• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#41 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:41 PM

I suspect they were gunshy after the NY edition where people thought they were too kind. Is there a restaurant on the list where you can get a meal under $75?

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#42 hoonan

hoonan
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:47 AM

Sorry for posting all the links. Here's another article from the Chronicle talking about the errors in the guide.

http://sfgate.com/cg...MNGPULK6VQ1.DTL

It's interesting how angry some of the chefs have been over the ratings. In Europe, getting one star is a big deal!

#43 mgmgbooks

mgmgbooks
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

Here's my review of the SF Union Square area. Keep in mind that we were travelling with two four-year-olds so trips to the high end restaurants were out of the question, as were restaurants that were too far for our kids. Here's what we ended up with...

Lori's Diner for dinner - garlic fries were good. The hamburger was a little charred. Not a bad place overall. The kids enjoyed it. Fun atmosphere. We ended up eating there EVERY morning for breakfast. (You have to make some concessions when travelling with pre-schoolers). The breakfast food was pretty good. The kids loved their pancakes. We enjoyed the french toast and my husband liked his omelettes. The oatmeal was just okay. The potatoes were yummy. I appreciate a restaurant that only charges $.60 for milk for the kids. We stopped in there for a milkshake one evening after having a horrendous meal elsewhere (more on that later).

Puccini's the second night. I had an arugula salad with apples and walnuts and gorgonzola dressing. Two apples. Couple of walnuts. No zing to the dressing. I had a risotto with proscuitto and leeks (I think). It was quite good. The kids had pizza. It wasn't that great. Overall it was a satisfactory but not great place.

Tian Sing the third night. I really enjoyed their dim sum. We had a tofu/shrimp dish which was very nice but I can't remember the name, I'm afraid. The shrimp hao gao (sp?) was good as well. I had a prawn/asparagus dish while my husband had a mango chicken dish. Both dishes were good but nothing exotic as we hoped the kids would give the dishes a try. They tried chopsticks for the first time. Not bad for their first try. We enjoyed this restaurant and would go again.

Santorini the fourth night. The kids loved the pita bread and hummus. I had the adaba (sp?) plate which is marinated skewered ground beef. It was okay. My husband's gyro platter was quite tasty. The surprise of the evening was the great pizza that the kids received! I haven't had pizza that good in a long time! I'd go there again!

The last night was a disaster. We went to an Irish place, O'Doul's. It's a cafeteria style set-up. I ordered the turkey because it came with stuffing and my kids love stuffing. They hated this stuffing. (I thought it was okay). The turkey, however, was the driest thing I have ever experienced! I couldn't penetrate the skin with my fork! Ohhhh....it was not good. My husband gave me one of his white potatoes from his plate. Yucch! That's when I suggested milkshakes.

That's all. Hope this helps some Union Square travellers, particularly those with kids.

#44 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:My wife, who is my food critic companion and I, like to find the best restaurants to eat at. <br />We thrive on good food at no expense!

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:28 PM

Oh boy .... I could spend all day on this thread!!
For 16 yrs .. I ate down their at various restaurats about once a week.
So, if anyone has any questions ... Just ask and i'll give you the scoop!
From burgers to crystal !

#45 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:My wife, who is my food critic companion and I, like to find the best restaurants to eat at. <br />We thrive on good food at no expense!

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:43 PM

Thanks Hoonan, we have enjoyed meals at Boulevard, Auberge, Bistro Jeanty, Terra, Dry Creek Kitchen and the Farmhouse Inn. I'm glad to see DCK still on the list, we had the tasting dinner there that was included with our room at the Hotel Healdsburg.

We had an invite last summer from a business associate for Aqua but chose Farallon instead. Loved the ambiance there in the main pool room and the seafood was amazing! So many excellent choices for outstanding meals in this area. :D

You seem to be very well versed in the sf bay area food scene. Are you from the bay area?

#46 keith

keith
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:18 PM

Iíll be in San Francisco the last weekend in September for the first time in ten years. I want to take advantage of my time there and hit as many places as possible. I want to make sure that I get to the best bakeries as well as restaurants. So far on my list is Tartine and Patite Patisserie. Iím having a harder time deciding on dinner places. Iíve been thinking about Zuni because itís an institution, but I donít want to limit myself. I was also hoping to find some really good Chinese or other ethnic food.

I would love to hear your suggestions. Iíll be on foot sometimes, but will have access to a car if I need it.

#47 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

Rosamunde's sausage. I recommend the wild boar; they had pheasant that was good last time I was there as well. It's in the Haight adjacent to the best beer bar in the bay, Toronado. If you want, you can order your sausage and go next door for a beer. It takes them about 10 min to grill, and they'll pound on the sharing wall and shout SAUSAGE! when it's ready so you can come back to pick it up (you can bring it back to the bar to eat).

#48 malachi

malachi
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:coffee, food, espresso, wine, rock climbing

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:56 PM

I would argue that Toronado is not the best beer bar in the bay area, but rather in the united states.

Places to go:
- Delfina
- Koi Palace
- Taqueria Cancun
- Kyo Ya
- Panchita's #3
- Dining Room at the Ritz
- Pakwan

#49 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:23 PM

Eh, it's calibrated towards the uneducated more-Belgian-the-better kind of consumer. I prefer the Horse Brass as it showcases more local product. That said, Toronado does a good job showing off Moonlight - easily the best brewery (well, brewer) in California.

#50 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:51 PM

i'm with Malachi on that one......add
A-16
Incanto

I'd try my damndest to hit Delphina.

Malachi, side note....we were at 16th & Rondel until 98

#51 craig

craig
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:47 PM

If you are interested in vegetarian food at all, The Greens is superb gourmet vegetarian and a view of the Golden Gate bridge which is pretty nice at sunset.

Of course, there is that famous place just slightly north -- The French Laundry and in Berkeley, Chez Panisse.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#52 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:07 PM

Chez Panisse and Gary Danko. They're two of the best fine dining values in the town. At the latter you'll get a tasting menu for under $100, something that's hard to find these days. And with Chez Panisse you can choose the cafe or the restaurant, although it may be difficult to get reservations for the restaurant. Not sure what their policy is now. I think when I went there it was 30 days in advance and they filled quickly. There's no better place to see ingredients highlighted. And fine dining is something Portland is short on.

How badly do you want to stay in SF and not travel across the bridge?

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#53 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

I'm pleased you are going to Tartine...Expect a LONG wait on the weekends (like an hour) or go when they first open. Please for your health and longevity buy a whole banana cream pie...Make sure there is a fridge in your room. You will thank me later. In the Mission I love la Taqueria, 24th, 25th and Mission. The BEST Thai is in the lower Haight on Fillmore Thep Phenom. I go everytime I'm there and am happy to get my fix. No Pok Pok isn't better not even close! Yep agree Toronado..best for beer. I would hit up Greens..maybe but for wine First Crush is great for great selection and food you won't need to take a loan out on your house to afford. The City is REALLY expensive these days and the service is well um you will see. (Servers that used to be "the beutiful people" are now non English speaking hard working mostly Mexicans) Just to clarify I LOVE Mexicans!!!!! I don't know what I would have done without the great food they brought to the bay area I did grow up afterall in San Diego and went every weekent to TJ) I know you asked mostly about Ethnic...Mainly Chinese and I'm hoping someone else will chime in with recs for that. I don't much favor that type of cuisine....BTW there is another thread on this topic you may want to check out!

Have a great time!

#54 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:27 PM

Fillmore Thep Phenom

See, now I think of this as SF's Lemongrass or something. I prefer the places in the Tenderloin like Thai House Express or better, far flung places like Ruen Pair, Thak Nakorn, or Champa.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#55 keith

keith
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:28 PM

I would like to stay in the city and not cross the bridge so Chez Panisse is out for this trip.

#56 MojoMan

MojoMan
  • Members
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Professional Beer Snob, All types of Cuisine and Cooking

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

I like a lot of the previous suggestions, but I'd rather ask you what YOU are interested in?

Twitch- I hate to disagree with you, but IMO, I think Toronado IS for the highly educated beer palate. Usually, the higher palates are Belgian drinkers....

BTW, this weekend is Toronado's 20 Anniversary. At a party I recently attended here in Portland, I was talking with Don Younger and others. Even Don has a high respect for Toronado and is planing to not only attend the anniversary, but bring something special from the Northwest. He commented about Toronado's and Dave Keene's excellence in variety, diversity and educational assets to the beer community. In regard to the Horse Brass, he sells what the public will drink. I know Don could and would be more diverse in his selections too, but it's customer driven. ;-}

#57 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:28 AM

I know Don could and would be more diverse in his selections too, but it's customer driven. ;-}

Squeaky consumer & previous sale stats driven,.....quite sad actually

#58 chefasaurus

chefasaurus
  • Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:46 AM

Fillmore Thep Phenom

See, now I think of this as SF's Lemongrass or something. I prefer the places in the Tenderloin like Thai House Express or better, far flung places like Ruen Pair, Thak Nakorn, or Champa.

My favorite Thai place in SF is Marnee Thai on 9th Ave, near Golden Gate park. And most of the local 'zines agree. I'm pretty sure SF Weekly and the chronicle both consider it the best in the city. I believe there's a second location deep into the sunset as well.

Last time I was at the Toronado I was pretty disappointed. No exaggeration almost 90% of the beer board was IPA and double IPAs. And the rest were either either super hardly stouts of boring belgiums. Not a smooth amber, crafty pale or funky porter to be found.

For Breakfast, I'd suggest either of the Chow locations (Church and Martket or 9th and Irving). They just started doing breakfast at the beginning of the summer. It's really good and very cheap by SF standards. Brunch everyday until 2pm I believe.

If you've staying downtown, you should check out the new half of the mall. There are actually real restaurants on the fourth floor. Bradley Ogden has a Lark Creek Steak there. It's a pretty solid American steak house with contemporary classic sides. It's also a good place for lunch with nice steak and pulled pork sandwiches.

#59 footloose

footloose
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:05 AM

If you love beer, you should by no means miss the Toronado.

http://www.toronado.com/
Toronado
547 Haight San Francisco, CA 94117
Hours: 11:30am to 2:00am daily
Happy Hour: $2.50 pints (most beers) 11:30am to 6:00pm daily

My favorite restaurant in San Francisco is always Tommy's. "Tommy's is to tequila what the Toronado is to beer!" as they say. The food is so very excellent. Their menu is online at their website, it makes me drool. Nobody does Mexican here like they do at Tommy's.

http://www.tommystequila.com/
Tommy's
5929 Geary Blvd
San Francisco, CA 94121
(415) 387-4747
Hours - Noon to 11pm (closed on Tuesdays)

Have a great trip!
"Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to weren't never there, and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it." Hazel Motes, in Wise Blood, by Flannery O'Connor.

#60 footloose

footloose
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:09 AM

Last time I was at the Toronado I was pretty disappointed. No exaggeration almost 90% of the beer board was IPA and double IPAs. And the rest were either either super hardly stouts of boring belgiums. Not a smooth amber, crafty pale or funky porter to be found.

I don't know what to say about that. At any rate, they do have a beer menu posted online. It's a colorful neighborhood and I can't understand how you couldn't find just one beer you wanted at the Toronado. No food there, by the way. It's just a funky little pub, don't expect anything grandiose. They just do beer there and do it well.
"Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to weren't never there, and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it." Hazel Motes, in Wise Blood, by Flannery O'Connor.