#21 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:09 AM

Naomi Pomeroy on OPB:

http://publicbroadca...amp;sectionID=1

Naomi Pomeroy: "I would say to any woman going into business with her husband that her husband should have a lawyer and she should have a lawyer and they should just draft up some documents about who's going to have what responsibilities and, if things don't work out, how are they going to divide that stuff out."

It's been a hard lesson, but it's one she's learned well. And she's ready to move on with her life, and make a name for herself as Pomeroy rather than Hebberoy.

Naomi Pomeroy: "I'd like to really be known for what I bring to seasonality and local farms and the product that I use and who I am for sustainability and things like that, and not so much of the 'who's she dating' or whatever."

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#22 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

Naomi Pomeroy: "I would say to any woman going into business with her husband that her husband should have a lawyer and she should have a lawyer and they should just draft up some documents about who's going to have what responsibilities and, if things don't work out, how are they going to divide that stuff out."

I'm shocked things didn't work out. Future husband/wife endeavors should bloom to fruition with this fail-safe in place.

The other option is to not marry and start a business with egomaniac self-fellatio enthusiasts who are intoxicated by the perfumed quaff that is their own flatulence.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#23 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:57 AM

Mmmm...Self fellatio! Mmmm...Flatulence! (Though I hope not simultaneously!) :P
signature

#24 EatinMachine

EatinMachine
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:14 AM

I feel like such a gossip, but I overheard the owner of Yakuza, who is/will be the owner of Beast, refer to Naomi as his girlfriend. So, perhaps that is how and why Beast is getting funded. Of course, she is talented and can cook me dinner any day...Not knocking her skills, just answering the question of how she is getting funded.

I heard a story on OPB yesterday about her and she announced that her boyfriend is indeed the owner of Beast. She gave some advice: if your business partner is also your romance partner, make sure you both have attorneys.

#25 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:24 AM

I feel like such a gossip, but I overheard the owner of Yakuza, who is/will be the owner of Beast, refer to Naomi as his girlfriend. So, perhaps that is how and why Beast is getting funded. Of course, she is talented and can cook me dinner any day...Not knocking her skills, just answering the question of how she is getting funded.

I heard a story on OPB yesterday about her and she announced that her boyfriend is indeed the owner of Beast. She gave some advice: if your business partner is also your romance partner, make sure you both have attorneys.

Sounds like the new guy might be her employer, not her business partner. Way better! :P
signature

#26 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:20 PM

am i the only one that feels the need to shower after reading anything about Naomi Pomeroy/hebberoy?
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#27 riverinn

riverinn
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

Um, my husband and I are mature adults who can figure out who should do what and we both talk about things, like for instance " is our business making money or are we in the hole for 30,000??" Neither of us have lawyers seperate from each other. We have a lawyer for other things, but not against eachother. I think if you marry an ego maniac and you happen to be a push over "artist"-type, then oops on you.

Oh, and yes a shower definately feels necessary, along with a good exfoliation just in case.

#28 mczlaw

mczlaw
  • Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:02 PM

Beast opens next Wednesday (9/26) (not in October as reported in WW).

Naomi and her sous chef did the Chef's Demo at Portland Farmers Mkt. today and talked about it.

I suspect this will be interesting and, I hope, great. Prix fixe--sorry no substitutions and vegetarian and vegans probably will want to pass on this. Meat will play prominently on the menus. Two big communal tables; no separation between kitchen and dining room.

Another place on my near term "to try" list.

--mcz

#29 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:46 PM

Beast opens next Wednesday (9/26) (not in October as reported in WW).

Naomi and her sous chef did the Chef's Demo at Portland Farmers Mkt. today and talked about it.

I suspect this will be interesting and, I hope, great. Prix fixe--sorry no substitutions and vegetarian and vegans probably will want to pass on this. Meat will play prominently on the menus. Two big communal tables; no separation between kitchen and dining room.

Another place on my near term "to try" list.

--mcz

Let us know, because so far this place sound like it will be overhyped and mediocre...

#30 mczlaw

mczlaw
  • Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:37 PM

Let us know, because so far this place sound like it will be overhyped and mediocre...

hmmm. . .doesn't really square with the fact that the last post here was in July.

on what do you base your assertions, mr or ms lye-soaked cod lover?

--mcz

#31 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:01 PM

hmmm. . .doesn't really square with the fact that the last post here was in July.

on what do you base your assertions, mr or ms lye-soaked cod lover?

--mcz

I DON'T like Lutefisk; I just happen to work at Ikea. My assumptions are based pretty much on the reputation of some of the people involved. I may be totally wrong, and it might wind up being the best place in Portland...

#32 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:41 AM

I do not care.

And the whole communal table thing keeps me from going to some of the best restaurants in Portland. My loss, I guess. Communal is fine when I'm with a big group of people that I love and adore, otherwise, I'm not that into it. In fact, it's a turn-off. It definitely influences where I do and do not eat.

Best regards,

Amanda

#33 mczlaw

mczlaw
  • Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:27 AM

I do not care.

And the whole communal table thing keeps me from going to some of the best restaurants in Portland. My loss, I guess. Communal is fine when I'm with a big group of people that I love and adore, otherwise, I'm not that into it. In fact, it's a turn-off. It definitely influences where I do and do not eat.

Best regards,

Amanda

I don't really like communal dining either. . .but it won't keep from dining at any of the best restaurants in Portland.

Sort of begs the question, though, about Beast. At this point, I'm merely curious.

--mcz

#34 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:55 AM

I dislike communal but if I know the food is great (thinking Simpatica here), I will do it. And most of the time, it's been o.k. at Simpatica. But there was one massive exception. I don't like sitting with young women dipped in cheap cologne who are drunk, clueless, and loud. The nose is part of the palate and people drenched in perfume ruin it. And the rest well I've had great conversations with lots of strangers but generally not loud and drunk ones.

#35 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:01 PM

All communal seating isn't created equal, either. Clyde Common's giant tables make it a bit easier. Le Pigeon can be a really tight squeeze at times, though. Simpatica is somewhere in the middle.

I think there's a bit of guilt by association going on here. Just because Naomi is involved in Beast doesn't mean it has or is going to be hyped like Ripe. For all we know, Michael Hebb was the guiding force in that. He's shown to continue his ways elsewhere. And Naomi's current SO who owns Yakuza and the building Beast is in, hasn't seemed to overhype Yakuza. I rarely hear anything about it, myself. Not that I'm against hype. You just have to put your food where your money is.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#36 Joisey

Joisey
  • Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:48 PM

--Prix fixe--sorry no substitutions and vegetarian and vegans probably will want to pass on this. Meat will play prominently on the menus.--

She's got my business for this alone if it's true.

#37 Denise

Denise
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:19 PM

I do not care.

Best regards,

Amanda

Totally agree.

#38 riverinn

riverinn
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:11 PM

I do not care.

Best regards,

Amanda

Totally agree.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person in Oregon who dislikes communal seating. It totally ruined our experience at Le Pigeon and we fortunately got to sit on the Mezzanine when we recently went to Clyde Common. I would have hated to have loved the food at CC (which we totally did) and have been put off by the noise and communal seating.

I understand communal seating from a money and figures standpoint, but . . . Aren't you setting yourself up for issues down the road. Most people I know generally go out to dinner for special occasions or to celebrate or just to escape the kids and the runaround of life, but to be forced to then sit with other people who you may completely dislike or make it uncomfortable for you to have a conversation, then doesn't it seem that those places will soon fizzle out when people don't want to go there for a dinner for two? (yes I know I'm the queen of the run-on sentence). I will go back to Le Pigeon when I have a party of 6 and to CC for happy hour (which was great) or if i can sit in the Mez.

#39 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:51 PM

lye-soaked cod lover?

:w00t:

Could be a good name for a punk band!

#40 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

I understand communal seating from a money and figures standpoint, but . . . Aren't you setting yourself up for issues down the road. Most people I know generally go out to dinner for special occasions or to celebrate or just to escape the kids and the runaround of life, but to be forced to then sit with other people who you may completely dislike or make it uncomfortable for you to have a conversation, then doesn't it seem that those places will soon fizzle out when people don't want to go there for a dinner for two? (yes I know I'm the queen of the run-on sentence). I will go back to Le Pigeon when I have a party of 6 and to CC for happy hour (which was great) or if i can sit in the Mez.

Maybe. Most of the places doing it are mid-priced, not higher-end. That helps the expectations.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's