Photo

Kulongowski on Food Stamps Diet

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#41 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:08 PM

Psssst...hey, Angelhair! What was that website you were talking about where you plug in the ingredients you have and it gives you a list of recipes? Can we get a link, please?
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#42 keittiomestari

keittiomestari
  • Members
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Life, food history, organic chemistry, wines, distilling, music

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:33 PM

Sad that a state in one of the richest countries in the world can only afford to shell out $3 a day for food satmps. The important things seem to be put close to last on the list.
When I was a child my mother couldnt even get food stamps, long story, but thankfully the church was there.
Now if faced with unemployment I am glad to know that the Govt here looks at nutrition as part of a healthy and productive life (meaning better able to look for work on full stomach than empty one). I would see 10€ (@13-14$) a day as reasonable. Bu then again I eat well and cheap at work. Off days though its about 35€.
Kiippis!

#43 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:44 PM

Beans and masa (not corn, but corn that's been treated properly to open up its protein stores) is a great nutritional combination and one of the best per dollar I can think of. Indian food, of course, is another fabulous cheap cuisine where you can get a lot of bang (ie, flavor) for your buck. The combo of coconut milk and rice in SE Asian cuisines gets you your calories in a hurry and cheaply. Eggs are an underappreciated protein. They work so well in spicy cuisines like Indian, Thai, Mexican, Malay, etc. I don't even miss meat when eggs are involved, usually boiled and crumbled or cooked easy so their "sauce" can enrich the dish, in these cuisines.

Cheap starches, though, are really the key: potatoes, rice, noodles, bread, beans, etc, especially if you make them from scratch rather than things like Minute Rice or canned beans.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#44 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:13 PM

Cheap starches, though, are really the key: potatoes, rice, noodles, bread, beans, etc, especially if you make them from scratch rather than things like Minute Rice or canned beans.

My thinking as well - get a 25# bag of jasmine rice from Thanh Thao or Fubonn that will last a few months. My mom used to keep small kitchen plastic trash can with a lid with a scoop (and we'd replenish every so often).

A rice cooker/warmer came in handy for always having hot rice on the counter. Also, in college, my Mexican roommates almost always had a large crock full of pintos on a low simmer, along with a bag of roasted and peeled chilies in the fridge. The rice/beans combo saved me during the lean summers in Arizona when I'd be lucky to get 2 shifts a week at the restaurant.

I was thinking about this challenge, but like Angelhair/Chris, I lived this lifestyle from the time I was a freshman in college to even a few years post-grad, and I wouldn't want to go back. When I look back, though, those were probably the happiest years of life, too. Huh.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#45 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:41 PM

Psssst...hey, Angelhair! What was that website you were talking about where you plug in the ingredients you have and it gives you a list of recipes? Can we get a link, please?

http://allrecipes.co...ngredients.aspx

#46 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

Thanks, Babe! ;)
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#47 keittiomestari

keittiomestari
  • Members
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Life, food history, organic chemistry, wines, distilling, music

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:32 AM

They should perhaps add a little info pamphlet to the stamp package informing a bit on nutrition so people might be able to eat more rounded meals. To many carbs is not a great way to stay healthy.
Kiippis!

#48 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:54 PM

I remember seeing that somewhere on their website as well as other places to get help. What I didn't find is what you can get for the food stamps or maybe a list of where you can use them. The Papa Murphy's thing really surprised me.
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#49 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

http://www.oregonfoo...iew.html?id=148

For those doing it, the original press release says to send an e-mail to advocacy@oregonfoodbank.org so they can keep track of how many people are involved.
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#50 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:16 PM

I've lived on less per day as well, $10 a week back in '91 for a while. Not something I'd suggest, that's for sure! I didn't eat meat (too expensive) and lived on potatoes, eggs, cheese, beans, pasta, salsa, salad greens, and apples. Oh, and ramen noodles with extras, that oh so versatile food item. Did end up with a really good bean dip recipe out of the mix, along with an abiding fondness for spaghetti and marinara topped with shredded cheddar (believe it or not, pretty tasty stuff).

I had a cookbook back in the early 70s called "The Food Stamp Gourmet". Somehow it got lost in all the moves I've made since then, but I found a copy of it at Powells. When I looked through it, I found some really good recipes, some ahead of their time. What made me laugh was the estimated prices for the ingredients. But the point is that you can eat well on a food-stamp budget.

It's available for $22 at Powells.com, but there's no photo of the cover there. Amazon has it for an unbelievable $85:

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B0006W0IGI

You may recognize the cover art style. At least I do... keep on truckin'!

#51 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:07 PM

Did my shopping today and came in $6 over budget. I had to buy some fruit and a couple of other items to make a cake for a brunch we're going to tomorrow so I am not going to beat myself up that I went about 14% over budget. I searched for a cake recipe that I had the most ingredients for on hand to try to keep the extra costs down. I'm expecting my work week to be insanely busy, so I'll probably save all of my observations for one long post at the end.

After doing some price comparisons I did most of my shopping at Food 4 Less. Their produce was less expensive than FuBonn and Winco. I stopped by the produce place across from Fred Meyer on 82nd but the quality was so poor I could not bring myself to buy anything there. I bought tofu at Trader's because it's cheapest there. And I bought cereal and small amounts of bulk flour and dried beans at Winco. I completely forgot to check prices at Save-A-Lot until I was already done shopping.

The only meat I bought was some pork for carnitas and some chuck steak. There is enough pork for about 6 servings and there are probably 4 servings of chuck steak. We'll also have vegetarian tamale pie, tofu steaks, and homemade pizza as lunch/dinner options. And there is the incredible, edible egg as well.
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#52 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:51 PM

I was thinking of a one post blog at the end too. Mine is a mixture of who has what cheap and what's on sale. I'll be watching the ads this week and clipping my coupons. I think we'll see three totally different takes on it when we are finished. Did some of my shopping at Grocer's Outlet and Freddie's yesterday. $1.39 for a 10# sack of potatoes at Fred's. Thought about FuBonn but was too tired to get that far. I was reminded that eating takes money or time and work. Been gleaning my mark down bins. The other thing I'm doing is taking a quarter of staples. You get food stamps for a month not by the week so I figure it's fair game to quarter a bag of rice or flour or sugar or a jar of peanut butter.
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#53 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:24 PM

I just finished my weekly shopping for our family, and ended up going a little bit under the $3 amount, though not intentionally. There were some things I didn't need to buy for our weekly menu since I had some foods already on hand, as usual most shopping trips.

Here's the menu this week. Not incredibly exciting, but I do have to factor in a 6 year old and an 8 year old. This is a pretty typical menu - some easy dishes (pizza, pancakes), some vegetarian dishes, small amounts of meat (3 pounds total for the week for all four of us).

Carne asada tacos, arroz rojo
Quinoa salad with grapefruit and avocado
Pepperoni pizza, mixed green salad
Lentil Soup with coconut milk and warm spices
Danish pork burgers, green beans, roasted potatoes
Chicken yakitori, steamed rice, cucumber salad
Cottage cheese pancakes with yogurt, berries and walnuts

breakfasts: bagels, oatmeal, cold cereal, eggs, toast, orange juice, milk, soy milk, and tea

lunches: egg salad and grilled cheese sandwiches for the 8 year old, quesadillas and cheese cubes for the youngest, with apples, bananas, mini carrots and Jo Jos cookies. Leftover chicken and salad greens, cottage cheese for me. Leftover dinner fare, apples, and crackers for Dan.

Total spent, family of four (between Safeway, Trader Joe's, and Bob's Red Mill): $77.21
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#54 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

Sounds pretty damn good, tejon! Good job.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#55 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:38 AM

Kulongowski starts this week, and so do I! No sacrifices for me, though, except when I sign the check! How has everyone else's experiments gone? Are you too starving to type in the results? Did anyone break their 'diet'?

On a related note, Michael Pollan discusses how expensive it is to eat healthily:

http://www.nytimes.c...;pagewanted=all

#56 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:52 AM

When I talked to Ma Bell and Pat this weekend they were done with it and had kept to it. Ducky is starting hers this week. It was interesting to hear Ma Bell's take on it. I hope they share their thoughts of it with the group via a post sometime soon.

Best regards,

Amanda

#57 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:05 AM

I was planning on starting it today, but that might have gone out the window. Yesterday I woke up with a wicked sore throat and coughing up all kinds of junk. I'm worse today.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#58 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:21 AM

Kulongowski starts this week, and so do I! No sacrifices for me, though, except when I sign the check! How has everyone else's experiments gone? Are you too starving to type in the results? Did anyone break their 'diet'?

On a related note, Michael Pollan discusses how expensive it is to eat healthily:

http://www.nytimes.c...;pagewanted=all

Ongoing experiment here, doing well. This week was a little bit higher - $81.67, but still within the food stamps amount. I will admit I'm a bit of a freak in terms of the amount used for food for a family, but if nothing else I'm proof that it can be done and in a healthy way. Keeping that bill low has been one of the ways we have managed on one income, so it's been worth it to do. I love the challenge of making it work, too - it's kind of a game to keep everything under a certain amount while eating well.

Again, much more difficult to do as a single or couple so I have it a bit easier than others trying this out. Hats off to everyone trying this or donating!
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#59 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:55 AM

One of my favorite books on doing things cheaply is The Impoverished Students' Book of Cookery, Drinkery & Housekeepery by Jay Rosenburg

Long out of print, it has recently been reprinted by Reed College and avaialable at their bookstore.

http://bookstore.ree.....gination_id=W

#60 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:28 AM

Started sunday. Made bread and two batches of soup for the week. Really wishing I had a dishwasher now that I'm doing all this cooking. Picked all the meat off my chicken bones yesterday, bumped the tray and it went flying. It all landed on this little rug where we stand to wash dishes. I'm sure the neighbors heard me swear. Sat down and ate 1/2 my weeks allotment of chocolate after putting the rug in the washer and my chicken in the trash. I wanted to eat two weeks worth of chocolate but I stopped. Now I have rice and corn in chicken stock. Not enough peanut butter. That's driving me crazy. I went as heavy as I could on veggies and fruits. Now I'd toss it all for more peanut butter. (In grade school, the kids at school called me Peanut Butter Pammy.) Free salad samples at work. Didn't care for the dressing but I ate it. For the single person I would also suggest picking up the book Small Batch Baking at the library. Going to try the small batch of 3 oatmeal cookies later in the week. Doing okay but it is harder than I thought.
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli