Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

Saw it here:

http://www.culinate......t on $3 a day
Never give up! Never surrender!

#2 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:59 PM

Nice. I'd like to see him do it for a month though. A week seems too easy to me.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

I think doing it longer in some ways makes it easier -- at least budget-wise. You can buy stuff in bulk. There was someone doing this and they showed their budget and it included things like Papa Murphy's, which apparently takes food stamps. Of course, one of the things rarely mentioned in these is that food stamps aren't suppose to be a family's entire food budget. They're supposed to be a supplemental source for food. I thought about doing this. I don't think my wife would go for it, though, and making two people's meals everyday would be a pain.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:38 PM

I think he needs to do it long enough to have a more physical impact and long enough to really make him go crazy. You can diet hard core for a week but a month is much harder. He'd have to find some serious will power. I give him credit for doing it at all though.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#5 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

It's more that just 'dieting', it's deprivation. I think you can survive on food stamps, but not much else. To those of us who food brings such joy and adventure, this would indeed be rough.

I believe I just spent his entire week's budget on beer today! And speaking of which, The new full Sail LTD (02) is out, and so are several new New Belgium beers. The Fred Meyer on W. Burnside now have a cheese "counter", with such goodies as Maytag Blue cheese (at $20 a pound, you could eat three pounds of that for a week)!

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

I'm not sure food stamps should be meant to bring "joy" to people, though. It's a safety net. I know what government cheese tastes like (a lot like Velveeta, actually). It sucks. But I didn't get skinny eating it.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#7 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:04 PM

I agree with you MSG, it is a good program that helps a lot of people during tough times. I am just saying that it would be difficult for any of us to do it.

#8 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:58 PM

I know what government cheese tastes like (a lot like Velveeta, actually). It sucks. But I didn't get skinny eating it.

Dude, you are just so wrong. Goverment cheese rocks. Say whatever you want. I don't care. There are people in the world that crave that stuff. And nothing that is sold in the stores comes close. (Yes, it has been a few years...working off of childhood memories, but still...)
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#9 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

I am just saying that it would be difficult for any of us to do it.

I agree but that's exactly the point. That's why he's challenging people to do it. I'm up for it. Anybody else?
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#10 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:42 PM

Not necessarily that difficult. As a family of four, we usually spend $3 a day or less per person per week, and I don't consider our diet sparse or depressing in any way. We do eat meat and buy organic dairy out of that budget. It takes some work and some planning to eat well on that amount, but it's definitely possible. Coupon cutting, buying when things are in season and on sale, and making a lot from scratch helps (and tastes better, too).

We've been at or below this level for several years. Happy to pass along anything that might be helpful.
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#11 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:12 PM

Anybody else?

Perhaps.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#12 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:32 PM

I would give it a try. I know what my average weekly grocery spend is so I was thinking if I gave it a try I would donate the balance of my budget to the Oregon Food Bank.
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#13 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:16 AM

Cool idea, Mabell! I was thinking of challenging anyone that doesn't do it to give $21 (or whatever) to the Oregon Food Bank.

I agree with Tejon that it's do-able, it just takes work, time and the know how. I was realizing last night that it will be tougher for me being single than it was when I was doing the shopping for a family of five. My challenge will be keeping my meals interesting doing it for one.
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#14 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:35 AM

I spent my entire life up until the age of about 22 extremely poor and, "as God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again." I won't regale you all with the ugly details, but let's just say that I know very much what it's like to make do with little or nothing.

So, Ducky and everyone, I am more than happy to give, but I am done suffering.

#15 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:27 AM

I agree - it's easier to do when there are more people to feed. Much trickier to eat on $21 a week for one than $84 a week for four, especially when many sale items are for larger amounts of meat or packaged goods. I've been on the scarier side of poor before as well and I'm not going there again, either. It's nice to finally be at a point where I can choose to spend less on food, but have the money to go out to eat or splurge on a good steak or something decadent if I want. I also feel lucky to be able to help other people who are in need - that's an amazing blessing.
- Kathy

#16 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:28 AM

I also got to thinking last night that Ted should do a second week with the $21 budget and figure in what he would give up for a sales tax. That might be an eye opener for Mr. Taxandgougeme.

I was trying to think of what would be realistic for my budget and since you generally don't start food stamps with nothing in the kitchen I'm thinking of allowing myself these guidelines. Salt, pepper, baking soda, baking powder should not be included in my $21 for the week. I figure the dollar amount I would use of those in a week is so small. And if I had a family or were doing this long term (most people aren't on food stamps one week) I'm thinking I can figure into my budget a portion of a jar of peanut butter, jam and mayo. I'm going to keep a list of my purchases and meals. Might be interesting to compare what people do and what tips we have or if we learn anything along the way.
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#17 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:36 AM

I won't live off the $21, but I will donate. How about this: The week that you guys do the challenge, I will keep track of every cent I spend on food and drink. I will donate that amount to the food bank. Now that could end up being a lotta money!

I am with you Kathy, we are blessed to be able to help others.

#18 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:41 AM

You'd most likely have a bit more than that on hand. You'd have herbs, spices, condiments, dry goods such as rice, beans, legumes and pasta, baking items, canned goods, some frozen vegetables, some cheese, a can or two of soup, etc.

It's interesting to see how much you can tweak an inexpensive menu. I have helped out friends with "plan 10 meals out of what I've got left on hand plus a $10 trip to the store", and have been surprised with how much you can do. It's kind of fun when it isn't a necessity - and less than fun when it's reality.
- Kathy

#19 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:12 AM

I won't live off the $21, but I will donate. How about this: The week that you guys do the challenge, I will keep track of every cent I spend on food and drink. I will donate that amount to the food bank. Now that could end up being a lotta money!

I am with you Kathy, we are blessed to be able to help others.

Sweet! You go, Girl!
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#20 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:20 AM

You'd most likely have a bit more than that on hand. You'd have herbs, spices, condiments, dry goods such as rice, beans, legumes and pasta, baking items, canned goods, some frozen vegetables, some cheese, a can or two of soup, etc.

Yeah, but for me, I probably woundn't go for food stamps until it all ran out. MaBell and I had this talk about if there were some sort of natural disaster in Portland, we could probably just feed most of the city off of what us foodies have stock piled. For me, that's the leftover from poorer days. I have a lot in the apartment. I could live off of $0 for awhile, I'm sure. I think the $21 week challenge should be closer to what it would be like if that is all you had.
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli