Photo

Where to get Golden Syrup in Portland area?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:42 PM

A friend of mine just returned from 6 months in New Zealand and a few weeks in Australia. She wants to teach me how to make a Pavlova (meringue dessert) but it calls for Golden Syrup. She said that most of their baking in NZ uses golden syrup and she can't find it locally.

Before I send her off to the land where shipping costs for glass bottle equals or exceeds the product price, has anyone seen it for sale in Portland? She lives near Hillsboro, so a west side source would be appreciated but not mandatory.

Cheerio!

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:43 AM

Not sure who might have it. I'd of course try all the gourmet stores, plus Winco which has a lot of oddities. Can't think of anyplace that caters to Brits. I bet you can find it easily in Vancouver, BC. But I did find a definition:

Golden syrup, long popular in Britain, is becoming more broadly available in this country. Lyle's Golden Syrup is the most common brand, and we have seen it in supermarkets in some pretty out-of-the-way places. It is also available in specialty stores and online.

Golden syrup, like molasses, is a product of the process of refining sugar. It is simply sugar cane juice that has been boiled down. It has the consistency of corn syrup, but a golden color and a taste different from either light or dark corn syrup, and also substantially different from its cousin, molasses.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:14 AM

Thanks Nick. I wouldn't have thought of Winco for it, but I can call them.

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:07 AM

You know, since it's a baking use, I bet an amber corn syrup or a light maple syrup would be a good alternative, as would a light honey. Good luck finding it. I really would think an organic store like Whole Foods or New Seasons would have it because they're always carrying sugar alternatives and the organic crowd are generally anti corn products.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's