Photo

Kulongowski on Food Stamps Diet

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#61 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:41 AM

Wow, Pam, I'm impressed by your perseverance. If it had been me, I probably would have chcuked the whole experiment after the chicken incident. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Oh and I'm a peanut butter fanatic, too, I couldn't live without the stuff!

#62 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:50 AM

Oh, yeah...and after all was said and done, I came in at $21.01. Got a couple of really nice scores with a yogurt coupon when combined with the sale gave me 3 individual yogurt cups for .20 and found a Hillshire Farms sausage in the mark down bin for .89 normally $4.49.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#63 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:23 AM

You're doing great! Hang in there with it and keep us posted, Pam. I'm proud of you, Ma Bell and Pat who are actually giving this a shot! I've never been on food stamps, but I've had lean times when $10 would have to last me a week. Broccoli and Top Ramen were favorites in those days.

Best regards,

Amanda

#64 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:01 PM

Ducky, I'm sorry to hear about the chicken. I think you have a much harder challenge doing it on your own.

I have all my notes from last week and I'll try to post a summary this weekend. There were some bumps - like Pat forgetting his lunch one day and an unexpected out of town vegan guest. But mostly we ate home made tortillas. Lots of them.
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#65 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:37 AM

Kulongowski made the front page of the Oregonian today:

http://www.oregonliv...i....xml&coll=7

#66 ks95008

ks95008
  • Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:41 AM

He made it on the ABC national radio news around
4 or 5 pm yesterday.

#67 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:06 PM

Here was his shopping list:

Lettuce $.99
2 onions $.50
3 bananas $.66
2 zucchini $1.10
1 can kidney beans $.49
1 can garbanzo beans $.79
1 can tomatoes $.59
1 bag potatoes $.99
1 can corn $.50
Eggs (med) $1.09
Macaroni $.99
3 boxes macaroni and cheese $1.00
2 Cup-O-Noodles $.67
2 jars peanut butter $4.39
1 jar grape jelly $1.89
1 small chicken $3.06
Pesto $1.90
Pie crust $.89
Salad dressing $1.19
Coffee $4.00
Honey $3.20
1 large container plain yogurt $1.25
1 gallon milk $1.00 (on clearance)
1 Package imitation cheese slices $.99
1 loaf bread $1.00 (with coupon)
1 box granola $2.99

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#68 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:08 PM

The question of which ethnic cuisine is cheap is interesting. Mexican is definitely cheap but it isn't wildly healthy. Indian food is cheap and more healthy but I've always cherished the belief that Vietnamese food is the all-around winner for both economy and health. Salad rolls, for example cost next to nothing, as do most of the ingredients for pho and many other dishes. I volunteered with Vietnamese refugees back in the early 90's and all the people I got to know were able to feed themselves on food stamps, in fact at the church which put me together with the refugees there were rumors of surplus stamps changing hands through an informal market.

#69 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:18 PM

Laksa, that sort of depends on what the context is for "healthy". You're much less likely to starve on a Mexican diet than on a Vietnamese diet. Mexican diets are loaded with calories and protein, great for a peasant working class. Great for those of us who sit in front of a computer all day? No.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#70 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:11 AM

Laksa, that sort of depends on what the context is for "healthy". You're much less likely to starve on a Mexican diet than on a Vietnamese diet. Mexican diets are loaded with calories and protein, great for a peasant working class. Great for those of us who sit in front of a computer all day? No.

Agreed, but the Vietnamese working class seems to manage somehow. Must be the sweetened condensed milk!

#71 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:25 AM

They manage but they aren't necessarily healthy. I notice more health concerns in my vietnamese coworkers than my mexican coworkers. With mexicans, I see more diabetes. With the vietnamese I see other problems like unhealthy skin, underweight, things they don't put a name on, they just don't always look well. My mexican crew pops out healthy babies like crazy. I've see more miscarriages over the years from my vietamese coworkers.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#72 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:44 AM

The Onion makes funs

#73 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:57 AM

Best thing I've eaten so far this week has been banana muffins. The "banana bread for Pam" (that's what it says in the book) in Alford & Duguid's Home Baking, cut into a quarter recipe, makes a perfect 1/2 dozen muffins.

1 c flour
1/4 + 1/8 ts baking soda
1/4 ts nutmeg
1/2 stick butter
1/2 c sugar
2 1/4 ts rum
2 bananas pureed
1/4 c unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)

Mix dry ingredients and set aside. Cream butter and sugar. Mix in rum. Alternate bananas and dry ingredients. Stir in coconut if desired. Put in greased muffin tin, sprinkle tops with demerara sugar and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#74 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

SCORE!!!! I just found a forgotten chocolate bunny sucker in the back of my desk drawer that a co-worker left for me when I was on vacation. How long ago was Easter? Do I care? Why, no, no I don't. It's chocolate. Okay, this day is going better. :)
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#75 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:00 PM

Oh honey, this diet is rough on you! You just used four exclamation points and a smiley on month-old chocolate. It'll be over soon...

#76 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:15 PM

Oh honey, this diet is rough on you! You just used four exclamation points and a smiley on month-old chocolate. It'll be over soon...

:) :lol: :lol:
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#77 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:15 AM

Down to my last day and thinking about what's for dinner tonight. Things I have left are a 3 oz potato, 1/2 cup of rice, 1/2# of broccoli, kale, maybe 2 oz cheddar cheese, some flour and maybe 1/2 cup of milk, 2 overripe bananas and 2 grapefruit. Oh, and one egg.

Great post from Babs at Food Dude's site. Very enlightening.

http://www.portlandf...#comment-137014
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#78 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:35 PM

You could make something I got from Laurel's Kitchen a long time ago - bake the potato and in the meantime just barely steam the broccoli (cut into bite sized bits). Halve the potato, scoop out the flesh and add to the broccoli. Shred the cheddar cheese and add to the mix, along with s and p and a bit of milk. Mash all together well and put back in the shells. Bake until cheese is melted and the tops are starting to get golden. Really, really good! Add in a fried egg and some of the fruit and you have a pretty decent meal :-).
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#79 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:44 PM

Tejon, that potato recipe sounds simple and yummy! After hearing about the things you cook at your house, I want to come live with you :P!

#80 krispenn

krispenn
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

NYTimes picked up the Kulongowski story today:

http://www.nytimes.c...s/01stamps.html