San Francisco and the Bay Area

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#61 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:33 AM

I would love to hear your suggestions. Iíll be on foot sometimes, but will have access to a car if I need it.

Ernesto's Italian restaurant is the best Italian I've had on the west coast. It's called a pizza restaurant but it's much more. A very nice sit down family run place with mama cooking in the kitchen. My daughter says it's the best pizza she's ever had. My wife and I had pasta dishes and they were fantastic. Mine red, her's white.
It's the 1 place I must go when in the city. Parkings a bitch, but it is everywhere down there. Reasonable prices. Reviews, map, and menu attached.

http://sfsurvey.com/rd.asp?r=757

http://maps.google.c...t...2C CA 94121

http://sanfrancisco....staurantId=7494

Let us know if you go!

#62 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

I love Tadich Grill - I've always had perfectly cooked seafood and it's like going back in time a hundred years

#63 kikki

kikki
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:06 PM

My husband and I will be in SF next month for our first anniversary. Would any of the already mentioned places be a good restaurant for our special night? Can someone recommend others? We are not looking to go super high end. We're looking more for romance than a place to see and be seen.

#64 Jeff

Jeff
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:26 PM

While not eats, if you're looking for the best cocktails and bar in the city right now, hands down it's Bourbon and Branch. It may seems a tad pretentious, until you try the drinks. Dress is whatever: casual to sophisticated... No worries.

http://www.bourbonandbranch.com

The short explanation:

1. You only get in with a reservation with a defined time slot.
2. Everyone gets a seat. No bar crowds, fighting for drinks, etc.
3. You get in by pressing the buzzer at the door and giving that night's password.
4. You enjoy the most original cocktails on the West Coast.

#65 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

My husband and I will be in SF next month for our first anniversary. Would any of the already mentioned places be a good restaurant for our special night? Can someone recommend others? We are not looking to go super high end. We're looking more for romance than a place to see and be seen.

Luella

www.luellasf.com

Small neighborhood restaurant, excellent food, right off the cable car line at Hyde and Green.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#66 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

So many of the restaurants in the city are WAY overpriced especially after living here 11 years! I really like First Crush. The wine selection is wonderful, food great and reasonable. Its a smallish place upstairs but cozy. I find the service great as well.
http://www.firstcrush.com/

Zuni is awesome and romantic. Theres a great little perch upstairs that looks over the kitchen. I love that table. (The service at Zuni is rather snotty though....Has been as long as I can remember)

http://www.zunicafe.com/

#67 malachi

malachi
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:coffee, food, espresso, wine, rock climbing

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:15 AM

Twitch- I hate to disagree with you, but IMO, I think Toronado IS for the highly educated beer palate. Usually, the higher palates are Belgian drinkers....

BTW, this weekend is Toronado's 20 Anniversary. At a party I recently attended here in Portland, I was talking with Don Younger and others. Even Don has a high respect for Toronado and is planing to not only attend the anniversary, but bring something special from the Northwest. He commented about Toronado's and Dave Keene's excellence in variety, diversity and educational assets to the beer community. In regard to the Horse Brass, he sells what the public will drink. I know Don could and would be more diverse in his selections too, but it's customer driven. ;-}

Thank you.

I will, actually, be attending the Anniversary party.
Can't wait!
Horse Brass Anniversary and Toronado Anniversary in one year. Priceless.

#68 malachi

malachi
  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

Delfina.
Gary Danko.

#69 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:39 AM

Lucky bastard!
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#70 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:04 PM

Twitch- I hate to disagree with you, but IMO, I think Toronado IS for the highly educated beer palate. Usually, the higher palates are Belgian drinkers....

I disagree – I think having Belgian origin has become a quick and easy consumer label, like driving a German car. It’s too easy to look like an educated consumer if you can say “I like Belgian beer” when you’ve only had Stella and the occasional glass of Delerium Tremens. Belgian is a status symbol – it’s not even a beer descriptor. What the hell does American beer taste like?

BTW, this weekend is Toronado's 20 Anniversary. At a party I recently attended here in Portland, I was talking with Don Younger and others. Even Don has a high respect for Toronado and is planing to not only attend the anniversary, but bring something special from the Northwest. He commented about Toronado's and Dave Keene's excellence in variety, diversity and educational assets to the beer community. In regard to the Horse Brass, he sells what the public will drink. I know Don could and would be more diverse in his selections too, but it's customer driven. ;-}

As far as customer drive goes, I think we have a higher ratio of beer appreciators in Portland than in SF. Much higher poser ratio in the Toronado, from my experience.

It’s a great bar, I just don’t buy the Belgian = Better argument. Like another opinion in this thread, however, I think Toronado skimps on variety.

I don't think Don is crafting HIS list, per se, but he isn't crafting a consumer list either. It's a fair balance for fair people.

#71 MojoMan

MojoMan
  • Members
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Professional Beer Snob, All types of Cuisine and Cooking

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:21 AM

I disagree Ė I think having Belgian origin has become a quick and easy consumer label, like driving a German car. Itís too easy to look like an educated consumer if you can say ďI like Belgian beerĒ when youíve only had Stella and the occasional glass of Delerium Tremens. Belgian is a status symbol Ė itís not even a beer descriptor. What the hell does American beer taste like?

As far as customer drive goes, I think we have a higher ratio of beer appreciators in Portland than in SF. Much higher poser ratio in the Toronado, from my experience.

Itís a great bar, I just donít buy the Belgian = Better argument. Like another opinion in this thread, however, I think Toronado skimps on variety.

I don't think Don is crafting HIS list, per se, but he isn't crafting a consumer list either. It's a fair balance for fair people.

Read my PM.... ;-}

#72 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:29 AM

I don't think Don (Horse Brass) is crafting HIS list, per se, but he isn't crafting a consumer list either. It's a fair balance for fair people.

I don't really see much balance at the Brass. 50 taps and more than 2/3rds seem to be an IPA. There have been many times that I am not interested in ANYTHING on tap at the Brass. I am no longer into hops the way I was 20 years ago, but it seemed that pale ales and IPAs were more true to the style back then. Anything hoppier than an Anchor Liberty is too much for me.

That being said, I have never had that problem at Toronado. Schneider Weiss, Death and Taxes and Aventinus on draft? Heaven!
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#73 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:06 PM

I like Canteen a lot. If not for dinner (which is still excellent), it's a great choice for a weekend breakfast. It's tiny, so you might wait a bit without reservations.

Canteen
817 Sutter St
San Francisco, CA 94109

map

I echo the recs for Delfina.

#74 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

Don't forget Pluto's! </joke>

#75 malachi

malachi
  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:29 PM

Lucky bastard!

Believe me... I know!!
This could top the Don Younger guided pub crawl of Portland.

#76 malachi

malachi
  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:38 PM

I disagree Ė I think having Belgian origin has become a quick and easy consumer label, like driving a German car. Itís too easy to look like an educated consumer if you can say ďI like Belgian beerĒ when youíve only had Stella and the occasional glass of Delerium Tremens. Belgian is a status symbol Ė itís not even a beer descriptor. What the hell does American beer taste like?

So... you're saying that, because a bunch of boneheads like Stella and don't understand that it is hardly representative of good beer made in Belgium, all beer from Belgium is worthless?
And that, because of this - Toronado isn't a good beer bar?

Seriously?
That's your argument?

"Emeril is a total hack and makes generic food pushing the whole 'Cajun' label. Most people just want charred fish with a layer of burnt cayenne because of this. As a result, there is no good food in Louisiana and only poseurs like food in Louisiana."

As far as customer drive goes, I think we have a higher ratio of beer appreciators in Portland than in SF.

Absolutely!
No doubt about it.

Much higher poser ratio in the Toronado, from my experience.

Really?
So the faux-brit, dart league, make my coffee dry-hopped folks don't qualify as poseurs?

To be honest, I think both bars have stunningly low poseur counts given their locales.

Itís a great bar, I just donít buy the Belgian = Better argument. Like another opinion in this thread, however, I think Toronado skimps on variety.

Belgian does not equal better.
But neither does PNW craft brewed.
And neither does IPA.

Last time I was at Toronado, I would guess that less than 1/3 of the list was from Belgium (of a range of styles) and at least that much was west coast craft brewed beer (again, of a range of styles).

Finally... if you think that a list of, say, 40 beers from Belgium could not provide variety... you haven't had enough beers from Belgium!!

#77 MojoMan

MojoMan
  • Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:59 PM

I sent my rant via PM, but it was about the same length....

We till love ya TWITCH! ;-}

#78 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:19 PM

Did this crawl come complete with the hourly hack attack?
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#79 MojoMan

MojoMan
  • Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:09 AM

Did this crawl come complete with the hourly hack attack?

Just saw some pictures from Toronado's Anniversary Party.... There's a shot of Don hanging outside Toronado's with David Keene (owner) having a smoke. I guess he'll have to get used to the outdoors when the non-smoking law goes into effect here in Portland in 2009... ;-}

http://www.brookstonbeerbulletin.com/

#80 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:41 AM

Thanks for posting those pics Mojoman. Brought back some fond memories! I spent a great deal of my nights and weekends at that place way back when.....There and the Hotel Utah..............