• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:48 AM

Can you believe we don't have a thread devoted to Pix of all places? Just a few event ones:

This year's Bastille Day

2005's ice cream social

Discussion of new locations

Here's the notice for the 4th annual ice cream social, btw.

Here are pics from all three of the previous ice cream socials

Here's a report on a previous Pix Ice Cream Social

And another previous Ice Cream Social

Whew!
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

Might as well add some other content to this thread. Here's what I last wrote for the tipsheet:

Funky, fanciful French pastries. Chocolate rules along with fruity mousses. Do not overlook the interesting and well-made ice creams, such as the chocolate-habenero. The Amelie is one of their signature desserts. Occasional "dim sums" are a good way to introduce yourself to Pix.

I'd say I most often get the Amelie, a chocolate mousse cake with orange-vanilla creme brulee set into the top of it, or the Royale with Cheese, a bombe-shaped chocolate mousse with hazelnut praline with a side of blue cheese. I like that the Royale with Cheese isn't just gimmicky. The cheese works really well to balance the otherwise sweet chocolatey dessert. Other than those, I generally get the chocolates (best value in town), the pear rosemary tart, or the opera. Macaroons if they're fresh.

The biggest problem I have is that since they've grown it seems like freshness can be hit or miss. Sometimes a dessert item will be a bit dried out. And carefulness has never been their strong point. It's always been creativity and flourish. And they aren't cheap, so you'd hope for a little more care so that you don't give someone a box of chocolates and a third of them are misaligned where the top of a molded piece doesn't quite fit on.

And Cheryl isn't around near enough. Where are all us chubby guys with sweet tooths supposed to direct our sugary crushes?

But it's the best we've got, I think, and it's worth being proud of.

http://www.pixpatisserie.com

Pix Patisserie
3402 SE Division St.
Portland, OR 97202
503-232-4407

Pix Patisserie
3901 N Williams Ave
Portland, OR 97227
503-282-6539

Pix Patisserie Hawthrone
3731 SE Hawthorne Blvd
Portland, OR 97214
503-236-4760
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#3 sleepyd

sleepyd
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:53 PM

Sadly to say I haven't ventured too far beyond a couple staples I just can't do without, but the Amelie sounds delish. The macaroon with carmelized Fleur De Sel is my favorite. Simple compared to some of the other extravagant offerings but so freakin' good. A wonderful balance of flavors.

#4 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

I like the Shazam when I want something chocolatey and sweet and the Apple Almond Nougatine when I want something lighter and fruity. And I really love the seasonal Ichabod Creme in the fall, wish they made it year round.

I used to get the pixie bars, but they are pretty small and have gone up to $3 - not quite worth it for me.

Their prices have really gone up in the last couple of years, but overall, I still think that it is the best dessert place in town and worth the money. My only real complaint is that I'd like to see more new stuff...I'm kinda getting bored with the same selection of stuff.

I am kinda bummed that I am working on Sat. and can't get to the ice cream social. I'd really love to go to that.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

And I really love the seasonal Ichabod Creme in the fall, wish they made it year round.

Me, too.

I am kinda bummed that I am working on Sat. and can't get to the ice cream social. I'd really love to go to that.

I could perhaps bring you something.....

#6 tejon

tejon
  • 684 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

I love the Royal sans evil blue cheese and the macarons. I got the email about the ice cream social and just sighed - I have a strapless bridesmaid dress to get into next week, so ice cream is sadly out for the moment. Take pictures so I can live vicariously a little!
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#7 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:08 PM

My husband and I first went over to Pix on N Williams (on our side of town) on a night when I wasn't in the mood for anything heavy or chocolatey (which is rare). I ended up having a glass of Moscato di Asti with a scoop of strawberry sorbet. That is already my favorite dessert wine, and garnished with sorbet - wow. It was sublime. What a fantastic pairing. The macaroon with caramelized Fleur De Sel, like someone else also mentioned, is also great.

#8 hatchetface

hatchetface
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:25 PM

pretty sure the "royale with cheese" comes with Brillat-Savarin (fancy talk for triple-cream brie), not bleu.

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:34 PM

Yeah, that's right. I don't know why I wrote blue. I was even looking at a picture of it while I wrote that. I think the truffle with cheese was blue. The former works much better than the latter.

#10 Tiffin

Tiffin
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

Pix for sale?!

#11 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

Pix for sale?!

See here:

http://portlandfood....?showtopic=7824

#12 deensiebat

deensiebat
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:20 AM

a friend and i cooled off with some of pix's ice cream yesterday -- a mocha and a basil. they were delicious, and light rather than uber-creamy (tasted like a milk rather than custard base, but maybe i'm wrong). but you know that thing wherein ice cream ends up with tiny bits of butter in it? that happened.

#13 Drink Spirits

Drink Spirits
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

I think Pix is going to be taking the top spot on my lists of places with some of the worst service in Portland. We stopped by the NE Williams location on Friday eve and literally stood at the door for 15 mins. Not a single server, bartender, etc ever came up to either put us on a list or seat us.

I went to the bar to see if I could catch the waiter's attention about getting a seat (several tables were open) but he ignored me and walked away.

Wish there were more good dessert places open later in Portland.

#14 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

I think Pix is going to be taking the top spot on my lists of places with some of the worst service in Portland. We stopped by the NE Williams location on Friday eve and literally stood at the door for 15 mins. Not a single server, bartender, etc ever came up to either put us on a list or seat us.

I went to the bar to see if I could catch the waiter's attention about getting a seat (several tables were open) but he ignored me and walked away.

Wish there were more good dessert places open later in Portland.

Huh... I've been to that Pix location quite a lot, and they never have anyone seating people or taking names at the door because it's an "order food to-go at the counter or seat yourself and have your order taken" kind of place. Usually I just walk up to the counter, and once a server isn't in the middle of something, I'm asked if I want something to go, or if I want to sit down. If it's to-go, then they take your order, and if you're sitting, they tell you to peruse the dessert case for as long as you like, and then go sit down and someone will come take your order. Granted, 15 min is a long time to stand at the door, but I'm not surprised that they didn't come over to seat you b/c they never do that anyway.

#15 Drink Spirits

Drink Spirits
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

Huh... I've been to that Pix location quite a lot, and they never have anyone seating people or taking names at the door because it's an "order food to-go at the counter or seat yourself and have your order taken" kind of place. Usually I just walk up to the counter, and once a server isn't in the middle of something, I'm asked if I want something to go, or if I want to sit down. If it's to-go, then they take your order, and if you're sitting, they tell you to peruse the dessert case for as long as you like, and then go sit down and someone will come take your order. Granted, 15 min is a long time to stand at the door, but I'm not surprised that they didn't come over to seat you b/c they never do that anyway.

They had a "Please Wait to Be Seated Sign" at the door.

#16 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

I wish they didn't do table service at all. It is a problem at times. Definitely more of a hipster coffee shop vibe from the staff most of the time. I've definitely had more trouble at the Williams location than the Division one. The problem with Division is really just the crowding up at the front.

#17 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

They had a "Please Wait to Be Seated Sign" at the door.

oh. :) I wonder why have a sign at all if the staff aren't going to operate according to it?

IIRC, Papa Haydn is open pretty late?

#18 gustoeater

gustoeater
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:49 AM

Is Cheryl Wakerhauser still the owner? I thought she was trying to sell a couple of years back, but never heard if that happened or not...

#19 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Both locations closing in order to move into a new spot next to heart coffee roasters:

http://pdx.eater.com...ide-space-1.php
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#20 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

as the entire Pix operation moves to a 3,000-square-foot building on E. Burnside, sandwiched between Heart Coffee Roasters and the Screen Door

Huh?

Heart is sandwiched between Meat (pet food store) and June (the restaurant), all three of those storefronts are on E Burnside, with Meat having the corner spot on Se 22nd. Screen Door is at the corner of SE 24th and E. Burnside...
Never give up! Never surrender!