San Francisco and the Bay Area

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#21 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:43 AM

Sounds wonderful, so glad you enjoyed Boulevard. We wanted to stay across the street at the Hotel Vitale, but a day trip worked out for us. We did tour the hotel which is lovely, very contemporary and how convenient, right by the Ferry Market Building AND Boulevard. Next visit to SF will hopefully be a weekend there. I also want to try Fifth Floor for a nice dinner. Thanks for the good read! ;)

#22 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the timely report, mcz! I'm going tomorrow, and I'm still trying to work out some of the places I want to hit. I've been mulling Boulevard versus Town Hall. Your post neatly decided it for me.

I love Ton Kiang, but based on local recommendations I'm thinking of switching it up to Yank Sing. I guess if it's not up to par, I'll be doing both.

I hit Incanto on my last trip, and I'd give it somewhere around a B as well. I loved their pastas...but I wasn't thrilled with anything else. Weirdly enough, when I ate there, service was really inefficient and spotty. Maybe they're overcompensating.

#23 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:55 AM

Town Hall also sounds very nice. Both TH and Boulevard reservations can be made on OpenTable. ;)

#24 Tea Cup

Tea Cup
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:11 PM

If you're looking for something rib-sticking and less "California-y", try Home in the Castro District. I was just there a week ago, and everything we had was undeniably fantastic. The clientele is VERY interesting to observe, and the service was very good.

If you go, the pot roast is perfect- literally melts in your mouth. For dessert, make sure to have the Bannana Bread Pudding- it's like Banannas Foster with cake. Very well executed, and plenty for two. We also had a Mediterranean plate for an appetizer- excellent hummus and feta. Nice way to start out.

Give it a try... you won't be disappointed.

TC ;)

#25 wineangel

wineangel
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

Y'all are killing me! We're trying to plan a trip that way this fall, when we can take some time off. Hitting up a few wineries to. Thank you all for your lists. Is it still 8months waiting time for French Laundry?? Does anyone know? If I hadn't already been in love with my husband and food, I was when I read Keller's Cookbook. Sigh. . .

#26 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

We have the cookbook also. I believe it is 3 months in advance for ressies for French Laundry. Lucky you! Yountville is a foodie's heaven! ;)

#27 wineangel

wineangel
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:17 PM

Last time we were there, in Napa/San Francisco area, we had two amazing dinners and a fabulous lunch.

Dinner at Terra, Hiro Sone's restaurant. Please go if you ever get the chance. Hiro had eaten at the last restaurant my husband had worked at and he kept sending extra plates. It was insanely good. He does fusion the right way, the only way.

Dinner at Lark Creek Inn, which was unfortunately spoiled a little by the fact that I had had to much to drink the previous two days. My hubby had worked for Bradley so we tried to refuse extra plates, but it didn't work. Had a sea bass dish that was unstoppable.

Lunch at Lucy's Back Street Kitchen. I'm not usually wowed by lunch anywhere, but the wild mushroom tamales and the quail dish we had was knock your socks off good.

i so can't wait to go back and do more eating and drinking.

#28 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:57 AM

You probably mean Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen in St. Helena. I haven't been there, but have been to Terra, it is VERY good. Domaine Chandon and Auberge du Soleil are also two excellent choices for lunch. We were in Sonoma last March and found the General's Daughter to be outstanding with the new owners they have now. The El Dorado Kitchen at the Hotel El Dorado was also very good for lunch in the newly remodeled dining room. ;)

#29 ks95008

ks95008
  • Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:30 AM

SG - I've been to French Laundry twice. The last time was last year. I recall that their reservation window is two months - unless it has changed recently. It sticks in my mind that Chez Panisse is one month.
Not sure about Danko. Manresa in Los Gatos is next week - usually.

The first time I went to French Laundry, it had just opened. I was staying at a hotel in Palo Alto for a few days. I found a restaurant in PA that I enjoyed. I said to the propretor that - as much as I enjoyed his restaurant - I didn't want to eat every meal there so I would appreciate a recommendation for someplace else. He answered that there was this new place called French Laundry that might be worth a try. As I recall, I called on a Wednesday for a Thursday reservation.

#30 wineangel

wineangel
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:51 AM

Thanks SG, I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of that "Backstreet Kitchen", but you're right it is Cindy's. Thank you for filling in where my brain stopped.

#31 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:56 AM

You're welcome, she also owns Mustards Grill I have her cookbook, we gave it to my husband for Father's Day a couple of years ago. Cindy Pawlcyn is who we are speaking of, a very talented chef in Napa Valley. :)

#32 dineoutdiva

dineoutdiva
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:40 AM

ks95008, by chance do you remember the name of the restauarant you enjoyed in Palo Alto that recommended the French Laundry? I've just returned from a second trip to PA in a month. I had a great dinner at Evvia Estiatorio (Mediterranean/Greek) that I thought was excellent. I had some other recommendations including Tamarine, an upscale Vietnamese restaurant, but I'm guessing that both of those restaurants are more recent additions to the Palo Alto dining scene. Unfortunately, my schedule got too crowded, and I didn't get a chance to do more food exploring.

Pat

#33 ks95008

ks95008
  • Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:58 AM

I may have some notes on that. I have kept a diary about places I've liked, but it would be in an earlier volume, as this has been a number of years. My impression just sitting at the keyboard is that it be out of business. I'll take a look.

#34 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

Was it the California Cafe? We had a very nice lunch there last June. It was held in the banquet room, a birthday celebration for an elderly friend. I heard it has gone out of business, but the restaurant was really nice, located right by the great mall there. :D

#35 ks95008

ks95008
  • Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:27 PM

syrahgirl - California Grill doesn't sound right to me. In fact, I'm starting to think that maybe we drove from Palo Alto to maybe Mountain View along El Camino Real or Los Altos. I'm recalling a Northern Italian theme.

#36 hoonan

hoonan
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:04 PM

Here's the a link to an interesting article in the San Fran Chronicle. The Michelin guide's reviews of San Francisco have come out and the French Laundry was on top.

http://www.sfgate.co...AG93LGQUP21.DTL

#37 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:18 PM

That's a pretty unsurprising list. Too bad about A16 not even getting 1 star. I had some really incredible food there my last trip, including some world-class pizza.

#38 hoonan

hoonan
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:19 PM

That's a pretty unsurprising list. Too bad about A16 not even getting 1 star. I had some really incredible food there my last trip, including some world-class pizza.

I have also enjoyed A16 myself. I'm surprised Jardiniere didn't make the list.

#39 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:07 AM

Thanks Hoonan, we have enjoyed meals at Boulevard, Auberge, Bistro Jeanty, Terra, Dry Creek Kitchen and the Farmhouse Inn. I'm glad to see DCK still on the list, we had the tasting dinner there that was included with our room at the Hotel Healdsburg.

We had an invite last summer from a business associate for Aqua but chose Farallon instead. Loved the ambiance there in the main pool room and the seafood was amazing! So many excellent choices for outstanding meals in this area. :)

#40 malachi

malachi
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:coffee, food, espresso, wine, rock climbing

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:55 PM

I'm a little shocked at Acqua, Michael Mina and Acquerello. None impressed.