Colosso

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Maude L.

Maude L.
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:27 AM

I found some impromptu reviews of Collosso in another thread but I thought it could use its own post. Please merge if necessary.

Colosso Restaurant & Tapas Bar
1932 NE Broadway St.
503-288-3333
5:00pm - 12:00am Sun-Thu
5:00pm - 2:00am Fri-Sat

No website, but you can view the Citysearch profile here and the CubeSpace review here.

I stopped by Collosso on Wednesday night to celebrate my new freedom of 21-year-old-ness. The decor is very dark, very red, and very warm. I mean, literally. I got sweaty after sitting in there for just a few minutes. Try to get yourself a seat outside if you can, or at least near the door so you can enjoy the breeze. The drinks were great. I had "Daddy's Cosmo", my brother had a "Naughty Kitty" (an obvious nod to his unflinching masculinity that he felt comfortable ordering such a drink) and my partner got their famous spicy pepper tequila drink. All of them were tasty, although my favorite was the Kitty-- crushed strawberries with lime juice and (I think) lime vodka. Tangy, sweet, and fresh.

We snacked on the roasted nuts-- yum!-- and enjoyed some freshly-baked bread. We didn't order any other food, but it seemed like a fun, hip spot. I'll definitely return in the future to try their tapas and cocktails.

#2 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:30 PM

I've always found the food there to be mostly pretty mediocre and the service to be indifferent at best, flat out atrocious at worst. Haven't been there in 4 years, so that may have changed, tho I'd be surprised.

Compared to Toro Bravo they're, well, no comparison. And TB is no more expensive.
signature

#3 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

I tried Collosso once about five years ago. I found the food to be insipid and the service was completely inattentive considering they had very little business that night (one other table when we were in there). I never went back. Now maybe, they've changed since then but I wasn't interested in going back.

#4 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:05 PM

If you didn't like it then, you'd most likely hate it now. It has continued to go downhill especially after Julie sold it. Several years ago...(7 maybe) I found it pretty good for what was available then. It was a regular neighborhood spot for us when we lived close by. Its so bad now I can't stand to waste money there. It is incidentally substanstially more expensive than Toro Bravo. For the record "back in the day" (when the house vodka wasn't rot gut) The great gal (name escapes me) who created all those fabulous drinks on Colosso's menu now owns Victory on Division. She was the talent at Colosso and a total treat to have her mix you a drink. I've been to visit her establishment a few times now.

Portland has so many fantastic choices when it comes to drinking and dining. I'm afraid I'm too spoiled to put up with lousy food and service. My 2 cents

#5 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:08 PM

Mods for search purposes it's spelled Colosso...One l :P

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

Mods for search purposes it's spelled Colosso...One l :P

Done.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#7 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:18 AM

The great gal (name escapes me) who created all those fabulous drinks on Colosso's menu now owns Victory on Division. She was the talent at Colosso and a total treat to have her mix you a drink. I've been to visit her establishment a few times now.

Amelia? She used to be at the Aalto Lounge, too. Loved her.

#8 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:52 AM

The great gal (name escapes me) who created all those fabulous drinks on Colosso's menu now owns Victory on Division. She was the talent at Colosso and a total treat to have her mix you a drink. I've been to visit her establishment a few times now.

Amelia? She used to be at the Aalto Lounge, too. Loved her.

Yes Yes! Thats her! Thanks LC

#9 Maude L.

Maude L.
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

I guess Citysearch had the wrong spelling, too. Mm. Sorry about that.

Mods for search purposes it's spelled Colosso...One l :shifty:

Done.

#10 Marya

Marya
  • Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:47 PM

I've had some very decent things there (admittedly not in the last 2 years): a very nice lemony spinach and chick peas dish and mushrooms braised in madeira were memorable. They had a special of fried hot peppers once that my friend who lived in Spain was very excited about.

The service has always been freaking weird, though: I went there with five other women once and we were so successfully ignored after our initial order that not one of us got a drink refill, and we would have liked some. Hard to see how a bar can survive that way.

#11 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:53 AM

If you didn't like it then, you'd most likely hate it now. It has continued to go downhill especially after Julie sold it. Several years ago...(7 maybe) I found it pretty good for what was available then. It was a regular neighborhood spot for us when we lived close by. Its so bad now I can't stand to waste money there. It is incidentally substanstially more expensive than Toro Bravo. For the record "back in the day" (when the house vodka wasn't rot gut) The great gal (name escapes me) who created all those fabulous drinks on Colosso's menu now owns Victory on Division. She was the talent at Colosso and a total treat to have her mix you a drink. I've been to visit her establishment a few times now.

Portland has so many fantastic choices when it comes to drinking and dining. I'm afraid I'm too spoiled to put up with lousy food and service. My 2 cents

She has sold her interest in Victory, I believe.

#12 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

She has sold her interest in Victory, I believe.

Is she leaving then?

#13 eeldip

eeldip
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

i always had a big crush on julie.... jus sayin.

#14 BaconLuv

BaconLuv
  • Members
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:bacon, comfort food, vintage cocktails, karaoke

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:56 PM

Has Colosso closed? I drove by it today and the sign was gone and the inside appeared to be in disarray.
The ironclad rule on music in any kitchen I control: NO Billy Joel, NO Grateful Dead. - Tony Bourdain

#15 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

Yep. RIP. :)

Best regards,

Amanda

#16 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:30 PM

Not to shit on a place when it's down (well gone).. it was horrible the one time I went.