Bend, Sisters, Redmond, Sunriver

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:08 PM

Hey guys --
I'm taking my sweetie to Bend for his birthday, and I'd love to hear what's good (and what isn't) in Bend and Redmond. I know that Bend Brewery, Cascade Lakes and Deschutes have brewpubs there. Are there taverns with lots of good taps, or good food, or good coffee? Giant things? Things we should do?

Suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks, vj

#2 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:30 AM

I ate at a Thai restaurant right in the heart of Bend a few years back and it was very good (I can't remember the name. It may have started with a P) . I've also eaten at McGrath's which served up decent seafood. Bronco Billy's in Sisters (which is not in Bend, but not too far, either) has great Caesar salad and Prime Rib.

Best regards,

Amanda

#3 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Dining, food safaris, hiking, fishing, bird hunting, gardening, sustainable agriculture, wild mushrooms, wine, single malt, cigars

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:35 AM

Are you serious??? :wink: Bend is like a Mecca for good/great food these days.

For upscale try Merenda. Check the nightly rotisserie special, the wine flights are a great bargain, the wine list is extensive and the bar is enormous...reserve the chef's table for a fun dining experience.

Other nice, finer dining establishments that I have no hesitation recommending include Cork, Marz & Bluefish.

Pine Tavern is well executed, good old American food served in huge portions.

Mercury Diner is also a nice American food joint, but with a more modern menu, slicker dining room and killer BBQ.

Vino Mercado does some nice wine flights and a nice cheese plate that makes for an enjoyable light lunch.

For breakfast hit the Victorian Cafe. Excellent Bloody Mary's makes the wait for a table more enjoyable.

Big O Bagels makes very good bagels and phenomenal bagel dogs.

Regardless of what you may read or be told, avoid Barcelona Tapas Bar, the service was terrible and the food was worse.

Shopping is good downtown. John Paul Designs is a very cool artisan jewelery shop and John Paul is a really nice guy who loves to show his work. If the weather allows, I highly recommend driving the Cascade Loop Scenic Highway. Brokentop is a great hike and not terribly strenuous. Driving south to Newberry Natl. Volcanic Monument is fun. If they haven't received too much rain recently, a drive out to Glass Butte to hunt for obsidian is a good time. The High Desert Museum is nice. Hanging out at the Bend Distillery, McMenammen's or the Deschutes Brewery is fun.
A complete lack of caution is perhaps one of the true signs of a real gourmet: he has no need for it, being filled as he is with a God-given and intelligently self-cultivated sense of gastronomical freedom.

M.F.K. Fisher

#4 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:19 PM

Thank you! This makes me feel better. I thought we'd be okay-lly accomodated beer-wise, but I thought food would be a crap shoot. Such a nice big list! Thank you again!

#5 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:20 PM

Thanks, Amanda!!

#6 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:12 PM

I don't know about food in Bend, but Bend Brewing seems to make good beer! They have a pub somewhere in the town proper.

#7 Missingm

Missingm
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:43 PM

Last time I was in Bend, my wife and I had a great meal at Merenda in downtown Bend. Best terrine I've had in ages.

#8 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:32 AM

I took my sweetheart to Merenda for his birthday. Sadly, it just wasn't that great for the money. We got the recommended roast meats, etc. Very disappointing as it had come highly recommended.

It's hard to miss beerwise, though, with Deschutes, Bend Brewing and Cascade Lakes are all represented in town. The back porch at BBC is wonderful.

There's a new Bend guide that just started: http://www.hackbend.com/ -- there haven't been any food reviews yet, but it could be some interesting reading for folks who are visiting. vj

#9 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:21 AM

Blacksmith!!

Blacksmith Restaurant

Mmmmm...sourdough chicken fried steak with rosemary mashers....

Toomeys is the only thai food I can recall in Bend. It's not gonna make one forget Pok Pok or Chaba Thai anytime soon.

#10 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:27 AM

My husband has voiced an interest in going to visit Sisters Oregon.
I have vague directions, if we can find a pup sitter we are going next week.

Since we are mostly clueless about everything in Oregon, I would love it if anyone were to tell me that this is a good idea as a destination for a day trip or not.

But ... does anyone have a restaurant recommendation ?
I don't want to be the clueless tourist who goes into the Worst place in town..

Thank you..should I wear cowboy boots? :)

#11 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:51 AM

One place I think I might steer you away from is Bronco Billy's. The first time we went there the food was really good. That was over a year ago.

The last time we went, in March, service was slow, food was overdone, yet seemed old and cold. I was very disappointed. Not only that, but another friend I had recommended it to went recently and had a horrible experience where they were ignored and practically left for dead once they were finally acknowledged to get their order in. The food took forever, was extremely mediocre, and the waitress was too busy talking to others to deal with my friend and her family, apparently. I obviously had not told her about our most recent experience there so she was going off my original recommendation. I usually steer people right, but this time I sent a friend to a meal from hell, so I feel bad about it.

I heard the Diamond D or some such thing is a blast and they should be open for the summer season now. It's a family that serves a BBQ and does a big musical review, but I think that is in Tumalo, which is 16 miles East of Sisters, or something like that. I've heard good things about that. It's more of an event than just a meal, but you might want to check it out.

Best regards,

Amanda

#12 hidenseek

hidenseek
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:19 AM

Funny thing... we've been visiting Sisters for years, but the only meals I can remember ever having there are fast food and pizza. Probably not your thing, but Papandreas, at the east end of town isn't too bad for pizza. Honestly don't know what else is there.

But if your return trip is via 126/22, you might try and catch dinner at Kokanee Cafe in Camp Sherman. It might just be the setting, but we've had a couple dinners there that we thought were as good as many we've had here in Portland. You'd need a reservation; it's popular not only for the food, but because it's about the only place around. Even if you don't have dinner, a visit to Camp Sherman and the General Store are worth the five mile detour from the highway. Turn-off is about 12 miles west of Sisters.

Another option would be the little restaurant at Suttle Lake. Good food and nice lake views. Or, the restaurant in the Lodge at Black Butte Ranch. Again, pretty basic fare, but consistently well done. I'd suggest reservations at either of these places, too.

Sisters is about a 3 hour drive from our SW suburban home. Kinda long for a day trip, especially if making stops along the way. And you will want to make at least a couple. Oh, and no need to wear the cowboy boots. Over the last 10 years or so, Sisters has grown to look not too dissimilar from Frontier Land at Disney. Sisters is obviously more "authentic" but visitors to both places look pretty much the same.

#13 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:07 AM

Thank you so much! Great info..I will skip Bronco Billy's! and now I see that a pup sitter is gonna be a must. I want time to enjoy the whole place plus the small detours along the way. OK, no cowboy boots lol..good thing since I don't have any :) Camp Sherman sounds good too...sigh, every time I want to visit a new place, there are so many others to include..a full-time job learning my new state ! :)

#14 Kaci

Kaci
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:29 PM

You say you're mostly clueless about all things Oregon? Then I'm guessing you aren't aware that the Sister's Quilt Show starts next week. The town will pretty much be taken over by women (and maybe some men, don't want to be sexist ;)) who have come from all over (most of the women in my family are going to be there) to take classes and go to the outdoor show. Don't know if that would change your time there, but I thought I would give you a heads up.

Unfortunately I can't remember a darn thing about the food there! My first post and it's not even food related...sheesh!

Kaci

#15 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:13 PM

Thank you Kaci..

" we are mostly clueless about everything in Oregon" is sort of misleading, we have not lived here a full year yet, I know a little bit about a few things lol but there is soooo much in Oregon! I am learning my way around ;)
Sisters sounded just great for something really different..

In a way it would have been great to be there for the quilting ladies..I was at a few of those sorts of things in the mountains of NC years ago, some of those quilts are works of art!!

#16 alma

alma
  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:45 AM

My mom is a quilter and lives in Missouri. THat sisters show is a BIG DEAL in that circle. From what I understand you won't be able to find a hotel room for miles around. It would be really fun to see the quilts, though.
I know nothing about places to eat...

#17 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:52 AM

There was a funny little segment on David Letterman last night about the rodeo in Sisters that brought this thread to mind. My mom is from Missouri also, but does not quilt. :D

#18 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:45 PM

a Rodeo in Sisters too?

#19 Tea Cup

Tea Cup
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

We're going to Sunriver and around the Bend, OR area next week. Anything we just shouldn't miss there?

Thanks,

TC

#20 hidenseek

hidenseek
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:12 AM

Okay... BIG disclaimer here. ;) I haven't been to any of these places, but wouldn't hesitate trying them:

1. Cork - recommended by Bend locals who post on TripAdvisor as the best restaurant in town;
2. Bluefish - they've had some of the tastiest bites at The Bite both this year and last;
3. Pine Tavern - according to my brother, who lives there, it's been a favorite of locals for years.

Good luck! And have fun.