Trader Joe's

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#41 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:36 AM

At TJ's today I sampled some of their tamales with green chilis and cheese. Normally I'd steer clear of pre packaged *stuff* but these were really good, so I bought some. The filling is sort of bland, but the masa is light and airy and reminded me of the tamales I grew up with! Some great salsa with a dollop of crema will liven them up perfectly. 4 for 3.99 in the refrigerated section

I eat those all the time. They're one of the only frozen pre-made things I buy.

These are fresh, not frozen. It's a fairly new product, I think they've had them for around 5-6 months. They still carry the frozen, but these are much better!

Sadness. I looked for these when I went to Joe's this afternoon. I found them and unfortunately took a look at the nutrition information before putting the three packages into the cart. I just couldn't justify the amount of fat for one tamale. Stupid health-conscious conscience.

But I did buy some other favorites - the aioli garlic mustard sauce and a big container of greek-style plain yogurt. And cheap Airborne tablets, too!

Yeah I know, a good tamale has fat period. It's one of those foods you just need to enjoy once in a while regardless. If there was a posted sign with fat content at the Salvadore Molly's booth at the F.M. the line would probably be shorter. Close your eyes and eat em! A low fat tamale would rival a door stop.

#42 doit

doit
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:18 AM

Yeah I know, a good tamale has fat period. It's one of those foods you just need to enjoy once in a while regardless. If there was a posted sign with fat content at the Salvadore Molly's booth at the F.M. the line would probably be shorter. Close your eyes and eat em! A low fat tamale would rival a door stop.

Ignorance is such bliss for me when it comes to foods & fat! As long as I don't have hard data in front of me with the exact nutrition information, I'll eat up all sorts of rich, luscious things. But once I see how much fat/sodium/cholestorol I'm about to consume, the pleasure's gone. :blush: I'm ridiculous that way.

#43 PDuckX

PDuckX
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

Their tapioca pudding is the best.

#44 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

Ignorance is such bliss for me when it comes to foods & fat! As long as I don't have hard data in front of me with the exact nutrition information, I'll eat up all sorts of rich, luscious things. But once I see how much fat/sodium/cholestorol I'm about to consume, the pleasure's gone. :lol: I'm ridiculous that way.

Good grief I'm the same way. Please god don't ever let John DePaula post caloric values of his caramels or K&Z god forbid post anything repeat anything about the pastami....Please NEVER! NEVER!!!!!
Edit I'm not religious but if helps........

#45 piggly_wiggly

piggly_wiggly
  • Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:11 AM

Ignorance is such bliss for me when it comes to foods & fat! As long as I don't have hard data in front of me with the exact nutrition information, I'll eat up all sorts of rich, luscious things. But once I see how much fat/sodium/cholestorol I'm about to consume, the pleasure's gone. :lol: I'm ridiculous that way.

Good grief I'm the same way. Please god don't ever let John DePaula post caloric values of his caramels or K&Z god forbid post anything repeat anything about the pastami....Please NEVER! NEVER!!!!!

I can't quote my source, but my understanding is that smoking process sweats all the calories out of the pastrami. It's veritable health food. There are those who believe it's actually a caloric black hole, so you know, you overindulge in something else, just hit up K&Z, and you're golden.

Just sayin'.... :angry:

#46 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:01 AM

Ignorance is such bliss for me when it comes to foods & fat! As long as I don't have hard data in front of me with the exact nutrition information, I'll eat up all sorts of rich, luscious things. But once I see how much fat/sodium/cholestorol I'm about to consume, the pleasure's gone. :rolleyes: I'm ridiculous that way.

I can't quote my source, but my understanding is that smoking process sweats all the calories out of the pastrami. It's veritable health food. There are those who believe it's actually a caloric black hole, so you know, you overindulge in something else, just hit up K&Z, and you're golden.

Just sayin'.... :lol:

:D :D :D

Oh great! What a relief, I was so worried! Thanks for the funny!

#47 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:54 AM

Those tamales are much much better than the frozen ones.. pretty darn good!

#48 duck833

duck833
  • Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:34 AM

Ignorance is such bliss for me when it comes to foods & fat! As long as I don't have hard data in front of me with the exact nutrition information, I'll eat up all sorts of rich, luscious things. But once I see how much fat/sodium/cholestorol I'm about to consume, the pleasure's gone. :( I'm ridiculous that way.

Just sayin'.... :lol:

Also the great IPA that I drink with the pastrami is guaranteed to cut and neutralize all the fat. If you have two it actually lowers your bad stuff.

#49 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

Ignorance is such bliss for me when it comes to foods & fat! As long as I don't have hard data in front of me with the exact nutrition information, I'll eat up all sorts of rich, luscious things. But once I see how much fat/sodium/cholestorol I'm about to consume, the pleasure's gone. :( I'm ridiculous that way.

Just sayin'.... :D

Also the great IPA that I drink with the pastrami is guaranteed to cut and neutralize all the fat. If you have two it actually lowers your bad stuff.

I was thinking a brisk walk to Teardrop for a mai tai after pastrami consumation would have a similar effect. :lol:

#50 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

I was thinking a brisk walk to Teardrop for a mai tai after pastrami consumation would have a similar effect. :(

And here I thought the proper 'meat' for consummation was salami. :lol:

#51 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

I was thinking a brisk walk to Teardrop for a mai tai after pastrami consumation would have a similar effect. :(

And here I thought the proper 'meat' for consummation was salami. :lol:

Hey it's still a hunk of meat!

#52 daawgon

daawgon
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

My dog loves the (canned) Chunky Chicken Dog Food, and it lists no "by-products" on the label. Another great product - Joint & Hip Support Dog Biscuits (peanut butter) - one of the few dog biscuits that he really likes.

#53 AnnieTea

AnnieTea
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:50 PM

I buy almost everything there. What I see there is free of 'evil ingredients' (partially hydrogenated fats and high fructose corn syrup) and at a fraction of the cost of Whole Foods. My husband swears by Virgil's Root Beer ($2 less than elsewhere for a 4-pack), I love their chocolate yogurt and the Greek yogurt, the great bread and cheese assortment, frozen chocolate croissants to bake at home, and tasty champagnes. Our dogs enjoy the canned dog food as well as the chicken stick treats. Can't go wrong with that store.

#54 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:36 AM

Our dogs love the molasses biscuits.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#55 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:51 PM

Ignorance is such bliss for me when it comes to foods & fat! As long as I don't have hard data in front of me with the exact nutrition information, I'll eat up all sorts of rich, luscious things. But once I see how much fat/sodium/cholestorol I'm about to consume, the pleasure's gone. <_< I'm ridiculous that way.

I get a cookie most afternoons from Paradise Bakery downtown and eat it with my afternoon tea. Two weeks ago I decided that I *really* should find out just how many calories I'm ingesting with this little treat. So I sent an e-mail to the company headquarters and asked for the calories count.

They sent a note back that while very polite basically said, we're not going to tell you. :P

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#56 Gugelhupf

Gugelhupf
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

Wow! Is that legal? By the way, their chocolate chip cookies are much better these days. I think they might have changed their recipe about a month ago or so. But I think the Three Lions chocolate chip are most like the tollhouse homemade kind.

But back to TJ's - I love their tzatziki!

~A~

#57 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:54 PM

Wow! Is that legal? By the way, their chocolate chip cookies are much better these days. I think they might have changed their recipe about a month ago or so. But I think the Three Lions chocolate chip are most like the tollhouse homemade kind.

But back to TJ's - I love their tzatziki!

~A~

What they said to me was that they were putting together a list of the nutrient information regarding their products and that I was welcome to write them back in the third quarter of 2008 when that would be available. So technically, they didn't tell me *no* but they did put the onerous back on me to get it from them.

Personally I'm partial to the chocolate chip and pecan cookie myself B)

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#58 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:09 PM

Ever since we started this whole vegan thing at home, TJ's has been a g-dsend.

I love that they have both frozen and shelf-stable cooked brown rice.

Their vegan soups are dull, dull, dull, but Joe's had good success with their cup o'noodles.

I picked up the fresh cooked lentils yesterday and noticed steamed, ready to eat beets right next to them (that came home with me, yep). And then I noticed the shelf-stable cooked lentils. So I'll be tucking those into our meals, yep.

We used to hit TJ's all the time and since they've moved, we don't go as often. That's probably not a bad thing, as we'd hoard stuff either way...

#59 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:10 PM

Their vegan soups are dull, dull, dull, but Joe's had good success with their cup o'noodles.

I picked up the fresh cooked lentils yesterday and noticed steamed, ready to eat beets right next to them (that came home with me, yep). And then I noticed the shelf-stable cooked lentils. So I'll be tucking those into our meals, yep.

We used to hit TJ's all the time and since they've moved, we don't go as often. That's probably not a bad thing, as we'd hoard stuff either way...

vj, have you tried the Morga vegetable bouillon cubes? If you need to perk up a vegan soup, I'd start with that. The cubes are expensive but I haven't tasted anything else that comes close.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#60 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:04 AM

vj, have you tried the Morga vegetable bouillon cubes? If you need to perk up a vegan soup, I'd start with that. The cubes are expensive but I haven't tasted anything else that comes close.

John,

Where does one acquire "Morga Vegetable Bouillion" cubes? I've been cutting back on animal products and any hints will help. I've been using lots of dried shitake in my vegetable stock for body and flavor.