Caffe Pallino

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:00 PM

About a week old -- stopped in there this weekend. Place is as spotless as spotless gets. I imagine that what it's like living inside a vaccuum pack.

Selection of coffees, sandwiches, salads, pastries, and gelato. I only have had the gelato and I have been back 2x since. It is soooo good. The almond nougat, caramel latte, and green tea rock. I am thrilled to bits that there's good gelato I can walk to. It's made on premises and I liked it far better than Mio's. Great texture, super-silky, flavors really came through.

It's worth a visit, IMHO; I can't speak for the other food but it's a nice-looking place, for what it's worth. I plan to hit it for brunch soon; prices looked exceedingly reasonably though I dunno what portion sizes are like.

They're open 7-8 M-F and 8-8 weekends.

#2 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

About a week old -- stopped in there this weekend. Place is as spotless as spotless gets. I imagine that what it's like living inside a vaccuum pack.

Selection of coffees, sandwiches, salads, pastries, and gelato. I only have had the gelato and I have been back 2x since. It is soooo good. The almond nougat, caramel latte, and green tea rock. I am thrilled to bits that there's good gelato I can walk to. It's made on premises and I liked it far better than Mio's. Great texture, super-silky, flavors really came through.

It's worth a visit, IMHO; I can't speak for the other food but it's a nice-looking place, for what it's worth. I plan to hit it for brunch soon; prices looked exceedingly reasonably though I dunno what portion sizes are like.

They're open 7-8 M-F and 8-8 weekends.

I love gellato for breakfast, thanks for the report I think I'll hit it up in the am!

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:26 PM

Thanks. Is this on the north or south side of the street?

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

North side, next to Rudy's barbershop. I need a haircut* so I'll prolly stop by for lunch.

*Actually, I need them all cut. Yukyukyuk

#5 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:09 AM

It's on the corner...just looked the address up. 3006 SE Division.

#6 vrunka

vrunka
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:17 PM

I had breakfast here today and really enjoyed it. It's owned by the same woman who originally owned Henry's Cafe just down the street and there are several dishes that are the same or similar including the well-loved brioche French toast.

I had the Breakfast in a Bowl which is roasted potatoes topped with two poached eggs, salsa, cheese and two strips of bacon. It was great -- the eggs were just the way I like them with the whites firmly set and the yolk still runny. I'm not sure what bacon they use, but it was really good. The potatoes were really nice too: roasted with a good crust on them.

The space is lovely. It's airy and bright and modern without being cold. It's counter service only, but there are lots of tables (some communal, some private). Coffee is served in massive 16 oz mugs. The pastries and gelato looked great (all made in-house), but I couldn't quite handle gelato at 10 AM so I'll have to come back and try them another time.

Everything was really inexpensive, too. I didn't get the price breakdown, but the total cost for my breakfast, Mr. V's scramble and two coffees was $13.

If this were still my 'hood I'd probably become a regular fast...

#7 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

OK, when I went after they opened, I thought that there was much better gelato in the city. And there was...then. But now, not so much, and I am tired of traveling to the Pearl or the Northern hinterlands.

I keep trying to avoid ingesting more ice cream, but from the time I was a kid, after Chinese food we went to get ice cream. Usually Carvel...mmm, softserve... Forty years or so later, I still crave ice cream/gelato/frozen custard after eating a meal of Asian food. Sushi, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Thai...it's ridiculous.

So even after being full after eating at Wafu on Friday, I agreed to going to Cafe Pallino for gelato. I tasted the pistachio and stopped there. Great nutty flavor, wonderful soft and creamy texture...OK, you've convinced me, this stuff is really good.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#8 averilpdx

averilpdx
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

Jill-O - that's bizarre... I have the same ice cream craving after Asian food as well! Mine came from a Tasti-D-Lite machine in the deli next to my favorite sushi place in NYC. I think there's something very satisfying about the cool/creamy after the salty/spicy. In any case, I like Pallino as well, and went there the after the last time I went to Wafu. Quite a winning combo.

#9 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

I sometimes crave an ice cream only I used to find in Chinese restaurants in NYC (have never seen it or heard of it anywhere else) - pistachio with cherries in it.

#10 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

I sometimes crave an ice cream only I used to find in Chinese restaurants in NYC (have never seen it or heard of it anywhere else) - pistachio with cherries in it.

im sure you can find some reasonable version of Spumoni here, no? I almost want to say I saw some at cash and carry the last time I was in there...
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#11 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

Nope, not spumoni ice cream...pistachio with cherries. Unlike any spumoni I have had (though pistachio is often a flavor in spumoni) and never found anywhere outside of those Chinese restaurants...but often found in American-Chinese places at the time I was in NYC.