• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:01 PM

I am thinking of organizing an event in October to revisit Alba Osteria. I haven't talked to Kurt yet about nights but I am thinking of a Weds. because of our schedule.

http://www.albaosteria.com/

I am thinking of something similar to what we did last year. That will hopefully include some straying from items on the menu. It could also be another pescatarian meal like last year or not. I am thinking three courses - apps, pasta and desserts.

First things first. Are you interested and when could you come? I might not have a final date pinned down for a few weeks because I know they are on vacation very soon.

#2 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

Possibly. Depends when. Did we miss September? :D

#3 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:05 AM

Possibly. Depends when. Did we miss September? :lol:

September is never a good month for me to organize things but I bet someone else will step up.

#4 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:03 AM

It depends on when. Right now it's too far ahead for me to commit. I know I've got some after work meetings and some vacation time going on in October. Once the date is set I will know if I can make it or not.

Best regards,

Amanda

#5 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:28 AM

This was great last year and it's something I'd really like to do again. We are travelling a whole lot in October (10/11 - 14 and 10/19 - 11/11), so don't move things just for me. But if the stars align, I hope to be there!

#6 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:42 PM

Something came up today. I may have to go to NY in October to deal with family business/obligations. It's looking that way. If so I am going to have to push this out to late October or early Nov.

#7 craig

craig
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

For Oct, Th and Fri's are best for me. Monday's may open up in Nov.

Is this the only way to see Flynn in person?
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#8 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

Made my NY plans today. It's likely that this event will be late Oct. or early Nov. Date still TBD.

#9 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

Is this the only way to see Flynn in person?

It definitely increases the odds!

I'm of course interested in this, depending on the date.

#10 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

I spoke with Kurt briefly last night. When he gets back from his vacation (in Sept.), I will start some serious planning. He's happy to deviate from the restaurant menu again and the clams in white sauce on linguine are a must for me (not often seen in PDX and his just rocks) so I am going to be doing some thinking and research. I've heard some requests for another veggie and fish based menu like last year and I am thrilled to go that way.

Once again, I am thinking family style for the apps and pastas and dessert off the restaurant menu. Kurt said he hoped the price of crab would come down so he could do something with that. We'll see.

We ate at Alba last night instead of Toro Bravo. It's been a long week and we didn't want to make the trek to NoPo. There was a variant of Tortoni on the dessert menu. The frozen portion of it was what I'd expect and good. I didn't like that it was on a thick cookie crust (bottom and sides) served as a frozen pie. This detracted from and overpowered the frozen filling mostly in terms of texture and a bit in terms of flavor. And for anyone who grew up eating this dessert it's just weird. Since Jed, the pastry chef, dropped by to ask our opinion we gave it. As happy as I was to see Tortoni on a Portland menu, this just wasn't quite "it". I think he might take our feedback into consideration. Jill told him it was traditional to serve the frozen tortoni in a paper cup. I've also seen in unmolded into glass ice dishes though most of the time, the paper cup is what you get. Hopefully, there will be a traditional tortoni the night of our dinner.

For dates, I am thinking Oct. 24 or Nov. 7 (maybe Nov. 14). I'd do it earlier Angelhair but Jill is going to be gone one week and I will be gone another in Oct.

#11 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

I'd do it earlier Angelhair but Jill is going to be gone one week and I will be gone another in Oct.

That's okay, though I will miss being there with you all!

#12 Lor

Lor
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:35 PM

this sounds good, sign me up.....I just drove by the place so I know where it is too..

#13 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:10 PM

Consider me signed up... :wub:
Thanks,

Sarah

#14 johnpend

johnpend
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:02 AM

We might like to come to this; not that familiar with portlandfood.org (though I seem to be a member!). We eat often at Alba's, so something off the regular menu would be very interesting...I'll watch this space... Thanks! John

#15 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:42 PM

Consider me signed up... :)
Thanks,

Sarah

Yeah!!! It's been far too long since we've seen you young lady. I will have more details in a bit.

#16 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:43 PM

We might like to come to this; not that familiar with portlandfood.org (though I seem to be a member!). We eat often at Alba's, so something off the regular menu would be very interesting...I'll watch this space... Thanks! John

Well, our group get togethers seem to be fun for most people who come. I will try to find the FAQ post about the things to know before coming to our events in a bit and put a link here. We look forward to meeting you.

#17 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:53 PM

Well, our group get togethers seem to be fun for most people who come. I will try to find the FAQ post about the things to know before coming to our events in a bit and put a link here. We look forward to meeting you.

Looking for this? Informal Group Rules, what to know before you go
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#18 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 02:09 PM

Thanks, John. Been gone for a bit and am catching up.

#19 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 16 September 2007 - 02:21 PM

Thanks, John. Been gone for a bit and am catching up.

Welcome Back! :)
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#20 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 02:38 PM

I think either of those dates would work for me...consider me interested but still tentative?