• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:13 PM

Now that the Hillsdale Farmer's Market is on its real schedule, Jill-O works there every other Sunday morning That means we don't make our brunch pilgrimage to Simpatica on those Sundays. Tomorrow is the first Sunday of the new schedule.

So our weekend breakfast out was at Bar Carlo this morning. I think its an interesting space. We got there a bit before 9 AM and it was nearly empty.

The menu is interesting though far too many items contain peppers to make me pleased (I did in fact ask they be left off my breakfast sandwich).

Jill-O got a scramble with bacon, Italian cheese, onions and mushrooms that I thought was pretty tasty.

I got the Bar Carolo melt with scrambled eggs. I did not care for the bacon in it but I am used to really good bacon (Applegate Farms from New Seasons). Even the bacon at the cafeteria at work strikes me as better. I would have like just a bit more mascapone in it but it was pretty tasty. The bun was a fluffy hamburger bun with seasmes and the texture was a bit strange for an egg sandwich.

The potatoes (which we requested be well done) were about 1/2 inch thick rounds. They were well done but totally unseasoned.

The plates were nicely garnished with fresh ripe pineapple and strawberry.

They serve Stumptown which is good. I thought $3 for a pot of Tazo Earl Grey was steep.

Service was good though I am not a fan of get your own coffee.

I would go back. And I realize the place has not been open that long.

#2 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

Where is this place?

#3 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:34 PM

Where is this place?

64th and Foster. VJ did a write up of it just recently: http://www.altportla...k/food/se.shtml

#4 veganaise

veganaise
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:37 AM

we had a bite there yesterday. nice space. friendly staff. well prepared plates. we shared the sweet crepes...though i would have liked them to be stuffed, they were topped with "huckleberry butter"...more like huckleberry sauce (not a couli, not jam). but the crepes were done just right, and tender. a friend got the savory crepes--stuffed with bacon, gruyere, and mushrooms. she liked them alot. our other friend got an omelet: the sopressatta, i believe. he lieked his alot. it was served with large medallions of potatoes and underripe pear and pineapple. the others had only the fruit.
they warned us when we came in that they were out of bread, due to a large week (probably all of the reviews). which restricted our choices, but they were friendly about it...very apologetic. and our espresso took quite a while, as they were readjusting their grind. no biggie.
im sure the place will be really good after they work out the kinks and get a bit more business under their belt.

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

fyi, they serve that huckleberry stuff with their toast so you can use it as jam. I liked it. I also like that they spread the toast with butter in back before bringing it out. I like the butter to melt into the toast and that rarely happens when it is not pre-buttered.

And I don't think $3 was too steep for the tea (heh, steep/tea) because it was a big pot and came with 2 tea bags. I do think, however, that they should get smaller pots so that they only have to charge you $1.50 for one tea bag.

The $1.50 for a bottomless cup of delicious Stumptown is great, though.

Most of the breakfast plates are around $8 and well worth it.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#6 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:23 PM

they warned us when we came in that they were out of bread, due to a large week (probably all of the reviews). which restricted our choices, but they were friendly about it...very apologetic.

The last time I was there the waitress mentioned they were looking for a new bread purveyor located closer to them. I think they use Grand Central right now. I suggested Provence.

I've eaten breakfast at Bar Carlo about six times now. What a welcome addition to my neighborhood.

I enjoy the atmosphere, the food and the staff. The space is still a bit raw and could benefit from some artwork on the walls but I'm sure they'll get to that at some point.

I've had the egg sandwich with marzipan and the other sandwich that's called something like Surprise, Natalie - You're in Peppersville! in addition to a couple of the scrambles. The one issue I have with the egg sandwiches is the rolls. They use pretty whimpy rolls and they get soggy. If they get a new bread supplier, I hope they upgrade the rolls for the egg sandwiches.

I haven't made it for lunch on a weekday yet but hope to get there soon.
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#7 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:10 AM

Had breakfast at Bar Carlo yesterday. They now have a full bar and there are some changes to their hours.

In addition to being open on Mondays now (from 8-3) their Tues. - Sat. hours are now 8am - 10pm and Sun from 8-3. I didn't see a special menu for the hours from 3-10 and they were a bit too busy for me to ask too many questions.

The space next door is coming along as well.
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

#8 breakfastguy

breakfastguy
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:04 PM

I finally made it to Bar Carlo today, and I liked it. I was also underwhelmed, if that combination of reactions is possible.

I had the smoked salmon scramble, which was long on salmon and had a nice combination of grilled red onions and fresh dill. But it didn't hold together the way I like scrambles; the eggs were a smidge overdone so they kind of fell apart.

My girlfriend had the King Melt egg sandwich (eggs, bacon, mild peppers, mascarpone, tomato and basil on a butter bun). I loved my first bite, but after that most of the taste went away; either they were short on the stuff other than eggs and bacon, or my girlfriend kept most of it for herself! Either way, the thing started well but wound up as bacon and eggs on (as someone else pointed out) a rapidly wilting roll.

Plusses: They gave us a half order of French Toast (not a menu option) so we could check it out, and all this plus coffee, tea, and tip was $30. Pretty reasonable. FT wasn't too distinctive, but fresh pineapple and pear on the plate was a nice touch. Neighborhood is cool, with a lot going on.

I also agree the space is a little raw, but it's certainly roomy, and the room next door (which I haven't seen before) doesn't look too close to opening. Coffee (self-serve Stumptown) seemed a little weak to me, but I like the hardcore stuff in New Orleans, so I might not be a good judge.

#9 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:19 AM

Looks like today's GroupOn deal is for Bar Carlo $12 for a $25 GC. Not a bad deal.

http://www.groupon.com/portland/