Kulongowski on Food Stamps Diet

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#121 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:14 AM

Yes, I read that with interest as well. I tried one of her suggestions last week - making your shopping list from the circular ads instead of the other way around. I clipped coupons from the Sunday/Tuesday papers as well. I noticed most of the manufacturer's coupons didn't expire for months, so I can keep an eye out for when they go on special and save on top of that. So, spending 1 hour on planning/clipping, then went to 2 stores (Safeway & Fred's) - spent $150 and saved $70. 46.6% percent savings. Yes, thank you.

That's really impressive LC.

I've long clipped coupons, but I never "over-buy" and donate. That just seems like a hassle to me, to be constnatly on the lookout for anything that is cheap or free vs. just what you need. But it seems like it's become a fun and worthwhile game to this woman...and when you see what she saves a profitable one at that!

#122 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

http://blogtown.port...d-stamp-foodies

Here’s a headline you’ll enjoy from Salon.com: Hipsters on Food Stamps

Here’s a choice quote from one Gerry Mak, a 31 years old, part-time blogger receiving $200 a month in federal food assistance through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (no longer in stamp form):

"I'm sort of a foodie, and I'm not going to do the 'living off ramen' thing," he said, fondly remembering a recent meal he'd prepared of roasted rabbit with butter, tarragon and sweet potatoes. "I used to think that you could only get processed food and government cheese on food stamps, but it's great that you can get anything."

That anything includes rabbit, wild-caught salmon, and any number of esoteric and organic goodies. The goods can be purchased anywhere from Whole Foods to Safeway.

The story has drawn so much ire from Salon readers, the site has allowed Mak a rebuttal. (I hope they paid him.)

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's