• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:27 PM

One thing I will say about TJ's if you are looking for good cheeses without maxed out prices (and there's a cheese shop or two that deserves it because of their sourcing and handling but New Seasons especially and Whole Paycheck to a degree charge a lot for cheese that is not well handled and I cannot comment on sourcing because I don't have facts). Anyway TJ's is a good supermarket for cheese shopping.

#22 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:41 PM

I'm afraid I have to disagree w/you on the overall recommendation. Calabrese. I have found that their cheese, mostly the varieties that are packaged in plastic wrap, molds quite a lot faster than cheese I buy elsewhere. I have had so many get super moldy within a week or so that, I have almost stopped buying cheese there unless it's in the sealed packages. By comparison, the cheese I buy at Costco, in those huge chunks, always lasts much longer without molding. It's unfortunate because I do agree with you about TJ's variety and prices.
Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#23 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:36 AM

I usually shop at the TJ's at Beaverton and don't have problems with that cheese. The Cedar Hills and Raleigh Hills New Season's cheese is sometimes put out on the shelf moldy (I've learned to be careful even before purchase) and often doesn't last long. I do know it's important to repackage cheese once you open it.

#24 Gugelhupf

Gugelhupf
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

Have been there a couple times and did like the spaciousness. I vow never to buy produce there ever again. Some of the tomatoes showed dark spots two days later. I did pick up a Paso Robles 2003 Zinfandel porty dessert wine - mainly because one of the best Zinfandel's I've ever had was from Paso Robles and the other reason is because Alphonse Mucha's work is on the label. :rolleyes: Hey, I'm a sucker. Hope it's good - if not, oh well, I can store it for 10 years and see what happens.
Also picked up the very last bottle of Sicilian olive oil that I've not seen at the NW TJ's - parents have mentioned it being on the east coast and hard to find there, too.

~A~

#25 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:41 AM

I am in lurve with their wasabi almonds!

#26 greycoral

greycoral
  • Members
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:my two pups, riding my bike, trying new foods

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:09 PM

ooo same with me on the produce. I bought some lemons there, they were packaged 4 to a bag (net type bag)...and were taken over by mold in about 4 days. Gross!
--Coral

#27 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

chicken potsickers-they're back! the factory burned down about a year ago, and they just started getting them back in

YES! Those potstickers were a life saver many a dinner when there was just no time at all. I always had a couple bags in the freezer and was so sad when they stopped carrying the little things. Life is good again :-).
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#28 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:14 PM

Yeah, it does suck that some items you love come and go and come back again. I love the chicken perogies and the chicken sausage calzone. And the frozen baby peas there are pretty good too.

#29 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:23 PM

Yeah, it does suck that some items you love come and go and come back again. I love the chicken perogies and the chicken sausage calzone. And the frozen baby peas there are pretty good too.

Years ago they used to have awesome frozen mini-taco's in a bag. They re-appeared awhile back in a box and aren't near as good.

Glad to hear the potstickers are back (my son will be thrilled).

#30 krispenn

krispenn
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:15 PM

Gugelhupf, there was a full shelf of the Silician Olive Oil when I was there this afternoon. One of the few items in the place that didn't look like it had been ransacked by stark ravingly hungry shoppers...

#31 Gugelhupf

Gugelhupf
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:17 AM

Eeeeeexcellent! Thanks for the tip, KP! :P
~A~

#32 darrenhurley

darrenhurley
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

I love Trader Joe's. I shop at the one off of 39th.

My fave items include, and not in any order, are

Organic Garbanzo Beans
Organic Black Beans
Spicy Indian Relish
La Bocca - It's cheap and drinkable
I also get their bag of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts. $5.99 a bag for about 24 you can't beat that

#33 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

At TJ's today I sampled some of their tamales with green chilis and cheese. Normally I'd steer clear of pre packaged *stuff* but these were really good, so I bought some. The filling is sort of bland, but the masa is light and airy and reminded me of the tamales I grew up with! Some great salsa with a dollop of crema will liven them up perfectly. 4 for 3.99 in the refrigerated section

#34 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

At TJ's today I sampled some of their tamales with green chilis and cheese. Normally I'd steer clear of pre packaged *stuff* but these were really good, so I bought some. The filling is sort of bland, but the masa is light and airy and reminded me of the tamales I grew up with! Some great salsa with a dollop of crema will liven them up perfectly. 4 for 3.99 in the refrigerated section

I eat those all the time. They're one of the only frozen pre-made things I buy.

#35 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

These are fresh, not frozen. It's a fairly new product, I think they've had them for around 5-6 months. They still carry the frozen, but these are much better!

#36 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:24 AM

So many things I love at TJs.

lavash
nuts, trail mix and dried fruits (tamari almonds are my favorites)
tortilla chips with flax seeds - so nutty and good
really tasty cottage cheese
cheap Plugra and regular butter
organic dairy and eggs at great prices
Mandarin orange chicken - droooool
frozen vegetables and fruit (I love the mixed berries)
sesame thins
JoJos - so much better than Oreos
cheese
natural meats
milk chocolate toffee pistachios - these are very dangerous, mainly because it's impossible to eat just one...or ten....

tejon, are the "sesame thins" you are refering to the quarter sized crispy cookies? I love those, I used to get them from Anzen when I was a kid and loaded up from Trader Joes but I haven't seen them in at least over a year.

I agree on the Jojos too. When I was trying to gain weight they were great.

I'm already on record about their Kerrigold butter. I shudder to think how much of that we go through. The great thing about Trader Joes is that, other than produce, if they have something you like its almost certainly at the lowest price in town.

I've been of the impression that the one in Vancouver doesn't carry flour. I've always found that odd, but I've looked for it at least a couple of times.

I like one of their varieties of frozen chicken burritos. They come 2 to a pack with and orange label and I have them for lunch usually once or twice a week at work.

I often stock up on their raw almonds, but what's the story there? I remember they had a recall a couple of years ago followed by labels of "almost raw" but are now labeled as raw again?

#37 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:56 PM

I just checked the pantry - the crackers I'm talking about are called "Savory thin mini crackers" and are a staple here. Very light and crunchy.
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#38 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

I just checked the pantry - the crackers I'm talking about are called "Savory thin mini crackers" and are a staple here. Very light and crunchy.

Thanks, I think I've seen those. :blush:

I guess I'll need to go to an Asian store to get my sesame cookies again.

#39 Hakan

Hakan
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

I loved the angus beef cut in strips and rolled for Philly cheese steaks. Little shrink wrapped packs one per sammi. Those rocked. Also, what the hell happened to the artichoke calzone? Used to be good, years ago.

#40 doit

doit
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

These are fresh, not frozen. It's a fairly new product, I think they've had them for around 5-6 months. They still carry the frozen, but these are much better!

Sadness. I looked for these when I went to Joe's this afternoon. I found them and unfortunately took a look at the nutrition information before putting the three packages into the cart. I just couldn't justify the amount of fat for one tamale. Stupid health-conscious conscience.

But I did buy some other favorites - the aioli garlic mustard sauce and a big container of greek-style plain yogurt. And cheap Airborne tablets, too!