• 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:54 AM

This was forwarded to me. So funny! The Trader Joe's song:

#102 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:30 AM

I love that, Angelhair. Especially the repeated mentions of things that aren't there anymore....

#103 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:13 AM

That's totally fun! What a great song.

Best regards,

Amanda

#104 SunnyScorpio

SunnyScorpio
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

Veggie potstickers, frozen biscuits, and mini meatballs were all a HUGE hit for my party, happy to report. Someone was raving about the meatballs I "made" ha ha. Just did a doctored up bottle BBQ sauce, added some bourbon, mustard, brown sugar, and tad ketchup and made a nice barely-coated BBQ sauce to them. Only caution for folks on the biscuits is that some of the packages the biscuits are frozen rock hard together in one large block; I had to slightly defrost them first just to separate them. Also, the cooking time took much longer than directions said (could be my oven though).

The thing I've most been in awe over regarding Trader Joe's is their pricing on Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Every now and then a certain variety of Extra Virgin Olive Oil will go on sale at another grocer for as much as 50% off, but you can get any one-liter bottle of cold-pressed, often first-flush Extra Virgin Olive Oil below $9 there. Their one-liter bottle of Kalamata Olive Oil is still priced at $8.49 there, as is Santini's Imported Extra Virgin Olive Oil. ^__^

I also have tried their Organic Maple Agave Syrup Blend, and it is quite satisfying. Considering how pricey both these sweeteners are usually, $3.29 per eight fluid-ounce bottle is quite a decent buy! ^__^

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

#105 Goodfoodcheap

Goodfoodcheap
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

I love the honey greek yogurt, the tzatziki, the dark chocolate covered raisins, the lime bars, and many things more. The prices on most cheeses are pretty good too. The new limeade/pomegranate juice is excellent...

#106 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:35 AM

Their inexpensive Syrahs drink a lot like $20 bottles. They have one labeled "RCTJWF" or some such...it's supposed to be an acronym for Really Cool Trader Joe's Wine Find.

But these wines have a slightly negative effect: now I bristle whenever I'm in another supermarket and I see a "value wine" priced at $7.99. That seems expensive, I think to myself, and then catch myself...it's not expensive, really. It's only expensive compared to TJ's! Unfortunately one can't live on TJ's wine alone.

The prices on their mid- to high-end wines are NOT so great, though.

Things I buy exclusively at TJ's:

Inexpensive wines
Pre-popped white cheddar popcorn
Cedarwood & Sage multipurpose cleaner (much better version of Simple Green)
Dr. Bronner's soap
lavash bread
Cheeses: Grana Padano, Port Salut, peccorino, Iberico, creme fraiche, European cheddars, a few others
rice crackers, particularly the soy-flavored variety
heirloom-type grape tomatoes
olive oils
some bottled sauces such as spinach, schwarma, curries
langoustinos, jumbo shrimp
meringues
hummus
Fage yogurt (Greek-style)
chicken sausages - not because of spectacular quality, but they have great prices

Stuff we rarely buy there:
most produce
lunch meats
beers <--something I buy rarely, anyhow
"fresh" seafood
flowers
precooked entrees or side dishes

Dang, there is more I want to add, but I have to jet off to work.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#107 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

This past week I bought a rack of ribs. It was a fully cooked sauced rack of Niman Ranch St. Louis Style pork ribs. I usually don't buy this kind of thing but we love ribs and I am always looking for something really quick for dinner a couple of nights a week. The directions said to cook on a medium grill 7 minutes each side.

I threw together a quick slaw in the morning before I left for work. I asked Calabrese to take the ribs out of the fridge when she got home so they would be close to room temp. When I got home, I opened the package carefully and removed the ribs and there was plenty of sauce. So I took most of it and heated it through for dipping, and took a little of it to brush on the ribs as they cooked. Because they were pre-sauced, I watched them carefully and turned the grill down a bit, lower than medium so they would not burn.

About 15 minutes later we had some very tasty ribs. The sauce is sweet, but not at all cloying and gloppy, with a slight kick (not too much for us heat wimps). The ribs are trimmed and not fatty at all - just enough to keep them moist.

I've cooked ribs on the grill before, trimming them myself, using my own rub and homemade sauce and it takes hours. I'll still do that every now and then, but these ribs were so good that I will buy these more often when I want ribs without the fuss. I was really surprised at how good they were...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#108 craig

craig
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:17 PM

New item: Mediterranean Hummus. (the other wasn't???) 16 oz and a slightly better deal (from memory, $3.99 for 16oz vs $2.19 for 8oz for the regular) than their regular hummus which they still carry. But wow, the flavor and creaminess -- it is really really close to what I make at home. If you like hummus, you should try it.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#109 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:49 PM

New item: Mediterranean Hummus. (the other wasn't???) 16 oz and a slightly better deal (from memory, $3.99 for 16oz vs $2.19 for 8oz for the regular) than their regular hummus which they still carry. But wow, the flavor and creaminess -- it is really really close to what I make at home. If you like hummus, you should try it.

Thanks for the tip Craig! Their regular hummus is grainy and with a slight cumin taste, or something that doesn't belong there. Since you said this was creamy, I'm betting it's closer to what I make as well & am excited to try it!

#110 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

This past week I bought a rack of ribs. It was a fully cooked sauced rack of Niman Ranch St. Louis Style pork ribs. I usually don't buy this kind of thing but we love ribs and I am always looking for something really quick for dinner a couple of nights a week. The directions said to cook on a medium grill 7 minutes each side.

I still dig those ribs every time they come home.

#111 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:40 PM

Not to mention the Italian truffle cheese. A nice "tartufo" experience for not very much money.

#112 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

Not to mention the Italian truffle cheese. A nice "tartufo" experience for not very much money.

It's a staple around here. As always with TJ's cheese though, choose carefully.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#113 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:59 PM

Anyone tried the chili lime nut mix? That stuff is killer! Peanuts, cashews, almonds with lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, and pieces of hot red chillies. I'm thinking about how to use it in ice cream and in the mean time, eating it late at night when I get home. I'm here to tell you it goes extremely well with the Ninkasi Spring Reign.
Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#114 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

Anyone tried the chili lime nut mix? That stuff is killer! Peanuts, cashews, almonds with lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, and pieces of hot red chillies. I'm thinking about how to use it in ice cream and in the mean time, eating it late at night when I get home. I'm here to tell you it goes extremely well with the Ninkasi Spring Reign.

I read this & went grabbed a bag yesterday along with the med-style hummus Craig mentioned. Holy Hell the chili lime nut mix is firey hot! My nose is running as I'm eating them & typing. I don't usually like stuff this fiercely hot, but these have such great flavor! You can really taste the lime and lemongrass, all the flavors come through so well. Reminds me of the chili peanuts at pok pok. I can't imagine them in an ice cream, can't wait to see what you come up with!

I loved the texture of the med-style hummus but thought the flavor was okay. I don't like my tahini-garbanzo-lemon-olive oil mixed with "other spices" as an ingredient in hummus. I just like the straight pure taste of the main ingredients in a super smooth texture like they've produced perfectly.

#115 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:59 PM

I have to take back my comment about not being able to imagine an ice cream out of the TJ's Thai nut mix. After eating a handful of the stuff, I had to put out the fire so I grabbed a spoonful of some Haagen Dazs Five ginger ice cream out of the freezer and it was surprisingly very complimentary to the flavors in the nut mix. Huh!

#116 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

So noted!! :blink:
Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#117 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:56 PM

I have to take back my comment about not being able to imagine an ice cream out of the TJ's Thai nut mix. After eating a handful of the stuff, I had to put out the fire so I grabbed a spoonful of some Haagen Dazs Five ginger ice cream out of the freezer and it was surprisingly very complimentary to the flavors in the nut mix. Huh!

None the less, the nut mix is AWESOME! I'm getting some flank steak from HMart this weekend, and marinate them with lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and garlic. Then I'm gonna throw some of those nut mix on top of the grill flank steak. Also making some rice noodle toss with the same marinade and the nut mix. Will report back how that works. My mouth is on fire now from that nut mix and it feels sooooooo gooooooddddd!

Thx EVA for the find!

Cheers,
Ellen and Ed
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#118 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:00 PM

None the less, the nut mix is AWESOME! I'm getting some flank steak from HMart this weekend, and marinate them with lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and garlic. Then I'm gonna throw some of those nut mix on top of the grill flank steak. Also making some rice noodle toss with the same marinade and the nut mix. Will report back how that works. My mouth is on fire now from that nut mix and it feels sooooooo gooooooddddd!

Thx EVA for the find!

Cheers,
Ellen and Ed

THat sounds REALLY good! Yes, they are awesome, I'm on my second bag already! :-) We were in Cool Moon yesterday and I should've tried the thai peanut ginger ice cream flavor (or whatever the combo was). I got distracted (2 year old along) and forgot. Next time!

#119 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:33 AM

I tried their frozen chocolate croissants after reading many positive reviews and am very pleased with this product. It reminds me of Nuvrei's flaky and light, airy interior with just enough bittersweet chocolate (by comparison, Ken's croissant is more buttery with a more crusty exterior). The baking directions are really simple: leave on your counter overnight for 9 hours to proof, it expands to 4X its size, then bake 20 min. after brushing with egg wash. Very consistent quality. I also tried the almond version and it tasted more like a plain croissant with a hint of almond paste.

It's perfect for those of us who live in the outer territories and can't get into Portland for a proper fix.