Di Prima Dolci - CLOSED

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:42 AM

John and I had the privilege of attending a fundraiser for the Albina Rotary on Friday night and lucky us!!! The event was catered by Di Prima Dolci. I had not had any of their food before, though I recall Jill-O raving on about it once or twice.

Pat had a variety of tortas that were all excellent! Tortas seem to be quiche/pie-like concoctions. Every single one of them was outstanding! One had potato, cheese and I think it was ham; one had an assortment of peppers; one was chock full of zucchini and yellow summer squash and last but not least, my favorite was spinach, feta and pignoli. This along with a spicy hummus type spread (maybe red pepper) and an olive spread, veggies, rustic breads, tons of delicious cookies reallly made for a delightful culinary night. What an excellent surprise! The food was top notch and well-prepared. I think I could get used to eating that food a lot. Her savories thrilled me!!!

Di Prima Dolci has won another convert. What a great spread of quality, outstanding food!

Best regards,

Amanda

#2 mczlaw

mczlaw
  • Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:32 PM

Di Prima Dolci has won another convert.  What a great spread of quality, outstanding food!

. . .And Pat Di Prima is as nice a person as can be.

--mcz

#3 karmalaundry

karmalaundry
  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

I was in NoPo at the Red Cross doing apheresis like a good future nursing student, and consulted the tipsheet for someplace new to nosh. I chose Di Prima Dolci and headed out there after I was done donating.

I ordered a sopressata san with the smoked mozz (instead of the provolone) and then I tried to order a pork stromboli, but all they had was chicken, which I accepted instead. I got three cannolis (2 pistachio and 1 choc. chip - I skipped the candied cherry) to go as well.

The staff was great, had smiles on their faces, were joking around, and seemed to like working there (always great to see). I chatted up the "mom" (possibly the owner) while they were making my lunch. I took it all home and we dug in.

The chicken stromboli ($6) was surprisingly good. I only say that because a) chicken to me is a baseline, b ) I really had my mouth set on pork, and c) chicken can easily get neglected and mucked up. But it wasn't a slouch, and I'd get it again without reservations.

The sopressata sandwich was great, and you could taste each of the ingredients on their own. There was a little too much deli mustard onboard, but other than that a solid sandwich that I'd have no problem eating two of. :) The bread was so good, a great combination of soft and chewy. Well worth the $6.

Onto dessert... Best cannolis I can remember having. Not too much rum (where people usually go wrong), and just heaven. The shells were fresh, and the filling was reminded me of a super light version of a cream cream frosting. I should have made all three pistachio as the chocolate chip was a little too sweet for me (I didn't get the candied cherry for that reason).

I'll be back.

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

MERGING

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#5 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:02 PM

And, if I am correct, she will hire kids with next to no job experience, who are having a tough go of life and train them how to do it all. I just got a salad there one day--nothing spectacular, but I was really impressed with how relaxed she was and the fact that she gives kids a chance. They were struggling a bit, but I was really happy to see kids working and having fun learning.

#6 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:52 AM

I'm anticipating my first visit there in the near future. What items should I not miss? Is there a better time of day/week to go, so as not to miss special items?

I'm open to all suggestions - bread, cookies, pastries, sandwiches, cakes.

#7 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:19 AM

I like their on the spot filled cannolis dipped in choc chips, a slice of tri-color cake, pignoli cookies, and whatever looks good to you in the bakery case. The pizza by the slice is o.k. but not fabulous. The only bread I have had from there is pannetone (Italian Xmas bread with dried fruit bits). Next time I am there I want to try a sandwich. Those were available for the first time when we were last there.

I have no information on best day or time to go. Though I would say morning is better than afternoon.

#8 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:44 PM

Any of Pat's quiche-like creations is incredible.

Best regards,

Amanda

#9 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:14 PM

Oh my god, the cannolis are so wonderful!!

#10 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

Pat makes the best cannoli ever. I like them best with the ends dipped in chocolate chips, but you can get 'em dipped in crushed pistachios too.

The thing about cannoli is that the shell gets soggy really fast. If you are getting them to go, remember that what you eat later will still be tasty, but the shell will not be as crisp as it should be. Remedy this by eating one on the spot and getting the rest to go, if you are taking them home. And don't mess with the small ones...get the larger size - they aren't that large.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#11 Joisey

Joisey
  • Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:06 PM

I posted this in another thread, but Pat's stuff should be mandatory for Portlanders at least once a year.

I had the pleasure of cooking for her and her parents, and they reminded me in a thousand ways why I miss the East Coast.

#12 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:35 AM

Oh my god, the cannolis are so wonderful!!

I've never been much of a cannoli fan - got other reccomendations?

#13 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:50 AM

P & J, you just have to try one cannoli! They are truly the best I have even had in my life. I also prefer Jill-O's method, eat one right away and then get the rest to go.

#14 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:44 PM

P & J, you just have to try one cannoli! They are truly the best I have even had in my life. I also prefer Jill-O's method, eat one right away and then get the rest to go.

OK, OK, I'll try one :w00t:

I've even MADE cannolis at a cheese-making class at Western Culinary Institute (including making the shells) and thought they were just - eh.

If I'm converted by Di Prima Dolci's cannolis, I'll report back here.

#15 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:05 PM

I really enjoy the pignoli.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#16 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:31 AM

I went to the bakery yesterday. Here's my report:

Pat greeted me as soon as I walked in. I was gazing upward at the soup, sandwich and antipasti menus and told her it was my first time there. We chatted a bit about NYC (she's from Queens, I'm from Manhattan) and I decided to get a small meat and cheese antipasto plate to eat there.

I then went to the cookie case and picked out about ten cookies to take home. I asked for a small cannoli (and told her why I was trying it). She hadn't heard about portlandfood.org but was happy to hear she and her bakery were well-spoken of.

I sat down at a table and waited for my antipasto and cannoli to arrive. It took longer than I expected, and when my lunch appeared, it was in a to-go box, which was delivered with a plate. It contained three pieces of prosciutto, three pieces of cotta salami and three pieces of Genoa salami, which was my favorite of the three. It also had some hard Gorgonzola, goat cheese and provolone. The meats and cheese were accompanied by a roll, cut into slices.

I saved my cannoli for the end of the meal. It had pistachios on the ends. I liked it, for a cannoli, but still can't get excited by cannolis in general. I liked that the ricotta had little bits of candied orange peel in it, and yes, the shell was crisp. I'll have to leave the Cannoli Adoration Society to the rest of you.

I ate a sesame seed cookie on the way home and it was very good. In fact, all of the cookies have been very good. Oh, I also bought a garlic and three-cheese bread which I haven't cut into yet.

#17 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

P & J!

So glad you got to experience this place. Cannoli's aren't my thing, either, but Pat certainly has a variety of other tasty morsels to choose from. I've never been to the actual store. Just been to rotary events she has catered the past couple years and her food is really great, IMO.

Best regards,

Amanda

#18 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:24 PM

I had commented a few months ago that I had a rather stiff cannoli at Da Prima Dolci on Killingsworth, but that I'd try again. I did, and I'm glad. The second go around produced a lovely shell that did the appropriate "shatter when I bit into it. Lovely!

Good as well was a warm sandwich called Da Pappa Hero - Soppressatta, Salami, Prvolone, Peppers, Onions, etc. toasted in a Ciabatta Roll. Served with a very small but tasty salad of chickpeas, olives and other stuff. A tad pricey at $8.75, but not by much and very satisfying.
signature

#19 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

I had commented a few months ago that I had a rather stiff cannoli at Da Prima Dolci on Killingsworth, but that I'd try again. I did, and I'm glad. The second go around produced a lovely shell that did the appropriate "shatter when I bit into it. Lovely!

Good as well was a warm sandwich called Da Pappa Hero - Soppressatta, Salami, Prvolone, Peppers, Onions, etc. toasted in a Ciabatta Roll. Served with a very small but tasty salad of chickpeas, olives and other stuff. A tad pricey at $8.75, but not by much and very satisfying.

I disagree with you. Not with the taste, but with the price. A $9 sandwich, counter serviced, that's less than 6 inches and not overstuffed? My ass still hurts.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#20 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:21 PM

I disagree with you. Not with the taste, but with the price. A $9 sandwich, counter serviced, that's less than 6 inches and not overstuffed? My ass still hurts.

If it's less than 6", I don't see why your ass should hurt that much! ;)
signature