Toro Bravo

• Please log in to reply
534 replies to this topic

#1 pdxlefty

pdxlefty
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

Did anyone here go to the open house at Toro Bravo on Friday night?

#2 mczlaw

mczlaw
  • Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

Did anyone here go to the open house at Toro Bravo on Friday night?

Yes, I did.

--mcz

#3 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

Yes, I did.
--mcz

Do you want to tell us about it? I'm curious...

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#4 mczlaw

mczlaw
  • Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:00 AM

Do you want to tell us about it? I'm curious...

Cat

But of course. . .

Nice little place. It will hold 50ish. Cool "make out room", a nook with a long bench seat and several tables for two that is physicially separated from the main dining room. Open kitchen to which the bar runs perpendicular. State of the art acoustic panels on the wall to cut noise. (We will see.) Stand up table in waiting area for noshing and sipping. Dining area tables are beautful, thick salvaged wood.

Food: Long, fun menu of small plates. Unfortunately, the printed menu is at home. I will supplement if I can find some time. At the opening, it was a limited menu--I sampled some salty almonds, very rich sheeps milk cheese balls, some patatas bravas and a delectable liver spread on toasts topped with pickled veg.

There is a molten chocolate cake on the dessert menu, but to la nina's disappointment, it was not available for sampling.

I should say that John Gorham is one of my longest time clients and I expect greatness from him and from Toro Bravo. Official open is tomorrow, Tuesday, 5/15. I hope to be there, though maybe I won't make it for another day or two. Maybe you could go?

#5 aristo

aristo
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

Correction to MCZ posting.

Ron here from Toro Bravo. Due to OLCC delay we will "soft" open Friday May 18th (NOT May 15th). So…
- "Soft Opening": Friday May 18th through May 31st
- "Grand Opening": Friday June 1st
Hours:
- Tue – Thu, Sun: 5 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Fri – Sat: 5 p.m. – midnight
- Mon: closed.

See you then.

Ron

#6 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

Where is this restaurant again?

Best regards,

Amanda

#7 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

So...Do I have this right? Chesterfield, Toro Bravo, and Rocket are all in the same building? I only see an entrance for Chesterfield when I go by, but no signage or indication of the other two restaurants. Am I blind or am I missing something or are the other two trying to be well-kept secrets?

Best regards,

Amanda

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:25 PM

By the Wonder Ballroom on Russell St:

120 Ne Russell St. Portland, OR 97212 | 503.281.4464

http://www.torobravopdx.com/

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:26 PM

No Amanda. I posted thinking you were asking about Rocket because I got my threads mixed up that you had posted to. I corrected the info but not before you saw it apparently.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#10 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:47 AM

Ron, here's wishing you and John and everyone else the best. Calabrese and I will make it there as soon as we can!

P.S. - Food Dude has the Toro Bravo menu up here: http://www.pfmenus.com/?p=70
Never give up! Never surrender!

#11 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:27 AM

Friends and I have tickets to a concert at Wonder Ballroom Friday night, so we're going to hit Toro Bravo for drinks and aps before hand. Looking foward to it.

Cat

#12 Daaaaave

Daaaaave
  • Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:17 AM

Friends and I have tickets to a concert at Wonder Ballroom Friday night, so we're going to hit Toro Bravo for drinks and aps before hand. Looking foward to it.

Cat

Meat Puppets...good times. :blush:

#13 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:48 AM

Oh my Ė what a great meal last night! A girlfriend and I hit Toro Bravo before a concert next door and had a really wonderful meal. Even without the draw of the concert venue I plan on eating here pretty often. It really was that good.

Iíll start off with two minor complaints first, then all the rest is good. 1) Really needs to expand the wine list. We ended up having a very good bottle of wine, but the choices are pretty limited, and more wines by the glass would be a good offering as well. And 2) we ordered four tapas and all of them came to the table almost at once. Next time Iíll tell the wait person to space them out better, but Iíd prefer if the kitchen did that automatically.

The food however was excellent, and with a quality to cost ratio that was spot on. We had four tapas, two glasses of wine & a bottle and the bill came to $35 a person. Without the amount of wine that we drank, you could comfortably eat here for $25 a person and leave very happy.

For the food, we had the Singing Pig Greens salad with grilled asparagus, chopped eggs and hazelnuts, Seared Scallops with Romesco, Griddle Shrimp w/ Chilies & lastly Roasted Eggplant w/ sweet pepper lamb ragu and Mahon Cheese. That salad was just delicious and the portion way more than two of us could even finish. The scallops were that perfect seared on the outside and medium rare at the center that I absolutely love. The shrimp had great flavor and were cooked just right. {One hint on the shrimp Ė I ate the first one with a knife and fork which was fine. But for the second one I ate it with my hands and then licked all the wonderful spices off my fingers. Definitely the way to go.} And the eggplant with lamb ragu (our favorite dish of the night) was a large enough portion to be a main course by itself. Iíll order that with a salad next time and leave very full.

As for service, they nailed that as well. Granted they werenít that busy, but they took care of us exactly the way we wanted. There was one person that I assumed was assigned to our table, but at least three people checked on us, poured water and wine, and dropped off and cleared. We also didnít order food until we had been there for at least a half an hour and got caught up on all the gossip we needed to share, and there was no pressure. The staff was attentive when they needed to be and backed off when they werenít. I was very pleased.

Also at the end of the meal the waitress brought us a bowl of chocolate covered almonds that were delicious. I think I ate about 60 Ė and could have continued for the rest of the night. They were awesome.

Cat

#14 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:29 AM

Wow sounds wonderful! I'm really wanting to go. Do they have happy hour?

#15 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the report, Cat.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#16 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

They're still in their 'soft' opening, so I doubt they've figured that out yet. But I'd go back in a heartbeat...

Cat

#17 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:13 PM

A girlfriend and I hit Toro Bravo before a concert next door

So, how were the Meat Puppets?
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#18 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

A girlfriend and I hit Toro Bravo before a concert next door

So, how were the Meat Puppets?

As much as I hate to hijack this thread - you asked... They were better then I expected. Since I didn't know their music I bought one of their CD's on Tuesday and listened to it a few times before the show. The CD "Meat Puppets II" was pretty alt-country-punkish with a heavy flavor of guitar rock. Everyone kept telling me they were Uber-Punk, but really they were much more reflective of the CD that I listened to. Good grove, good beat, I danced the whole time. As did most of the audience which surprisingly was about 98% men - I think there were four girls there...

The opening band however sucked big time. To the point that it added value to the night :)

Cat

#19 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:29 PM

They're still in their 'soft' opening, so I doubt they've figured that out yet. But I'd go back in a heartbeat...

Cat

Glad you had a good time at "The Meat Puppets" Good grief the visual that name provokes! :)
If you want company soon to venture to Toro Bravo, I'm game! It sounds fantastic.

#20 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:39 PM

If you want company soon to venture to Toro Bravo, I'm game! It sounds fantastic.

I want to go, too! We haven't had decent tapas in this town since Tapeo closed.