Toro Bravo

• Please log in to reply
534 replies to this topic

#41 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:50 PM

It was a great evening great group, lots of great fun all around. What I love about TB is the diverse menu. There is really something for everyone, and the menu changes often so you can frequent the place and always be happy (as I have been) Can't wait to go back again and again!
I'm a little sad the jamon wrapped chicken breast is missing however. It was a really great item (one I dreamed of) :w00t:

#42 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:27 PM

Okay...This place is seriously good. The four of us had the Fried Anchovies, the Chicken Liver Mousse, the Salt Cod Fritters, the Pork Rillettes, the Lamb with Eggplant, the Artichokes and the Salad with Asparagus. Perfect amount of food and everything was pretty delicious. I'd say the Artichokes were the weakest, but only by comparison.

With all that, plus 2 beers, 2 limonatas, a double espresso and 3 desserts (2 molten choc. cakes - yum - and maybe one of the 2 or 3 best panna cottas I've had), the bill was $78.00, and a steal.

I ran into John Gorham leaving as we were and I told him that while the buzz is that they have the best tapas since Tapeo, his kick Tapeo's butt, IMO. I never thought Tapeo was all that special. Toro Bravo is.
signature

#43 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:19 AM

Ken's Place is history as of 3:00 today...the check is in my pocket...We're going there tonight!

Report back!

John DePaula and friends, Tammi & her friend and myself all ate there last night. The food, the wine and the company were ALL perfect.

Cat

What great luck to run into you guys at Taro Bravo! The company :( and the food :P were just wonderful; I couldn’t ask for a better evening out.

All of the dishes we tried (and we tried many) were excellent. I thought the service was really good, too: Very accommodating and seemingly happy to have us there.

It's official - this is now my favorite place to eat in Portland! :D
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#44 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:45 PM

Since everyone has been there except for me, perhaps someone knows the answer to this question...Are they open for lunch?

Best regards,

Amanda

#45 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:49 PM

Since everyone has been there except for me, perhaps someone knows the answer to this question...Are they open for lunch?

No.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#46 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:58 PM

OK. Thanks, Nick. Dinner it is then. I'm eager to give the paella a shot.

Best regards,

Amanda

#47 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

I so wish they were open for lunch, but at least they are now open Monday night...and I cannot believe it, but we have some out of town guests who just popped in..and well we are on our way! :P I'm not the least bit tired of TB!

#48 Marya

Marya
  • Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:26 AM

I'd like to report that those artichokes made my whole year.

#49 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:38 AM

I've got to get to this place. Working a lot of OT this week, though since I have today off and so it will either have to be tonight or sometime in the future.

Best regards,

Amanda

#50 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:13 PM

Ok they are putting the jamon wrapped chicken back on the menu! Whew I was gonna cry!

#51 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:04 PM

We're gonna go tomorrow, woo I'm excited! ;)

#52 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:20 PM

It could be a party then!

#53 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

it SHOULD be a party! We're gonna be there around six, I think.

#54 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:11 PM

I wanna go! Maybe Saturday.

#55 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:34 PM

Angelhair, Amanda, tammi & myself had a most excellent meal here tonight.

This was the first time the restaurant was totally crowded, and had a wait. Get there soon if you haven't been yet. Well worth it.

And get an order of the shrimp. Or five. Just make sure you eat it with your fingers...

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#56 Amoureuse

Amoureuse
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

Went tonight ( second time ) with friends. AWESOME meal, had the Singing Pig salad, spinach with fried egg, salt cod fritters, pork & crab croquettes, pork rillete, Chicken breast with jamon, potatoes bravos, and the duck and clam paella. John sent us the jamon terrine & the Toro Bravo Paella...all was really good. They spaced the food out, and it came out fast! We had no room for sweets, but no regrets.
They were packed. Courtney says they will not take reservations ever.

Portland, I think we have a winner....all that food and 2 bottles of sparkling water, and 7 glasses of various wines & sangria $104 - what a bargin!

#57 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:53 PM

Went tonight ( second time ) with friends. AWESOME meal, had the Singing Pig salad, spinach with fried egg, salt cod fritters, pork & crab croquettes, pork rillete, Chicken breast with jamon, potatoes bravos, and the duck and clam paella. John sent us the jamon terrine & the Toro Bravo Paella...all was really good. They spaced the food out, and it came out fast! We had no room for sweets, but no regrets.
They were packed. Courtney says they will not take reservations ever.

Portland, I think we have a winner....all that food and 2 bottles of sparkling water, and 7 glasses of various wines & sangria $104 - what a bargin!

What table were you sitting at?

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#58 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:08 PM

Angelhair, Amanda, tammi & myself had a most excellent meal here tonight.

This was the first time the restaurant was totally crowded, and had a wait. Get there soon if you haven't been yet. Well worth it.

And get an order of the shrimp. Or five. Just make sure you eat it with your fingers...

Cat

And the Coppa steak..the Singing Pig salad, the Jamon wrapped chicken...but oh my.......the oxtail fritters :angry: John and crew is AMAZING......

It was a great night...great food & fabulous company! (Thanks ladies for a great evening) I'll be back on Sunday with my Mom for my birthday "eve" meal!!! (sigh) The Bday meal is always the same place.....maybe next year that will change!

#59 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:17 PM

I had a !!#!@ great time here tonight, sitting at the bar with a couple old friends.

We had the following:

pinches of beef (lean and grilled)
fried anchovies (served with so much romesco that we kept it around to dip other delectables into)
rilletes with toasts and cherries (when paired together almost had an espresso richness going down)
pork and cod croquettes (fried goodness)
steak with white romesco (thick piece of beefy goodness sliced from a roast - the sauce was perfect, esp. paired with potatoes and olive)
shrimp with chilies (sauteed in shell - i ate most of the shell! spicy)
spinach with fried egg (great concept and presentation)
chorizo and manchego and bread (nice intro to our meal - i've never had chorizo like this)

Everything was beautifully executed. we shared everything, and all was amazingly good. the fried slices of lemon paired with fried anchovies (heads and all) really hit the spot. our final food bill was $52 for 3 people (i'm not going to mention the bar tab).

At the end of the meal I gave into curiosity - an intensely muddled red/green pepper drink with mint, gin, ice, and simple syrup. It blew my mind.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#60 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:26 PM

It all sounds awesome. And radical to the max. I gotta get in here, it's killing me reading all the positive reviews.