• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#1 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:04 PM

anyone got details? after the Ten 01 debacle i thought they'd delay nutshell, but i'm hearing rumors it's open now somewhere in NoPo.

#2 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:56 PM

anyone got details? after the Ten 01 debacle i thought they'd delay nutshell, but i'm hearing rumors it's open now somewhere in NoPo.

I rode past it Saturday - it had a long, shotgun layout to it, and the large open area at a glance felt large and airy. It was empty as this was around 3pm, and two busy worker dudes looked confused as I slowed down. I was going to stop by for a beer but I had been recently harassed by a porch of punk rawkers drinking PBR (who chided me for riding a "girl's" bike), and felt like just going home.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#3 Rifleman69

Rifleman69
  • Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:19 PM

I rode past it Saturday - it had a long, shotgun layout to it, and the large open area at a glance felt large and airy. It was empty as this was around 3pm, and two busy worker dudes looked confused as I slowed down. I was going to stop by for a beer but I had been recently harassed by a porch of punk rawkers drinking PBR (who chided me for riding a "girl's" bike), and felt like just going home.

What's wrong with PBR? It is Portland's Best Refreshment.

#4 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:32 PM

So where is this place?
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#5 Jeff

Jeff
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:55 PM

What's wrong with PBR? It is Portland's Best Refreshment.

Just about everything BUT the PBR itself is what's wrong with PBR... :think:

#6 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

So where is this place?

Ducky - it's on Williams just south of Pix/Lompoc on the east side of the street.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#7 Dennis Mai

Dennis Mai
  • Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:I love Portland. Especially inner SE Portland.

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

You ride a Vespa? I love Vespas.

#8 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

ahahahaa...I hope so. You can't exactly tell Dick Cheney to fuck off and then ride away tuff on a Vespa.

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:49 PM

ahahahaa...I hope so. You can't exactly tell Dick Cheney to fuck off and then ride away tuff on a Vespa.

I don't know. Might be perfect -- kind of like Road Runner giving Coyote a beep-beep before speeding off.

Of course, the problem is that Cheney could run you down like the Terminator 2 dude and shoot you in the face. Better to have more horsepower.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#10 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

i'm pretty sure he rocks a cruiser bike. point of fact, however, is there is a moped gang in my neighborhood.

i am serious.

no really.

really. they piss me off.

#11 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:19 AM

So where is this place?

Ducky - it's on Williams just south of Pix/Lompoc on the east side of the street.

Thanks, Pollo!
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#12 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:46 AM

Oh, I should stop by there, it's very near my haus.

#13 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:54 AM

They open at 4:30 in the afternoon. Don't know the house number but as noted, it's between Beech and Failing on Williams, a half block from Pix, but on the opposite side of the street. I can't wait to go.

#14 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

Has anyone seen a menu yet? I'm I correct in thinking that it's all vegetarian? I'd be up for going one night, or even better if they were open for lunch on the weekends.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#15 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:30 PM

It's vegan. (ducking arrows)

I checked it out with a buddy tonight. good stuff, awesome gorilla logo, Rasta/Jamaican bent to the food, the music and the vibe. This is a Tabla backed joint, so we're talking about real food and talented cooks.

There's salt and olive oil service and Pearl Bakery bread; interesting wine list and a handful of good beer. They've got shelves set up for retail in the front--they charge retail for the wine + $5 corkage ($4 if you byow). they've got a pizza oven in the back that isn't running yet and they're planning 24hr delivery pizza. the space is large but there are only a few tables, all but one large built-in booths.

#16 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for TOFTT. While I don't normally do Vegan, if it's good I'll give them a try.

You didn't happen to notice if they are open for lunch on weekends by any chance?

Thanks,

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#17 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

Nutshell
3808 N Williams Ave Suite C
Portland, 97227
503 292 2627
togofood@nutshellpdx.com

(nutshellpdx.com redirects to Tabla's homepage)

I believe right now they open around 4, but the whole 24hr pizza thing leads me to believe they'll have extended hours soon enough.

#18 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:19 PM

It's vegan. (ducking arrows)

I checked it out with a buddy tonight. good stuff, awesome gorilla logo, Rasta/Jamaican bent to the food, the music and the vibe. This is a Tabla backed joint, so we're talking about real food and talented cooks.

There's salt and olive oil service and Pearl Bakery bread; interesting wine list and a handful of good beer. They've got shelves set up for retail in the front--they charge retail for the wine + $5 corkage ($4 if you byow). they've got a pizza oven in the back that isn't running yet and they're planning 24hr delivery pizza. the space is large but there are only a few tables, all but one large built-in booths.

I've never had vegan pizza. But 24 hour vegan pizza delivery? I'd hit that at least once. For instance, I'd order it right now.

#19 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:41 PM

I've had Bella Faccia's vegan pizza. Wouldn't repeat. Pizza without cheese is like a hamburger without meat. You can make a good sandwich without ground beef, but it loses the hamburger gestalt.

I'm really surprised some of these places decide to go vegan. It SOOOO limits your menu and your potential clientelle. I'd go to a good vegetarian restaurant fairly often. And they could still have half their menu vegan if so inclined.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#20 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:11 PM

to each their own, i guess.

fwiw, the 'vegan' thing isn't plastered all over the place--the word itself is not to be found in print. EVOO, on the other hand, is f*cking everywhere. My server said 'everything is vegan' and that was it. no more.