A good butcher for proper pork ribs?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 j_schmeckl

j_schmeckl
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 11:50 PM

Can anyone recommend a market or butcher that knows how to properly cut a rack of pork ribs, either spare ribs or baby back? I've tried Zupan's, Gartner's and New Seasons, and they all seem to trim their ribs so close to the bone as to leave no meat except between the bones.

On that note, we're headed to the Portland Farmers Market tomorrow to give LOW BBQ a try -- I have high expectations based on what I've read so far...

Thanks!

- jeff

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 05 June 2004 - 11:28 AM

I would think Gartner's would cut them however you want them cut. Did you talk to them about it? You might want to post the same message on egullet.com or chowhound.com in the PacificNW sections. More people there.

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 06 June 2004 - 10:54 PM

You might also try Phil's, btw.

#4 rodneyLOW

rodneyLOW
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:50 PM

Jeff
We had a similar problem with the local pork ribs. We started out using Carlton but they barely left a scrap of meat on each rib. We've changed to just a generic brand but they are so much better than Carlton.

I was in Sheridan today on MLK and Taylor(i think). They are selling pork ribs from some company from Iowa and they looked really nice. You might want to give that a try.

Rodney

#5 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:08 AM

There's a little market on Sandy above 102nd, I can't remember the name off hand but I've been told they have an old butcher that rents his little corner and it's my understanding he'll do what ever you want. I'll try to get the name. It might be worth checking out.