Beast

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 Denise

Denise
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:09 PM

This is part of an e-mail from Erath....

You are cordially invited to join us for an alfresco Winemaker dinner at Erath Winery overlooking the vineyards of the Dundee Hills. The evening will begin with a relaxing wine social and passed hors d'oeuvres followed by a seated dinner at 7:00 p.m. We are pleased to announce that the multi-course dinner will be prepared by Portland star Chef Naomi Pomeroy of the soon-to-open Beast (and former Chef at Ripe, Gotham Building Tavern and clarklewis).

Anyone know anything about the soon-to-open Beast? Location?

#2 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

This is from an email I received:

BEAST update:

Well, we all know it always takes longer than you think to get someting off the ground. This is why in my first email out about it- everything was listed as Tentative. Progress is great, and lots of new additions are made everyday- at this point I'll bet it is the olcc that holds us up the longest...projection of the week: early September.

I forgot in my last email announcement to tell everyone where BEAST will be (no, it's not a secret) - it is at 5425 NE 30th st.- just off killingsworth to the south. It is the bright red building with the huge windows- come by, peek in- say hi. We've been busy tasting wine for the list, testing recipes, and perusing cheese catalouges (the fun parts!)

we will be doing some private soft opening events as soon as all our equipment is in. Of course, I will let you know.

#3 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:18 PM

Here's more from that same email:

Suppers In My Garden:
Hot weather is here...and so is some of my favorite produce. (And a new grill). For the last couple weeks my sous-chef Mika and I have been hosting multi-course Suppers in my back yard (for only 14 people per night!) The first go 'round they filled up in about 2 days- so let me know if you are interested.

In lieu of a Bastille day event at Beast (I thought we might want to get some equipment and lights in before we throw a party!)- I have decided to celebrate the storming of the Bastille by cooking a Frenchie weekend meal. Contrary to my normal style...I am pre-releasing the menu. Some items will end up on the future Beast menu:

Bastille Weekend Suppers

country pork Pate- local cherry jam and whole grain mustard

frisee aux lardon- red wine poached egg and buttery croutons

ratatouille- fried squash blossoms

gratin of macaroni- french cheeses and escargots

grilled Oregon albacore nicoise- local romano beans, sungold tomatoes,
and sweet corn

sylvan blackberry tarts & lemon verbena ice cream

6 courses...candles everywhere...guests sitting at a beautiful 14 foot wood table, wine and conversation- the first few suppers brought a true sense of the original idea- a sparkling summer evening, lots of laughter and great food.

$60 per person, includes coffee, service and gratuity. You bring wine. Cash only.

new open dates are:

Friday July 13th
Saturday July 14th
Sunday July 15th

to inquire about space email naomi@supperpdx.com

I will probably continue to cook these suppers as long as people are excited to come, and I'm not busy with Beast.

#4 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

Really sad:

I met Cal Erath. He was pouring someone else's wine at Zupans. Big dude, long golden locks. Imagine blonde Meatloaf.

I of course inquire why Erath Jr. is pouring someone else's wine at a washed up hipster supermarket.

Apparently his dad sold the company to the same conglomerate that owns Copenhagen chew. He said they wouldn't tolerate his hair and lifestyle in the corporate scheme, so he quit.

#5 riverinn

riverinn
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:39 PM

We've known Cal for quite some time, both before the sale of Erath and now after. He's distributing for Medici Vineyards, who have some great old pinots still sitting around. It's really sad that he was basically forced out of Erath by corporate yahoos. He's a really great guy with a genuine sense of customer service. I hope him all the best in the world.

About Beast. . . interesting name. . . how does she still get funding . . . I don't get it.

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

There might be more in the Yakuza thread.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#7 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

We are pleased to announce that the multi-course dinner will be prepared by Portland star Chef Naomi Pomeroy of the soon-to-open Beast (and former Chef at Ripe, Gotham Building Tavern and clarklewis).

Was she the Chef at Gotham and Clarklewis?
signature

#8 Joisey

Joisey
  • Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:45 PM

She was the STAR chef, evidently.

#9 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:20 AM

Wait, she has her own TV show?

#10 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:49 AM

Wait, she has her own TV show?

Posted Image

#11 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:55 AM

Apparently his dad sold the company to the same conglomerate that owns Copenhagen chew.

Actually, it was sold to Stimson Lane Vineyards and Estates which owns Chateau Ste. Michelle, Columbia Crest, Domaine Ste. Michelle, Snoqualmie, Col Solare, NorthStar, Villa Mt. Eden, Conn Creek, Stimson Estate Cellars and Red Diamond. Stimson Lane is in turn owned by U. S. Tobacco.

#12 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

Really sad:

I of course inquire why Erath Jr. is pouring someone else's wine at a washed up hipster supermarket.

Now, what exactly is a hipster supermarket? I go to zupans and new seasons an equal amount, and I'd say NS is by far more hipster-filled. Or is NS just not washed up?

And what were you doing there then?

Just wondering..

#13 classicgirl

classicgirl
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:47 AM

I feel like such a gossip, but I overheard the owner of Yakuza, who is/will be the owner of Beast, refer to Naomi as his girlfriend. So, perhaps that is how and why Beast is getting funded. Of course, she is talented and can cook me dinner any day...Not knocking her skills, just answering the question of how she is getting funded.

#14 kitchenmilitia

kitchenmilitia
  • Members
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:the real deal!

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

evidently.

#15 BaconLuv

BaconLuv
  • Members
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:bacon, comfort food, vintage cocktails, karaoke

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

Really sad:

Now, what exactly is a hipster supermarket? I go to zupans and new seasons an equal amount, and I'd say NS is by far more hipster-filled. Or is NS just not washed up?

Just wondering...

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't been into a Zupan's in a while (used to frequent the Belmont and Macadam locations) but "hipster" doesn't come to mind when I think of that store.

Now, I wonder if that recent Mercury article about "The H Word" included a definition of a hipster market? :rolleyes:
The ironclad rule on music in any kitchen I control: NO Billy Joel, NO Grateful Dead. - Tony Bourdain

#16 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

I used washed-up hipster because last time I was in I was behind someone in their late 20's trying to buy Papst while wearing a trucker hat and corduroy blazer, but yes, it is not a good descriptor for the store.

#17 Dennis Mai

Dennis Mai
  • Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:I love Portland. Especially inner SE Portland.

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

Just wondering...

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't been into a Zupan's in a while (used to frequent the Belmont and Macadam locations) but "hipster" doesn't come to mind when I think of that store.

Now, I wonder if that recent Mercury article about "The H Word" included a definition of a hipster market? :rolleyes:

It has more to do with the location and the shoppers who frequent the store. I'm sure Zupan's other locations don't have "hipster" customers. Inner SE Portland is hipster central.

#18 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:25 PM

It has more to do with the location and the shoppers who frequent the store. I'm sure Zupan's other locations don't have "hipster" customers. Inner SE Portland is hipster central.

That's where I live. I don't know whether to frolic in the thought that I might be part of the hipster crowd, or come down to earth and realize that I blow the bell curve... :rolleyes:

But you're right Dennis - I'll call *that* location of Zupans somewhat hipster b/c of the crowd that shops there.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#19 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:04 AM

I thought N Mississippi was hipster central - it's too something.

#20 riverinn

riverinn
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:35 PM

I hate to be a gossip too, but I really have to stand up for Cal Erath. People who are trying to sell wine, especially to people who may normally just buy whatever they can find that sounds familiar (ie: two buck chuck, Ravenswood, etc), things that people talk about, it's hard to work the sell into smaller grocery chains where they can actually sell large volumes of wine if they show an attempt in the beginning of the relationship. By pouring in grocery stores they can move older vintages and/or establish relationships not only with the grocer but with a new clientelle which up until that point may have only tried a bottom of the barrel Oregon Pinot like say, Erath's flaghship Pinot, which is on every grocery store shelf and "Oregon" shop in the state.

It's not that strange, my rep from Sokol Blosser was out here pouring wine at the Cannon Beach Grocery Store in June. It's just something that is done.

And I don't know how Cal's life was when he was a child, but he certainly has never seemed the spoiled child of some Oregon Wine mega monster to me. He has a small house in Newburg with roomates and has always been kind and generous to my husband and me despite the TININESS of our restaurant.