Photo

Patanegra

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 chefboy

chefboy
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, food, wine, beer, homebrew, eating, haute cuisine, knives, pots and pans, restaurants, basically culinary anything, food science, etc.

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:13 AM

Welcome to the site, chefboy.

Thanks, I like the site. I just found it this morning on a link about Anthony Bourdain. I like what's going on here, and I am excited to find some food geeks to talk with. Looking forward to some interesting posts, no doubt.

#22 enjoyseverythingpdx

enjoyseverythingpdx
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:14 AM

:( hahaha well egads, I'll take that into consideration next time I create my user name thing. For now, I still enjoy everything pdx, and qualify that with "except patanegra" :P

#23 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:32 AM

I was wondering if in fact you were in all actuality a fatass, but you beat me to it with your reply.

I'm very dubious of what I see in Citysearch, but yes, those comments had kept me away.

I too agree that your name is quite ironic, considering your first post!

There's an oldtime place in SF Chinatown that was famous for the insulting abusive waiters and people went there chiefly for that reason, the food being only average.

I've always found it ridiculous when I'm forced into a 2-top when the place is empty and it's past the peak time. Of course, were they to show me their res book that has the place filling up in the next 1.5 hrs and I'm a mere walk-in, I'd be understanding about it.
Homer, upon seeing an ear of corn at a market: "Interesting...it reminds me of a corndog, only without the dog!"

Thanks to http://kawaiinot.com/icons.php for the avatar.

#24 lutece

lutece
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:51 PM

I'm over at Gotham Bldg blog, whining about attitude problem at CL, and then I read enjoyseverything's story. As John McEnroe used to yell, "You can NOT be serious". That's the worst restaurant abuse story I've ever heard. Now THAT's over-the-top attitude. But I ask you, is it really the kind of one-on-one customer relations we always say we want? Thanks for the tip.

#25 honeybea

honeybea
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:29 AM

I had a similar experience with the irrate owner when my boyfriend and I tried to return a corked bottle of wine. We were yelled at and insulted infront of the one other seated table in the restaurant...it was absolutely atrocious.

Unfortunately, we had our first round of tapas on the table, but to the embarrasment of the kind server, we promptly asked for our check and left the food relatively untouched.

And while this is the very shortened version of the story, my point is that I don't feel the dining public should support such a business. If you ask around the restaurant circles of Portland, the owner of Patanegra has a terrible reputation for his temper and basic respect of co-workers/employees/customers. Had I known that before deciding to have dinner there, I never, ever would have gone. This guy is a shining example of someone who shouldn't be in business.

I can't comment on the food since we had a total of two bites before the yelling ensued.

#26 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:53 AM

Sounds like the dude may need some anger management training.

Best regards,

Amanda

#27 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:28 AM

Welcome to the site, honeybea.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#28 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Humankind's attempts at creating beauty in our day-to-day lives, including food and drink, decorative and fine arts, fashion, architecture and design, graciousness, generosity and humor.

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:53 AM

I asked Ricardo why he closed Tapeo at one point, and he told me because the restaurant business is all consuming, you never get any down time. Maybe he needs a holiday.

There is NO excuse for treating anyone the way EEP was treated -- and he is lucky he blew-up on two nice people. Anyway, sounds like the 'tude is catching-up with him.

Why is it so difficult to get good Spanish style food in Portland? Why, oh, why?

#29 enjoyseverythingpdx

enjoyseverythingpdx
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:23 PM

yeah... well I haven't tried their paella, but patanegra has pretty decent food, by my estimation...

again, it was just the owner who upset me... if you get him to design the menu and then have him take the aforementioned vacation, I'm sure the place would do brilliantly :P

and honeybea, unless you were the person who wrote the review on citysearch, apparently your exact same situation has happened before. crazy no? guess the guy is not handy with the criticism... too bad :ninja:

#30 Miso_Hungry

Miso_Hungry
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:49 PM

I would like to add my comments as well since I have eaten in both. Pantanegra was not paella that I or 5 of the six people in the party liked. Rice was undercooked and the portions were small. I also did not like the attitute there, nothing specific (certainly nothing like enjoyspdx suffered through) just a vibe that was given off. I did not like them when he owned the tapas restaurant on Thurman street several years earlier either, although plenty of people did.
On the other hand Fernando's Hideaway was wonderful. I got a private dining room there, a lovely patio room, for a birthday party for my wife and 25 friends. Paella for all as well as many other wonderful things and wine. The paella was the best in this town and I recommend it in a heartbeat. The staff was great, and we even had private salsa lessons upstairs after dinner to work off all the food. Yay Fernando's!

#31 dineoutdiva

dineoutdiva
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:02 AM

Enjoyseverything, we had a very similar experience to what you had at Patanegra, but at Ciao Vito. However, I think Vito left out the F word - I was so stunned at the time I can't remember what he said other than it was a tirade and I felt like I had been physically battered by it. I've never heard of anyone else having a similar experience there, but you know that after something like that, you are DONE.

Pat

#32 nomnom

nomnom
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

Has anyone been here? I did a search and could not find any info on this site. Just curious. Thanks!

#33 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

In the 5.5 years that I've lived in PDX, I have to say that my one dinner at Patanegra is rated as #1 on my 'worst' list. And I had friends in from San Francisco and wanted to impress them for their first visit to Portland. Major fail.

BTW - here's the link to comments about this restaurant on the board: {the comments are pretty old, but maybe folks will have something new to say...}

http://www.portlandf...w...t=0&start=0

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#34 nomnom

nomnom
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for finding that, Cat.

#35 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

Yeah, the problem with Pata Negra and this board is that a bunch of us old-timers went there together and got screwed so hard that few have wanted to return, I think.

I'll merge the threads.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#36 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:07 PM

Yeah, the problem with Pata Negra and this board is that a bunch of us old-timers went there together and got screwed so hard that few have wanted to return, I think.

I'll merge the threads.

Yeah, that and the reports from more than one person about the owner and how he treated them pretty much killed it for me. Usually, I would just rely on my own experience (which was enough not to go back), but I have never wanted to see if those other reports had even a shred of truth to them. No one needs that. Plenty of other places to go, eh?

But hey, nomnom, if you go please report back. Always good to hear new info...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#37 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, I've had people I really trust, too, say that the food is good and it's made me consider returning. I can't think of any other place in town, though, that I've ever wanted to return to less primarily because of non-food issues.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#38 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:16 PM

Sad to say the service Calabrese and I had at Paley's comes close to that not wanting to return because of non-food issues thing. If our food had been better, I might have gotten over it by now. Honestly, though, I still might give them another whirl, especially at the bar. Patanegra, I'm not so sure...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#39 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

Tapeo (which was the restaurant) that the Patanegra chef owned previously (in the 90s and a bit later) had extremely good food (and the place was generally packed much as Toro Bravo is today - though it seated far less). The hand cold smoked salmon artfully served as a rosette with home pickled onions, etc. (and one of the things that tended to stay on the menu regardless of seasons) was excellent as were most of the seafood dishes. The mole small plates were usually pretty good too. If I had not heard that the service issues at Patanegra were so bad, I'd want to check it out because I know the guy can cook. But service is a killer for me. I probably had more than 10 meals at Tapeo because I really loved the food, never had issues with service, and thought the wine list paired well with the food.

Paley's not only had atrocious service (and I have heard the service complaint from some others) but the food was not all that and my steak was a crappy cut, tough, not cooked as ordered and not worth the cost. I would never waste my time or dollars on Paley's again.

#40 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

Tapeo (which was the restaurant) that the Patanegra chef owned previously (in the 90s and a bit later) had extremely good food

I adored Tapeo. The food, the atmosphere, the service...it was all fabulous. I was so anxious to try Patanegra until the bad reviews came flooding in but I've never made it there. In some ways, and this is probably silly, I don't want to tarnish my great memories of Tapeo.