Olive oil Brands

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:53 PM

Semi-stupid story...

Growing up {yes, back in the dark ages} my step-mother was way ahead of the curve and only used olive oil for general cooking. Somewhere in the kitchen I'm sure there was vegetable/peanut/whatever oil, but I didn't know where it was or even that it exsisted. One night my parents were out for the evening and I had a girlfriend over so I decided to make brownies from a box that called for eggs and oil to be added.

I was 14 and all my family used was olive oil, how was *I* to know that there was something different... The brownies came out so disgusting that its been a family joke ever since. Live and learn.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#22 The Olive Scene

The Olive Scene
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:02 AM

I always keep the Olio Novo for salads and such. I don't like too peppery a finish and the Olio Novo is flavorful, but mild. I usually buy whatever's cheapeast for cooking with. At Cash & Carry you can get huge things of half vegetable/half olive oil. Better smoke point and price than just olive, better flavor than just vegetable.

Have you tried french fries fried in olive oil? I haven't yet, but as part of our presentation in our product launch party we will have a variety of foods prepared with olive oil that you would normally use other oils with, including french fries... Any suggestions? Forget brownies, I'll take your word for it Cat...
AndalucianGirl.com

"La Di Da Di, we likes to party
We don't cause trouble, we don't bother nobody..." Richard Walters

#23 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:41 PM

Have you tried french fries fried in olive oil? I haven't yet, but as part of our presentation in our product launch party we will have a variety of foods prepared with olive oil that you would normally use other oils with, including french fries... Any suggestions? Forget brownies, I'll take your word for it Cat...

I haven't had french fries cooked in olive oil but my nonna used to make a dish with thin potato disks and thin rings (not battered) of onion and fry them in olive oil with a bit of salt and pepper. They are great with pork chops. I've been known to cook thing but spice it up with mild curry powder or other herbs.

#24 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:12 AM

I'm reviving this topic because I'm looking for a decent everyday olive oil priced like the Tuscan oil Costco had up until a year ago.  It was $12 - $13 for a 1L bottle and was perfect for salad dressings and all sorts of things. 

We go through a good amount of olive oil in this house, so I'm price conscious about it.  I used to stock up 4 - 6 bottles at a time on that Costco stuff.  Everything they've replaced it with since then has sucked. The Arbequina was passable, but the "Greek" and now "Spain" versions that followed are both terrible.

It's easy to find beautiful $35 - $40 500ml bottles to drool over.  Not so easy anymore to find decent everyday stuff.

I don't know if this is because the word is out on all the fraud, or if the fraud has ramped up exponentially over the past year.  Whichever the case, the results are the same.

I also don't know if the < $20 1L everyday bottle is now a unicorn.

What are you using for the everyday stuff, salad dressings and so on that you like a lot?

EDIT: I'm going to try to make it to Activspace tonight to see what's available in bulk.

#25 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:13 PM

Have you tried California Ranch Olive Oil? I use their everyday and their Arbequina for dipping.

#26 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

I like the Tunisian oil at Costco.

#27 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:14 PM

I've been using the Greek Olive Oil from Trader Joes. I use it for salads and not for cooking. I pretty much saute everything with grapeseed oil.

They also have one of the best return policies going. 

#28 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:25 AM

between the prius drivers, cramped parking lots and rancid produce, I just can't bring myself within 2 blocks of a Trader Joe's. Their cult following is fascinating though, as they've got many proprietary items driving evangelism.

#29 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

between the prius drivers, cramped parking lots and rancid produce, I just can't bring myself within 2 blocks of a Trader Joe's. Their cult following is fascinating though, as they've got many proprietary items driving evangelism.

LOL! I have a few select few things that I get from them. I go on Sunday mornings when they open at 0800, it's not crowded and I'm usually in and out in ten minutes unless they've just reset the store. The Prius drivers are still in bed.

#30 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:56 PM

I find the produce at my local TJs to be quite acceptable. Nice bagged greens, including cheap arugula, romaine hearts. Good stuff like trimmed fennel bulbs, heirloom grape tomatoes, purple fingerlings. Persian cukes are usually past prime, but I find that the case everywhere.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#31 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:32 PM

I find the produce at my local TJs to be quite acceptable. Nice bagged greens, including cheap arugula, romaine hearts. Good stuff like trimmed fennel bulbs, heirloom grape tomatoes, purple fingerlings. Persian cukes are usually past prime, but I find that the case everywhere.

I'm not a fan of most of the produce, or cheese.  It usually seems ready to spoil.

But I like their pork breakfast sausage links, the washed/cut/bagged Southern greens and raw almonds The grade B maple syrup is fine,

#32 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:53 AM

Have you tried California Ranch Olive Oil? I use their everyday and their Arbequina for dipping.

This is what Cook's Illustrated likes, FWIW. 

#33 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:03 PM

California Ranch Olive Oil is on sale at New Seasons 3/2 - 3/8. $6.99 regularly $11.99. 

#34 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:11 PM

California Ranch Olive Oil is on sale at New Seasons 3/2 - 3/8. $6.99 regularly $11.99. 

I saw that!  I was going to swing by Friday and get a bottle, check out their half-off freezer sale, and stock up on fresh pork sausage which is like half price or something similar.  Great sale weekend there. 

#35 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:51 PM

For those of you who have enjoyed Tabla's tajarin pasta, when they were still in business, the truffle oil they used during my last meal there was by La Truffiere.

https://www.amazon.c...3434555-7619007

It's pictured in the oil section of the Classic Foods website (recent post about Classic Foods for someone looking for champagne vinegar) and I was told can be purchased at Provvista, I think.

Do not know who has the best price.