Restaurants in Milan, Italy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:42 PM

Anyone been there recently and have suggestions for places at moderate priced places (around $30/person plus drinks)?

#2 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

I don't remember where we ate when we were there maybe 4 years ago. We usuallly just wander around until we see a place that's packed and eat there.

But I am replying to your post because I want to urge you to visit Santa Maria delle Grazie to see the Last Supper. I am not a Christian person, but I found this experience to be transcendent. It is a massive fresco that simply takes your breath away. I get all choked up just thinking about it.

You need to book in advance and they only let you in for 15 minutes, but the space is huge and only a limited number of people are let in at a time, so you can really get to know it.

Not to digress too much...With some art that has been reproduced so much, seeing it in person is often a let down. i.e. the Mona Lisa...it's really kind of dark and small in person. There are really only a few famous pieces that have blown me away in person: Guernica, Luncheon at the Boating Party and the Last Supper.

Just go see it!

P.S. The shopping in Milan is off the hook!

#3 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:music, food, italy, history, little kids who make me laugh

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

not milan, but if you're headed to venice, florence, or especially siena i could help you out.
foodshedpsx is dead. as is god. and elvis. and george burns. and you and me too soon enough.

#4 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:28 AM

I don't remember where we ate when we were there maybe 4 years ago. We usuallly just wander around until we see a place that's packed and eat there.

But I am replying to your post because I want to urge you to visit Santa Maria delle Grazie to see the Last Supper. I am not a Christian person, but I found this experience to be transcendent. It is a massive fresco that simply takes your breath away. I get all choked up just thinking about it.

You need to book in advance and they only let you in for 15 minutes, but the space is huge and only a limited number of people are let in at a time, so you can really get to know it.

Not to digress too much...With some art that has been reproduced so much, seeing it in person is often a let down. i.e. the Mona Lisa...it's really kind of dark and small in person. There are really only a few famous pieces that have blown me away in person: Guernica, Luncheon at the Boating Party and the Last Supper.

Just go see it!

P.S. The shopping in Milan is off the hook!

Been to Milan many times; just not in the last 20 years. I am an Italian car freak, and the best car book store in the world, Libreria 'dell Automobile is in Milan, next to the Auto Club. The Alfa Romeo museum is in Arese, just outside Milan, and the Biscaretti car museum is outside of Turin; a short train ride away. I knew where some good restaurants were in both Milan and Turin, but have no idea if they still are there 20 years later.

#5 Daaaaave

Daaaaave
  • Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

Stay away from the Galleria.

#6 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:35 PM

I have Milan recs if anyone needs them.