#1 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:09 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2...land/index.html

Just a small excerpt:

"Grab some brunch at the Cup & Saucer diner (3566 SE Hawthorne Blvd) where eggs and tofu are given equal billing on the menu. Try the Spinach and Havarti Cheese Omelet ($7.50) served with vegan potatoes and choice of scone, English muffin or toast. Or try the decadent Mary Ann Sandwich, a vamped up grilled cheese with fried eggs and a choice of bacon, ham, or garden sausage ($7.25)."

Wonder where they get their travel writers from?

Glad their focus is so hipster based............ I am surprised they missed Rocket but I suspect their guidebooks are outdated.

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:17 AM

At least that Diners & Dives show on FoodTV went to Byways. You'd think CNN could do better than Food Network.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:24 PM

At least that Diners & Dives show on FoodTV went to Byways. You'd think CNN could do better than Food Network.

I love the Diners and Dives show.

#4 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:36 PM

I love the Diners and Dives show.

And I love Byways!

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:49 PM

I hate that manufactured alternativeness that Guy has. It's as bad as hipsters who buy gel just to give themselves bedhead. And I want to knock those fricking glasses off the back of his head. He does seem to actually pick mostly good spots, though. Or whoever is producing it seems to. But I've only seen parts of two shows. He, of course, loves everything just like Rachel Ray, which makes it more entertainment than information.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:57 PM

He, of course, loves everything just like Rachel Ray, which makes it more entertainment than information.

You don't really expect any Food Network shows to offend the locals do you? It's all feel good all the time.

#7 pdxscoob

pdxscoob
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:42 PM

Actually I saw Guy eat a hamburger at one of the dives with a big smear of peanut butter on the bun. He almost threw it up and said he hated it.

#8 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

Food Dude just posted on his site that they are asking him for suggestions for Portland for Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. I know someone put in K&Z's. On the foodnetwork site it says to send your suggestions to DDDinfo@mac.com.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#9 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:31 PM

He, of course, loves everything just like Rachel Ray, which makes it more entertainment than information.

They do put the camera on the locals eating the food though. They seem to enjoy what they're eating and the joints wouldn't be that packed if all the food sucked, right?
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#10 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

the joints wouldn't be that packed if all the food sucked, right?

*cough*Olive garden
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#11 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

the joints wouldn't be that packed if all the food sucked, right?

*cough*Olive garden

Point taken. On another note, Tanuki's a "dive", right? :w00t:
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#12 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

From what I've seen of the show, they like funky dishes. Oddball things like peanut butter chocolate chip pancakes with roasted marshmallows and bacon.

What they probably will pick:
Original Pancake House
Zell's
Bijou
Byways

I can't remember if they like to show 24 hour places, but if they do, toss in Hotcake House or Roxy.

What SHOULD they pick? Tough. Perhaps:
Kenny & Zuke's*
Blueplate
Podnah's^
Pine St Biscuits
Flavour Spot

Place I really hope they avoid:
Cup & Saucer
Bread & Ink (except the waffles)
Roxy
Hotcake House
Original Pancake House (it's a chain that doesn't need any publicity)
Biscuits

* My obvious bias not withstanding.
^ Especially on weekend when you can include their brunch offerings.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#13 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

on food dude's site he said the Food Network is asking for suggestions for diners , drive-ins, etc. including "Ethnic Dives" that make food from scratch.

http://www.portlandf...opic.php?id=538

Suggestions so far seem pretty weak.

Also, looking for Cart owners for Food Network: http://www.portlandf...opic.php?id=539
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#14 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

Original Pancake House (it's a chain that doesn't need any publicity)

ok Nick, two things:
first, yes its a chain, but that one is the ORIGINAL...as in where it all started.
second, should we really be choosing places to showcase based on whether or not they need publicity? or should we focus on the best? If a place doesnt need(as you say, I think you can never have enough publicity) the attention, that doesnt mean its not worth of it. I tend to think that If they want to do a segment on, over the top-ooey-gooey-unbelievably good breakfast food-with a cult following........they couldnt do much better!(also agree with Byways and Zells for this)
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#15 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:06 PM

It's kind of like affirmative action. Given two relatively equal places, go with the one that isn't already mentioned in every guidebook and been on 100 shows, and has locations across the country, and is slammed every day of the week.

I've been unimpressed with Zell's. I think it's decent, but such a drop from places like Simpatica.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#16 mczlaw

mczlaw
  • Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:09 PM

on food dude's site he said the Food Network is asking for suggestions for diners , drive-ins, etc. including "Ethnic Dives" that make food from scratch.

http://www.portlandf...opic.php?id=538

Suggestions so far seem pretty weak.

Also, looking for Cart owners for Food Network: http://www.portlandf...opic.php?id=539

Now here's a real chance to sucker the national media who probably won't bother to fact check your specious claims--kind of like Rachel Ray biting off on the Hobo's deal. :w00t:

--mcz

#17 Uncle_Kyle

Uncle_Kyle
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

That is the worst show on television.

I hate that asshole always standing behind people's counters, snitching bites of their food with his bleached-blonde tips, Cheeto-sprinkled goatee, and sunglasses propped upon the top of his head.

Help Portland by not helping the food dude(no offense, food dude) and keep that Guy guy the fuck out of Portland. I can already see his fat ass waddling up to some of our favorite places in here. His uber-chauch behavior makes Rachel Ray look like Julia Child.

#18 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:41 PM

It's kind of like affirmative action.

a-ha....thats why i dont agree with it then. turns out its as unfair to food as it is to people. who woulda thought? :w00t:

#19 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

Anytime you weave 'uber-chauch' into an invective it becomes instantly more effective.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#20 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:29 AM

Nothing unfair about either, when done right. Like I said, given the choice between two places RELATIVELY EQUAL. So if you're making a choice between places that are essentially on the same level, why not choose one that has reasons to choose it beyond just the food?

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's