Bend, Sisters, Redmond, Sunriver

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 amtbr

amtbr
  • Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:16 AM

Bend Brewing Co. is cool as well, good beer and slightly above average pub food. Skip the deschutes public house, tourist trap...

#22 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:47 AM

So are there any good restaurants (excepting pizza) IN the town of Sisters? We are going there for the folk festival on Sept 8/9. We will have our dogs with us, so we like to go to places where we can sit outside with them, although they can stay in the van (air conditioner running if it's hot out) so we can eat without them too.

We will be bypassing other sites along the way since we're going to be coming out on Friday evening after work and leaving Saturday late afternoon/evening. Thanks

#23 lifes2short

lifes2short
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:18 PM

Do you mind a total dive, but with good food? The Ski Inn has been around for eons (it looked like a dump when I was a kid) but is a family favorite. They have some tables outside, so perfect for with your dog. They have good shakes and burgers, but are better known for their breakfasts. I have not had breakfast there, but DH and DS have and said it is good. It is on the far end of town, on the left side, as you head toward Bend.

#24 hidenseek

hidenseek
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:36 PM

So are there any good restaurants (excepting pizza) IN the town of Sisters?

I doubt it. We walked around the town looking a couple weeks ago, and settled on Bronco Billy's as the place that at least looked the nicest. Big mistake! I'd remembered Amanda's advice, and should have taken it. We weren't in the mood for it, but I think there are a couple options for Mexican. Everything though, is very casual, and I remember seeing a number of places where your dogs would probably be welcome.

#25 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:37 PM

I ate at the Ski Inn last time I was in that area back in March. Excellent little mom & pop burger joint. I totally forgot the name of the place until you posted it, Lifes2short! I had a mushroom swiss burger basket and it was wonderful!

I don't think it's a dive. Seems more like just a little local cafe/diner type of place. It's pretty small inside, but I imagine it would be an excellent place to eat outside in nice weather. From what I gathered, plenty of local people eat there. They all seemed to know each other and we were the odd travellers, I guess. At least at that time of year.

Best regards,

Amanda

#26 lifes2short

lifes2short
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:02 PM

Amanda--Yes, it is usually full of locals, any time of the year. Great place though!

#27 Foamer

Foamer
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:13 PM

There is a nice "family type" restaurant to the west of the downtown area - I believe it shares it's parking lot with Ray's IGA.

My wife and I also enjoyed a deli-type restaurant with a railroad theme (Sister's Station?) that was on the north side of the main drag near the west end of it. They had large-scale model trains running around just below the ceiling.

This info is based off of a trip we took during spring break 2005 - caveat emptor and all that.

#28 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

Hi
You know- we still have not made it to Sisters yet. There were fires and we had pup sitter difficulties, I am still planning on going and I still appreciate all the answers. The "dive" sounds excellent, btw :(

#29 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

There is a nice "family type" restaurant to the west of the downtown area - I believe it shares it's parking lot with Ray's IGA.

My wife and I also enjoyed a deli-type restaurant with a railroad theme (Sister's Station?) that was on the north side of the main drag near the west end of it. They had large-scale model trains running around just below the ceiling.

This info is based off of a trip we took during spring break 2005 - caveat emptor and all that.

We had breakfast at the family-type restaurant. I can't remember the name but it was OK - not memorable but decent. There was a sleepy cat on a chair on the patio which enhanced the experience.

The rest of the time we ate at the park, where the main stage was. Some decent hot dogs, great fresh-made ginger ale. We saw the Mom and Pop place but didn't stop there. I'll try it next time.

#30 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:11 PM

We're going to take a few days off right after Christmas and are heading to Sunriver. We're looking for unpretentious, low-key places to eat, preferably non-smoking.

Do you have any places to recommend?

:lol:

#31 Denise

Denise
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:32 PM

For BBQ, try

Baldy's Barbeque

235 SW Century Dr
Bend, OR 97701

I had the pulled pork sandwich and dh had the ribs. Both very good. The building used to be a Chinese restaraunt, I think. Cute, casual place popular with the locals (you'll see alot of people getting orders to go).

I have been to a few not-so-casual (although it is Bend and almost everyone dresses casual even if the restaurant isn't) places in Bend if you want some rec's.

Do yourself a favor and avoid Bella Cucina in Sunriver. They tried to hide the fact that they burnt the chicken in our chicken alfredo by pouring lots of sauce on it and we were told we could not have the calamari appetizer because "there is no one here to cook it." WHAT?

#32 lifes2short

lifes2short
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:04 AM

We go to Sunriver several times a year. At the resort, in the main lodge, the Owl's Nest is good. Casual, good food, massive fireplace, live bands on some nights. In the village, hit the Hot Lava Baking Company for coffee and some good breads (very good pecan roll). They have donuts too, which our kids say are good, but I am not a donut person. Also in the village is Blondie's for pizza. There are several other places, but none that I would recommend. Head into Bend.

If you go thru Sisters on your way, definitely stop at the Ski Inn for either a great burger or breakfast.

#33 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 03:23 PM

We're going to be spending a few days in Sunriver and have read about the dearth of decent restaurants there. We're bringing leftover turkey and fixings and will have a full kitchen, but we'll need to get out and have some different food while we're there.

Where should we go in either Bend or Sunriver for any meal? I don't eat pizza so please skip pizza places. Also, we will probably head east on 84 and then south on 97 to avoid the worst of the mountain passes, which are predicted to have new snow. We could use restaurant recommendations for that route as well. Thanks!

#34 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

I recommend the Good River (used to be Wild Ginger and Wildflower Cafe before that) in Mosier. It's just 5 miles East of Hood River if you have an urge to eat when you're in that area. They have excellent food.

Best regards,

Amanda

#35 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:01 PM

I read either here or on chowhound about a place in Bend that was supposed to be great for breakfast: Alpenglow. The place has a nice vibe but I was disappointed in the food and the service.

It was after my normal breakfast time, and I hadn't had much dinner, so I was very hungry and having some low blood sugar issues. I ordered some orange juice, a bacon and cheese omelet with a short stack of pancakes and some hot tea.

My complaints: the juice was so thick with pulp and seeds that it seemed like they dumped extra pulp in it - you could eat it with a spoon.

From where I was sitting, I could see Mr P and J's and my plates sitting on the passthrough for ten minutes while the six employees walked past them and filled jam pots and such. When the plates were delivered, the food was lukewarm at best.

Before they arrived, I asked an employee if I could please have a cinnamon roll (I could see them on the counter) because I was diabetic and needed some food. She *made a face at me* like a petulant teenager and shrugged. I've never had this happen to me in a restaurant before. She was not a teenager.

My bacon and cheese omelet had turned into a ham and cheese omelet. The eggs were hard and rubbery and there wasn't much filling in it. The pancakes were double-thick and were dry and crumbly in the middle.

Mr P and J ate most of the cinnamon roll and he said that despite being big, far too much of it was just dough. He had a breakfast burrito that had all the filling in one side and it was cold. His potatoes were cold too.

When the waitress (not the one who made a face at me) came to ask how it was, I said that I had seen our plates sitting for ten minutes before they were delivered and that the food was tepid. She seemed surprised and said that maybe they were waiting for something to be added to them, but nothing was hot when it got to us. She made no offer to do anything about it.

I asked Mr P and J not to tip his usual (at least 20%) and he told me later he decreased the tip to somewhere between 15 and 20%).

So it may be that some of the food is good at the Alpenglow, but I was disappointed in most of my meal. The potatoes were crunchy and flavorful, so I guess I liked that about them.

I hope tonight's dinner at the Trout House in Sunriver is better!

Oh - we found the best-spent $5 of our trip today - a hot soaking bath at the McMenamin's in Bend. Go! Go! It's fabulous and it's open to the public. Bring a towel.

http://www.mcmenamin...p?loc=98&id=795

#36 Tiffin

Tiffin
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:15 AM

The Jackalope has been around for several years and I've heard good things about it.

Jackalope Grill
1245 S Hwy 97
Bend, OR 97702
(541) 318-8435

#37 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:40 AM

I recommend the Good River (used to be Wild Ginger and Wildflower Cafe before that) in Mosier. It's just 5 miles East of Hood River if you have an urge to eat when you're in that area. They have excellent food.

Best regards,

Amanda

Amanda,

I had noted your recommendation for this place, but Mr P and J didn't want to stop so close to Portland for lunch. The weather was horrid in that part of I=84 (rain and snow mixed, lots of slush) and he wanted to push on toward Sunriver. Once we turned onto 197 in Dufur, the snow stopped and eventually the sun came out. We had lunch in the Rainbow Tavern in Maupin. Decent cheeseburger, awesome french fries. We didn't get to the house until after dark and we had turkey sandwiches instead of going out again.

Maybe we can stop in Mosier on the way home if we go back that way.

#38 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:04 AM

Well, wherever you two end up eating I hope it is great from here on out! Please keep us posted.

Best regards,

Amanda

#39 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:07 PM

Well, wherever you two end up eating I hope it is great from here on out! Please keep us posted.

Best regards,

Amanda

The Trout House at the Sunriver Marina was a great improvement on the day's earlier eats. I had an appetizer of fried razor clams, which I love. These were some of the best I've ever eaten - tender, not greasy. Mr P and J had the calamari appetizer which was also very good. I had a very good salad with a blue cheese vinaigrette and he had the beef vegetable soup (the beef tasted smoked).

My entree was paella, with several kinds of fin fish (including salmon), mussels, clams and shrimp. It was sumptuous, but I thought a titch less saffron wouldn't have harmed it. He had the swordfish with plain rice and green beans. I didn't try any but he liked it, although the portion was a little small. I shared much of my paella with him so he was pleasantly full by the end of dinner. Service was very good - two women taking care of a large dining room.

We rushed off to the observatory, just a little down the road, to see what we could see. The night was breathtakingly cold, about 10 degrees, and the air was crisp and dry. Only a few clouds were passing in the sky as we went in. The roof was closed as the attendant waited for more people to arrive - if they leave the roof open too long the telescope lenses freeze up. I was the first to look in a telescope and oh wow

oh wow :rolleyes:

I saw the moon, in the first quarter, split down the middle, dark on the left, light on the right. I saw craters, with my eyes, at the moon right then! No photos, just my eye and the telescope and the moon. I saw a mountain range, the Appenines, like a crescent, below several craters.

http://tinyurl.com/v73qy

I also saw the Orion Nebula which looked something like this:

http://chandra.harva...orion/orion.jpg

but it was the moon that caught my eye. Then I had to hustle off back to the van, taking in how brightly the moon reflected off the snow. It was a short visit, but very exciting for me. We happened to be here on one of the two nights this month the observatory is open, and the night was clear - two great coincidences.

Today for lunch, after the High Desert Museum, we went to La Rosa in Bend (541) 318-7210
1444 NW College Way # 104

I had some delicious tequila steak tacos and Mr P and J had the halibut tacos. I don't like Bend water so I ordered an horchata, or is that a horchata? We shared a flan for dessert (OK) and were given some green grapes and sliced pineapple that had been marinating in tequila. Whoo! What a kick!

The weather looks good for tomorrow's return to Portland, so we will likely go through Sisters instead of north and west along the Gorge, so the Mosier restaurant will have to wait until another trip.

#40 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:43 PM

Kokanee Cafe in Camp Sherman is outstanding.