Photo

Trader Joe's

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:50 PM

Yay! Open and airy. Still gets a little congested in popular spots but I didn't have anyone shove a cart up my butt once. Very glad it's open. Got my fave's...peach salsa, cream top yogurt, a little wine...so what's everyone's fave items there? I've tried a number of the items people have mentioned over at Chowhound just to figure out that we all have different tastes but I still thought it might be fun to have a thread here too. Whatcha eatin' or drinkin' from TJ?
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#2 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:18 PM

I just went today, and I swooned. The aisles are so wide!

I love their greek yogurt, the full fat one, it's decadent. Last week I tried their green tea baking mix for a cake. I don't normally do cake mixes, but I'm a sucker for all things green tea, and it was actually quite good, not too sweet with just the right amount of green tea flavor.

Today I bought lemons, avocados, goat cheese (3.99 for a huge thing of it), and a bunch of chocolate bars. I really like to go there for my baking supplies, though. King Arthur flour is less than three dollars compared with 3.59 at Fred Meyers, and over $4 at Wild Oats. I also like to get their cooking spray which is just $.99. I really like their organic garbanzo beans, too, they're my favorite brand.

It cracked me up today to see the same paddle plants I'm selling at W.O. for $11.99 there for $4 less. No wonder I couldn't re-order them this week, Trader Joe's is buying them all!

#3 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:30 PM

I stopped by on Wed.
From my understanding they officially said they didn't have very many 'new' items but they are now able to stock the shelves better and YES - YEAY- OPEN! Nice wide isles, no crowding around other shoppers, leaving my basket in a corner as it is to cramped to walk anywhere with it....
I bought some cheese, some wine, my Trader Joes Tasty Bite lunches, some canned tomatoes for sauce...
I didn't have a bag with me so my shopping was limited but I'll be back for a full run in a few days.
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#4 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

Oh, yeah...and there were parking spots. Lots of them. And now it's a shorter haul to the MAX if I am on foot. And they still had hamburger left. I usually shop late enough that half the time they're out. No more! Yay, yet again. And you gotta love it when you go a little crazy throwing things in your basket willy nilly like, trying new things and all, add a little wine, and your bill still only comes up to $50 or $60. Love it. Oh, and as always can't forget for best items list that they have the best selection and prices for dried fruits and nuts in town.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#5 Francine the Machine

Francine the Machine
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

Oh, I loves me some TJ's too! I get my regular cooking olive oil there, as it is a great deal - the Kalamata kind is quite good for a cheaper olive oil. Of course, cheese. The Wisconsin white cheddar is so good, as well as the great deals on stuff like Comte, that is more than twice the price at New Seasons and WF.

Second on the nuts and dried fruits - stock up on those quite a bit as we make our granola from scratch. Has anyone had the dried, salted apples? They're in the dried fruit aisle and they are a really great accompaniment to wine. My aunt turned me onto them, never would have thought to buy them otherwise.

I also like their vodka sauce. It's good for a night when you justcan't be bothered to make your own spaghetti sauce!

Yay, TJ! Can't wait to try the new store!

#6 GizmoCat

GizmoCat
  • Members
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Food, Music, Travel

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

The new store is great! I didn't realize that they had opened and tried to go to the old store...saw the "We've moved"sign and walked over to the new location.

My usual purchases are olive oil, pasta, mayo and salted almonds. This time, I also bought a couple of chocolate bars, of course, now I cannot remember their origin...haven't ripped their wrappers off yet to try them.

#7 daawgon

daawgon
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:37 PM

I was in the old store in mid July and was shocked to find out that the smaller stores do not carry TJ's Fire Roasted Guacamole - this is one fine dip! In addition to the guacamole, I regularly get the sliced Oat Bran Bread - great flavor and healthy. I am also addicted to the sparking juices and the Italian soda (especially Blood Orange).

TJ's Fan Club: http://www.traderjoesfan.com/

#8 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

First Lady olive oil
prepared packaged fully cooked lentils (awesome - just open the bag, add a vinaigrette, some chopped veggies, voila, lentil salad!)
thin almond cookies
frozen shrimp (always keep a bag in the freezer for quick shrimp salad)
Ritter dark chocolate and hazelnut bars
Belgian dark chocolate bars
doggie biscuits (for Zora and Zelda)
liquid hand soap
cheese (esp. brie, gouda, Cotswold)
greek 2% yogurt
Snap Pea Crisps
Trader Ming's Chinese Mustard Won Ton Chips
cinnamon almonds
jasmine green tea

I'm sure there are other things...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#9 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:49 PM

Those thin flat pretzle things and Double Rainbow ice cream (research, dontcha know :) )
Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#10 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:54 PM

I was pretty burnt out on and disappointed in Trader Joes until I opened a pack of Everything-flavored pretzel thins about 2 min ago. I can't stop eating them.

#11 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:19 PM

So many things I love at TJs.

lavash
nuts, trail mix and dried fruits (tamari almonds are my favorites)
tortilla chips with flax seeds - so nutty and good
really tasty cottage cheese
cheap Plugra and regular butter
organic dairy and eggs at great prices
Mandarin orange chicken - droooool
frozen vegetables and fruit (I love the mixed berries)
sesame thins
JoJos - so much better than Oreos
cheese
natural meats
milk chocolate toffee pistachios - these are very dangerous, mainly because it's impossible to eat just one...or ten....
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#12 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:10 AM

Tried a Trockenbeerenauslese from TJ's Saturday - 22 Bucks for a 375 ml bottle

Very late harvest desert wine. Unusual grape varietal - Ortega a cross between Muller Thurgau and Siegeribbe, which are respectively crosses between Reisling/Sylvaner and Gewurtraminer/Madeline D'Angeville.

Good balance of sweetness and acidity and very rich. Peaches, Apricots, Flowers in the nose and on the palate. Served it up with peaches and buttermilk panna cotta.

I'm going to pick up a few more bottles.

#13 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:20 AM

Try the gewurztraminer "ice wine" from Andrew Rich. About the same price, perhaps a bit lower.

#14 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

The Andrew Rich ice wine is very wonderful. Do they sell that at TJ's? I'll have to pay more attention. I'm looking forward to going to the new Hollywood store. The old one bugged me to the point where I'd go to the one in Vancouver or on SE 39th.

Best regards,

Amanda

#15 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:51 AM

The Andrew Rich ice wine is very wonderful. Do they sell that at TJ's?

No, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

#16 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:13 PM

Try the gewurztraminer "ice wine" from Andrew Rich. About the same price, perhaps a bit lower.

One of my favorite dessert wines ever. Sweet yet not cloying and more complex than a dessert Riesling. Seriously good stuff.

But yeah, not at TJ... You can get it at Wine Buys on Broadway on NE Broadway in the teens - a bit down Bway from the new TJ.. It was a guy there that introduced me to it, actually.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#17 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

The Andrew Rich ice wine is very wonderful. Do they sell that at TJ's?

No, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

Gee this was a TJ's thread, not I can top that. I've had the Andrew Rich - very good but Ice Box wine not a true Ice Wine (Ice Box Wine = Grapes frozen in a commercial cold storage facility, not on the vine). FYI several other wineries in the NW have also made some very good Ice Box wines too.

Great Wine Buys is on NE Broadway between 15th and 16th for clarification sake.

TBA for 22 bucks - Good Deal at TJ's, that's what I'm talking about! ;)

#18 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:57 PM

I've had the Andrew Rich - very good but Ice Box wine not a true Ice Wine (Ice Box Wine = Grapes frozen in a commercial cold storage facility, not on the vine).

I'm aware of that, which is why I put "ice wine" in those little quotey thingies. ;)

TBA for 22 bucks - Good Deal at TJ's, that's what I'm talking about! :P

TBA for $22 IS a great buy. I wasn't suggesting it wasn't, simply offering an additional option and not knowing if you were aware of it or not.

DAMN! I'm glad I didn't ask a question about trans fats. ;)

#19 greycoral

greycoral
  • Members
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:my two pups, riding my bike, trying new foods

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

I haven't gone over to the new TJs yet, though I pass it all the time. I'm only over in the hood later at night to go to the gym, and it closes at 9.

My favorites are:

paper towels: they're made from 100% recycled post consumer waste

pretzel slims

chicken potsickers-they're back! the factory burned down about a year ago, and they just started getting them back in

gorgonzola gnocchi

most of their frozen stuff
--Coral

#20 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

I stopped by there last week to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner (something a little spendier than $2 Chuck) and was ecstatic at the roominess! I almost wanted to turn cartwheels in the aisles there was that much space!

Sampled a bit of Asian Chicken Salad and it was tasty. Even though they supposedly have the same stuff as before I swear there is more to choose from. I look forward to going back when I've got more money and a lot of creative recipe ideas.

Best regards,

Amanda