Photo

Pine State Biscuits

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

Seriously? Maple syrup in grits. That is wrong on so many levels. Grits get salt/pepper and lots of hot sauce with a slab of butter the size of your head. Add that to salt on watermelon, soy sauce on white rice and pineapple on pizza as combos that I don't understand.

Just saw this... soy sauce on white rice freaks me out too... >>shudder<<<<
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#102 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

Seriously? Maple syrup in grits. That is wrong on so many levels. Grits get salt/pepper and lots of hot sauce with a slab of butter the size of your head. Add that to salt on watermelon, soy sauce on white rice and pineapple on pizza as combos that I don't understand.

I put butter on white rice, but not soy. Is that freaky?

#103 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

Yes. Everyone knows Maggi is the only thing that belongs on white rice.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#104 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

Yes. Everyone knows Maggi is the only thing that belongs on white rice.

Only by default because Maggi belongs on *everything*.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#105 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

Fried grits with maple syrup. :w00t: I'm still full from the steak club I had at lunch and now I want to go back to Pine State and get grits. :rolleyes: Mmmmm. Been meaning to try the pine state fried club. "Trio of fried grit cakes topped with fried chicken and spiced honey, pimento cheese, fried green tomato and aged white cheddar wrapped in country ham". Maybe next week.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#106 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

Inappropriate use of soy sauce always makes me think of the scene in "The Joy Luck Club" when the gwailo elects to improve the host's cooking with a spray of soy sauce on the entire platter. My mother would have put a chop stick through his head.
Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

#107 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

Maple syrup on fried (not creamy) grits was one of my favorite breakfast things as a kid. My dad picked it up while in South Carolina during his army years. I always assumed that syrup was not an unusual addition for this style of grits.

#108 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

Been meaning to try the pine state fried club. "Trio of fried grit cakes topped with fried chicken and spiced honey, pimento cheese, fried green tomato and aged white cheddar wrapped in country ham". Maybe next week.

Had it for lunch today. Three little stacks of fried grits, one topped with the chicken and honey, one with fried green tomato and pimento cheese and the third with cheese rolled in a slice of ham. They were all great but the pimento cheese was awesome. :drool:
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#109 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Just thought I'd share this info- Eater reported that the 11th & Division outpost would be open by the end of the month (Nov '13). Overheard some employees of PSB discussing this article and essentially dismissing it... Sounds like buildout of the old garage there is moving slowly and it may be pushed back into the new year. Sounds like they've been inundated with calls etc. and it's caused a bit of annoyance on their end.

Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#110 mymil

mymil
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

Haven't been inside yet, but the new Pine State on SE Division and 11th is finally actually really truly open for business. Current hours: 7am - 3pm daily (with night hours planned for the future).

#111 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

I went in today for breakfast. They're fully open—just not advertising it as far as I can see. Note that the entrance is on 11th; if you're standing on the Division side, you may not even notice that there's a restaurant there at all.

The space is small, so as soon as the word gets out, it'll be as cramped as ever. The menu seemed about 2-3 sandwiches bigger than before (I might be misremembering it). There was literally no one there this morning when we went in. Service was great, food good as always.

Go while it's flying under the radar.