Olive oil Brands

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 The Olive Scene

The Olive Scene
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:48 PM

I'm doing a poll on Olive oils consumed in the Portland area and would like an opinion on the different varieties available. So please state which kind, where you got it, price and why you like it.

The reason I'm doing this is because if you generally ask someone about an Olive Oil brand there are very few that could even name one! See for yourself.

Cheers!

Brian
AndalucianGirl.com

"La Di Da Di, we likes to party
We don't cause trouble, we don't bother nobody..." Richard Walters

#2 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:music, food, italy, history, little kids who make me laugh

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:36 PM

i usually have a bottle of "consorzio agrario siena" that i get from my siennese contact and that i use for my high end purposes. for sauteeing i usually just grab whatever's the best deal at trader joe's.
foodshedpsx is dead. as is god. and elvis. and george burns. and you and me too soon enough.

#3 wildmushroomer

wildmushroomer
  • Banned
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Impure vegan

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:23 PM

I'm doing a poll on Olive oils consumed in the Portland area and would like and opinion on the different varieties available. So please state which kind, where you got it, price and why you like it.

The reason I'm doing this is because if you generally ask someone about an Olive Oil brand there are very few that could even name one! See for yourself.

Cheers!

Brian

My favorite is the bulk olive oil at Food Front. It has a nice fresh olive taste. I also use Trader Giotto's Extra V. Olive Oil and it is a fine oil, too. Both are very reasonably priced. For dipping, I would use the Food Front oil, add some salt, and maybe add a seaoning such a thyme.
Eaters must understand that eating takes place inescapably in the world,
that it is inescapably an agricultural act, and that how we eat determines,
to a considerable extent, how the world is used. ~Wendell Berry

#4 allison

allison
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:27 PM

I just realized that I don't know the name of my favorite olive oil! It's the house olive oil at Higgins... I believe it's from Greece. ??? They sell it for around $15 a bottle. I use it for salads or dipping bread, because it's very light and floral.

I use the Trader Joes brand EVOO for cooking, though. Otherwise I'd go broke.

#5 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:41 PM

Jim Dixon at Real Good Food imports a 375ml bottle of Bettini Olive Oil that is amazing. Grassy and peppery in the finish. Other than that I also really enjoy the Opera Prima from Italy.

For bulk cooking, I usually use the Unio from Spain, however the current price, due to poor harvests over the past two growing seasons, does not justify the quality, so I now use a special pressing that Provvista has secured from Argentina at the tune of $190 per 25 liters.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#6 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:33 PM

Smart Spam.

#7 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:35 AM

Indeed, MR, indeed...

Editing to add that Brian was upfront about his business on another thread, and I answered his question there:

http://portlandfood....amp;#entry51336

I like Jim Dixon's oils, and I believe the prices are fair for the quality. I trust him not to waste his time/money/space importing crap (because he has a life outside of olive oil sales), and he encourages you to taste his oils (at the Portland Farmers' Market and at his garage sales). I like his garage sales in December too - a nice cup of soup, a little chat with the man himself, and great deals on oil...what's not to like?

And I do agree with sfspanky, that Bettini is damn tasty!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#8 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:36 AM

Bettini is my favorite of Jim Dixon's oils but, for everyday use - cooking, salads, etc. - I find the Kirkland brand extra virgin in the two-liter bottles to be a terrific value. Their vintage-dated Tuscan oil isn't too shabby either, especially at around $12 for a liter.

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:59 AM

I always keep the Olio Novo for salads and such. I don't like too peppery a finish and the Olio Novo is flavorful, but mild. I usually buy whatever's cheapeast for cooking with. At Cash & Carry you can get huge things of half vegetable/half olive oil. Better smoke point and price than just olive, better flavor than just vegetable.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#10 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:24 AM

The Costco and C&C options are just waaay too much oil to have on hand at once for us. It's not such a great deal if you have to throw away half or more of it...or have to throw other things out just to make room for it! ;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#11 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:52 AM

I try to keep a bottle of Felsina's "normal" oil, and two or three of their varietal bottles around for all of my finishing. I also like Castel Potentino, Selvapiana and one from Umbria whose name I can never remember. I have a hard time keeping a good list of what I have tasted in my head, so it appears I tend to use oils from wineries I recognize for other reasons.

For cooking I usually have Sagra, though right now I think I have something from trader joes.

MR

#12 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:15 AM

The Costco and C&C options are just waaay too much oil to have on hand at once for us. It's not such a great deal if you have to throw away half or more of it...or have to throw other things out just to make room for it! ;o)

I know it looks like a lot, but even living alone I've never had a problem going through the 4 liters (2 bottles) of extra virgin, nor the 1 liter of Tuscan. Try it!

#13 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:31 PM

I know it looks like a lot, but even living alone I've never had a problem going through the 4 liters (2 bottles) of extra virgin, nor the 1 liter of Tuscan. Try it!

I agree PDXWine, I'm surprised how fast it can go, and I don't consider myself a huge olive oil utilizer. Especially with tomato season coming up, it's handy to have a boatload around for confit-ing.

I came home last fall when my mom was visiting and she was frying firm tofu slices in my Costco extra virgin to roll into goi cuon - I thought she was crazy. Surprisingly, it was good.

I usually get olive oil every Christmas that I keep around for drizzling/finishing (right now this is on my counter), and I also have a can of imported Colativa in my cupboard. I recently ran out of my Costco stash and need to re-up.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#14 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

I use Unio Xtra Virgin from Spain. I love the light buttery taste of this oil. I buy it at New Seasons but I've seen it at Zupans and Stroh's Its around 14.00 for 17 fluid ounces. Recently Cash and Carry started carrying a really good "Delightfully Turkish" X.V. olive oil by Zatis, Izoya edition. It is excellent and a bargain 2 liters for 15.00

#15 The Olive Scene

The Olive Scene
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:23 PM

I just realized that I don't know the name of my favorite olive oil! It's the house olive oil at Higgins... I believe it's from Greece. ??? They sell it for around $15 a bottle. I use it for salads or dipping bread, because it's very light and floral.

I use the Trader Joes brand EVOO for cooking, though. Otherwise I'd go broke.

Thanks everyone for the input, and as all may have noticed Olive oil has an identity problem, and that is what I was trying to see on a smaller scale. No dominant brands were mentioned, just more exclusive and or less known brands to the general public. Noting everyone's selection, I can tell that most of you are in the upper scale of the food industry or just have plain good taste and will go out of your way to get what you want.

As soon as I receive my shipment I'll let everyone know so you can try it. As a few have noted on my other post, I haven't decided on pricing it because no one has had a chance to try it yet and I would like to get others opinions before I do that.

The American palette is just getting used to using olive oil on all their meals like they do in Europe, so it will take some time before it will be integrated into peoples everyday diet. But I promise, once olive oil consumption is standard here we will notice a change in our health and quality of life, noting we make changes in other areas as well. Just visit anywhere in the Mediterranean and see how the elderly live, they remind me of high school students gathering around the town square looking for 'chicks' and getting in trouble. Tell me if that's an image you get of our elderly here...

You are what you eat.

Brian
AndalucianGirl.com

#16 The Olive Scene

The Olive Scene
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:51 PM

So would you rather just buy more frequently and get a fresher batch? As you probably know Olive Oil is not like wine and deteriorates with time, so there is no point in keeping it around for long...
AndalucianGirl.com

#17 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

So would you rather just buy more frequently and get a fresher batch? As you probably know Olive Oil is not like wine and deteriorates with time, so there is no point in keeping it around for long...

Depends on the definition of "long". 4-6 months in a cool, dark place is no problem.

#18 The Olive Scene

The Olive Scene
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:14 PM

Depends on the definition of "long". 4-6 months in a cool, dark place is no problem.

True that!
AndalucianGirl.com

#19 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the input, and as all may have noticed Olive oil has an identity problem, and that is what I was trying to see on a smaller scale. No dominant brands were mentioned, just more exclusive and or less known brands to the general public. Noting everyone's selection, I can tell that most of you are in the upper scale of the food industry or just have plain good taste and will go out of your way to get what you want.

<snip>

The American palette is just getting used to using olive oil on all their meals like they do in Europe, so it will take some time before it will be integrated into peoples everyday diet. <snip>

Brian

Um, your generalizations may be true for WASP America but for some ethnic Americans not so true. I grew up with Filippo Berio extra virgin in my nonna's kitchen, that was a given as much as the Contadina paste.

Based on my roots, I also have been known to use olive oil where most Americans use butter and for a very long time. I would fry eggs with it but my current SO thinks that's too much.

My docs can never quite understand why my cholestrol levels aren't what they expect (until recently) until I explain about olive oil. When I moved to Portland in the mid-70s, you could not find Filippo Berio here to save your butt. I am happy to see all of the good olive oil here now. I cook with the cheap stuff and use the good stuff (Jim Dixon is my favorite supplier) for garnishing.

#20 The Olive Scene

The Olive Scene
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:01 PM

<snip>

The American palette is just getting used to using olive oil on all their meals like they do in Europe, so it will take some time before it will be integrated into peoples everyday diet. <snip>

Brian

Um, your generalizations may be true for WASP America but for some ethnic Americans not so true. I grew up with Filippo Berio extra virgin in my nonna's kitchen, that was a given as much as the Contadina paste.

Based on my roots, I also have been known to use olive oil where most Americans use butter and for a very long time. I would fry eggs with it but my current SO thinks that's too much.

My docs can never quite understand why my cholestrol levels aren't what they expect (until recently) until I explain about olive oil. When I moved to Portland in the mid-70s, you could not find Filippo Berio here to save your butt. I am happy to see all of the good olive oil here now. I cook with the cheap stuff and use the good stuff (Jim Dixon is my favorite supplier) for garnishing.

And that's why only 'some' can tell their doctors about olive oil, kudos to your Nonna for passing down good taste!
AndalucianGirl.com