Photo

Tad's Chicken 'n Dumplins

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:46 AM

Anyone been here?
Neighboors were talking it up last night...
I feel a cravin' for Chicken & Dumplin's. Anyone want to go?

Tad's Chicken 'n Dumplins
1325 E Historic Columbia River
Troutdale, OR 97060

#2 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:51 AM

Jill and I were talking about this place and passedit just yesterday on the way back from kayaking -- YES!!! We actually did go out kayaking, finally! It was totally fun. Anyway, back to the subject.

While, Tad's Chicken n Dumpling's is an attractive local place on Old Highway 30 and the Sandy River, I can't say it's all that great. It has been many years since I've been there and I don't really need to go back. For what you get the prices seem too much and the food is just average. In fact, I had salmon there and it was very dry and flavorless. I had prime rib there once and it wasn't bad, but there are places closer to home I can get a better-tasting slab at a more reasonable price, even.

I've had the chicken and dumplings and you might like them. The sauce on the dumplings seemed OK, but I'm the wrong one to ask about that. As a general rule two things I don't really like are chicken and dumplings and turkey noodle soup, so you'll have to judge for yourself about that type of food. What I had the times I was there was certainly nothing to write home about. If you like great food go someplace else, if you want to just have a nice meal with friends it will probably do. It's not really cheap, though, as I recall.

That's my opinion on the place. It's just O.K.

Best regards,

Amanda

#3 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:09 PM

Okay...let me be perfectly clear about this - Tad's may be the worst restaurant I've ever eaten in. Not only that, but the chicken and dumplings are the worst thing on the menu. Cartoonist B. Kliban did a book called "Never eat anything bogger than your head." He must have been talking about the dumplings at Tads. Large, gummy and absolutely devoid of flavor. Though more than the chicken and the library paste gravy. Horrible. And packed!

#4 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:03 AM

Well, that answers my question. LOL.
I won't bother to go.
(and will take my neighbor's food choices with a grain of salt from now on.)

I just though it sounded good. It has been ages since I have had Chicken & Dumplin's and I thought - oh, that would be a nice change- but I'll wait till a worthwhile location presents itself.

Thanks!

#5 vj

vj
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:39 PM

I'm glad you piped up, Ken. I was last there probably 12 years ago, but it was, for a really long time, the worst meal I ate in Portland. (It's since been beaten by Rose & Raindrop)

I remember the chicken and dumplins as inedible: the chicken tasteless, the dumplings disgusting. My partner was vegetarian, and she was served a "vegetarian" soup made with chicken broth.

At the time I was a secretary for the state, making no money at all, and this was kinda a special occasion, unfortunately--it seemed so insanely expensive.

#6 ks95008

ks95008
  • Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 07:39 AM

Certainly in the running for worst place I've ever eaten. Forgot about it when the "worst restaurant" thread was still active. I recall there being an exterior neon light the said "Tad's Chick Dump" with the remaining letters burned out. I never knew whether that was on purpose as a joke or whether it just worked out that way.

#7 Johann-Sandra

Johann-Sandra
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:36 PM

My mom used to love the place - she and my dad would drive all the way out there from Brush Prairie just to go there.

I drove by there this summer (never knew where it was before) - quickly lost all curiosity. Didn't look like somewhere that would be good.

Never ate there, so can't comment on that.

#8 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:56 PM

You're not missing anything but the view of the Sandy River and you can go down to Dabney State Park and get that without feeling like you need your stomach pumped afterward.

Best regards,

Amanda

#9 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Humankind's attempts at creating beauty in our day-to-day lives, including food and drink, decorative and fine arts, fashion, architecture and design, graciousness, generosity and humor.

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:12 PM

People love that place, it is an institution. They LINE-UP waiting for it to open. For what? Denny's with a view of the Sandy River?? Never have understood it. It need's to go on Extra MSG's "over-rated" list, if it isn't on there already.

#10 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:19 PM

I grew up in North Carolina.
Nobody makes good chicken and dumplings but me :)

Although, driving to Portland from the East Coast, we had an opportunity to try some different regional takes on standard dishes, some were interesting. ( we traveled with a big bottle of Tums)

#11 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:24 PM

I think I read somewhere that Manzana has all you can eat chicken & dumplings on Sunday evenings. I don't know how theirs is and I wouldn't be one to judge, but maybe someone else will try it and give us the lowdown.

Best regards,

Amanda

#12 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:28 PM

Sorry PDXNewbie, but I'll let you know when they're on my menu next...you'll change your mind about yours being the best. Truly 8)

#13 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:32 PM

Ken,
Mmmmmmm chicken and dumplings. I hope you put them on the menu soon!

Kristi

#14 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:39 PM

Dumplings = Bland globs of flavorless yuck to me. I know I am totally weird and that it is just me.

I never met a dumpling that actually tasted good to me, while folks that love dumplings will rave about ones I find dull and icky. You'd think I'd love dumplings since I love starchy foods. Problem is I like good-tasting starchy foods and dumplings don't cut it with me.

BORING DOUGH ClUMPS! AGH!

Best regards,

Amanda

#15 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:41 PM

La, chefken, do tell me when and I will be there :)
Do you make them into balls that are light and airy or are they rolled, like the German dumplings? heavier and more dense?

If yours are better than mine, I guess that means I will have to quit making them and only eat at your place :P

#16 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:41 PM

Dumplings = Bland globs of flavorless yuck to me. I know I am totally weird and that it is just me.

I never met a dumpling that actually tasted good to me, while folks that love dumplings will rave about ones I find dull and icky. You'd think I'd love dumplings since I love starchy foods. Problem is I like good-tasting starchy foods and dumplings don't cut it with me.

BORING DOUGH ClUMPS! AGH!

Best regards,

Amanda

#17 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:42 PM

LOL Amanda, tell us how you really feel about dumplings ! :)
A good dumpling is hard to find.

#18 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:51 PM

Yeah, I'm so good at hiding my feelings. Not opinionated at all, eh? HA!

I probably shouldn't even chime in on this subject since I'm so unqualified on the dumpling issue. I am qualified (since I've had the misfortune to have eaten their food) to say that as a restaurant, though, Tad's truly sucks major!

Best regards,

Amanda