 1995. Was Biddy's in the space that is now Bridgeport or further down in the place owned by the Putters' folks? Or, since my memory is such a sieve, somewhere else all together?

#20 AngryRhino

AngryRhino
  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:bbq, bbq, pinball and ummm...BBQ!

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:31 AM

Was Biddy's in the space that is now Bridgeport or further down in the place owned by the Putters' folks? Or, since my memory is such a sieve, somewhere else all together?

Biddy's was located just up from 34th & Hawthorne, former location of the lovely Marks Hawthorne Pub, now owned by Putters'.