Blossoming Lotus

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

Today I had a great lunch at this busy spot in the Pearl (thanks to a rec from Markovitch in another thread). It shares the building with Yoga Pearl and is light soothing and airy inside..all around good vibe.

I'm a veggie salad loving gal but don't often consider lunch without some kind of meat or fish, however the menu sounded really good so I got myself down there.

I started with the hibiscus mint mojito $3.00 No there was no booze in it but I'm concocting something similar to pour over ice with my vodka as I type. It was a perfect balance of tart and sweet. I can see myself stopping in to grab one for a quick treat.

I had the miso soup with tofu and vegetables. $3.50 The miso was rich and tasty veggies perfectly crisp. With the soup you have a choice of spelt bread, corn bread, or flax crackers...todays offerings included quinoa so I opted for it. I found it plain but with the soup was great.

I was watching all the bowls and plates pass by me and was wondering if I should have ordered a different salad....(I had ordered the spinach) $6.00 I saw one topped with bright shredded raw beets and carrots and got up to make sure I could have mine topped with these favorite items. My salad arrived full of beautiful spinach and with the additions I desired along with crunchy daikon and sliced tamari almonds. The sweet ginger dressing had a nice creamy consistency and was perfectly delicious.

The menu has some really interesting combinations and everything I saw looked fantastic. After I left I was feeling so healthy I had to balance it out with 2 Almas chocolates.

They do offer beer and wine plus one saki selection as well.

I'll be going back often!

http://www.blpdx.com/

#2 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:01 PM

I just noticed I didn't get this in the right catagory...grr how do I change it? Is it a job for the mods?

#3 vj

vj
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

I totally want to check that out. Soon! I've heard some great things from vegans as well about it.

(Oh!, and moved to Restaurants in Portland)

http://portlandfood....?showtopic=3835

#4 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:16 PM

I totally want to check that out. Soon! I've heard some great things from vegans as well about it.

(Oh!, and moved to Restaurants in Portland)

http://portlandfood....?showtopic=3835

Thanks for moving it vj..

Funny I was thinking of sending you a pm because I thought you would like the offerings there. I'm going back on Monday for lunch :)

#5 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:59 PM

I look forward to trying this. I have a hard time with most vegan/veggie agenda food because I find alot of it has tremendous amounts of sugar and has swapped their saturated fats for unsaturated fats and amplified those by a power of three. If this is as balanced as you say, though, I am eager to sample!

#6 vj

vj
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:07 PM

Funny I was thinking of sending you a pm because I thought you would like the offerings there. I'm going back on Monday for lunch :)

Oh, man! If you're looking for company, I'm there!

#7 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

Oh, man! If you're looking for company, I'm there!

I'd love it..hows 12:00?

#8 vj

vj
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

Yes!!! :) :ninja: :ninja:

#9 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:32 PM

I look forward to trying this. I have a hard time with most vegan/veggie agenda food because I find alot of it has tremendous amounts of sugar and has swapped their saturated fats for unsaturated fats and amplified those by a power of three. If this is as balanced as you say, though, I am eager to sample!

What I love about the menu is that they don't try to make "fake food"...it's all about fresh vegetables in their natural and proper state. The thing that makes me cringe about some vegan restaurants is the effort to make fake mac and cheese or chicken fingers.... :ninja: fish and chips.....blech I have to admit I haven't been to many vegan restaurants because this is what I most offen find on the menu and yeah lots of sugar unsat fats..you got it. For a carnivore I'd rather have a few ribs at Podnahs whats the difference? Geez I'll bet McD's chicken fingers are probably vegan too..who knows! :)
Ok back on topic, this place reminds me of a place I use to go to often in Berkeley that I loved. Going there today was magic!

#10 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:06 PM

This sounds awesome, thanks for posting about it!

#11 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

Their stuff is very good, very fresh. The cashew hummus is yummy. Overall, however, I would advise Beano beforehand. :P

#12 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:15 AM

for what it's worth, Aagave Nectar is their sweetener of choice.

#13 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:50 AM

Funny- I had lunch at Blossoming Lotus on Thursday too!
Great Minds think alike!

Overall this is a great place to go for healthy food. As much as I'm a meat eater now and then I need some good green food. (I'm actually thinking of going vegetarian for 3 months or so to refresh my eating habits, get new food ideas and feel a bit healthier. Or maybe it is because everyone I work with is vegetarian.) :P

Either way- Blossoming Lotus:
I'm not a fan of their Tempe Fajita but my boss loves it.
I do like their bowls, and 'live' items. (Live items are 100% fresh uncooked.)
Just to give you an idea of cost - most items run $6 - $8 and if you get more than one can add up over $10 quickly for lunch. 1 salad roll $2, entree $7, drink $3 + tip = $15.
Definitely a place to go for a fairly affordable lunch in the Pearl and have great fresh vegetarian/vegan food.

They also do catering.
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,345 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:01 AM

Overall, however, I would advise Beano beforehand.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#15 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:10 AM

Overall, however, I would advise Beano beforehand.

:P

Gee thanks MSG, I think!

#16 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:16 AM

Yes!!! :P :ninja: :ninja:

See ya there Monday!

#17 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:25 AM

Hee!

#18 scarletb

scarletb
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:35 AM

Hi all,
I don't usually post much as I never feel qualified, but on this one, I had to. Had lunch at Blossoming Lotus with a friend recently and had some of the worst service I've ever had. They were busy, but not slammed busy, but it took 45 minutes to get our sandwiches. When we inquired, twice, we were told they go in order of the ticket number, but that couldn't have been true as people who arrived after us with higher ticket numbers were definitely getting their food. Finally, we had to go back to work so we asked that when our sandwiches did come out if they could change them and put them in to go containers. The two girls making the food behind the counter made some very snarky, sarcastic comments that we easily overheard. My friend made a snarky comment back, and, all in all, it was a very uncomfortable situation. The girl at the register felt bad for us and gave us each a free vegan brownie.
Now, for the food...
The smoothies are great - exactly what they say they are without any weird additions - banana/blueberry/soymilk. Yum.
I had the tempeh barbecue sandwich which was okay. It was very salty, hardly ever a complaint from me. The bread was delicious, but too crumbly to hold up to the sandwich, so it turned into an incredibly messy ordeal I wound up eating with a fork. The vegan mayo they used on the sandwich was weird and gloppy and I would definitely request not to have that next time.
The brownie was unbelievably good - rich and chocolatey! Hardly healthy I'm sure, but man was it good.

I went back last week even though I swore I wouldn't because I was craving a smoothie on that hot day and couldn't figure out where else to go. If you're not in a hurry, the menu is creative and different that most of what you find downtown. Definitely check the brownie out!

Anyway, that's my two cents.

#19 vj

vj
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:16 AM

Yes!!! :rolleyes: :o :ninja:

See ya there Monday!

I'm going to try to get there a little early, as I hear it's a small place and it gets full at lunch. Can't wait!

#20 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:59 AM

Yes!!! :rolleyes: :o :ninja:

See ya there Monday!

I'm going to try to get there a little early, as I hear it's a small place and it gets full at lunch. Can't wait!

Ok good call see ya soon!