Berries!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 krispenn

krispenn
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:13 AM

Holy Schnookies! This transplanted NYC girl had forgotten the joys of picking your own food. (No, scooping and plucking at the farmer's market doesn't count). So off I went with my sis-in-law and niece for a berry adventure.

We drove out to Sauvie Island Farm thinking maybe strawberries and raspberries if we were lucky. The strawberries were at the end of their season, but in their place, early blueberries were ready! (some low bush version, which tasted all good to me - so raspberries and blueberries it was).

22lbs of berries later between the 2 (well 3) of us... not counting what we ingested along the way, left us tired, sticky, and with several shades of
blue/purple on us.

What a great place. I certainly want to go back for more (oink!). The woman weighing us out mentioned next up are marion berries in a few weeks.

Viva le jams/chutneys/syrups/ and probably more scones to come!

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:26 AM

Down in Lane County (Eugene area) this last weekend, my wife's family went strawberry picking and it only took them a couple feet to fill two huge buckets. They're a little warmer down there, though. The strawberries at the Portland Farmer's Market this last weekend were pretty sad, I thought. Not a lot of flavor to them. Probably not enough sun and too much water?

Wait til blackberry season when you don't have to go to a farm. I brought a friend out here in late summer one time and he wondered why, with all the free food in Oregon, there's anyone hungry.

Last year, I would go to my nearest golf course and stop on a couple holes and pull out a big pitcher and my wife and I would fill it with blackberries. Best blackberries ever. (Last year was a good year for them, too.) I have a friend with 100 acres and tons of blackberries. They had blackberry pie, his favorite, for months last year.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:36 AM

Go find blackberries and pick them. NOW! Last night we went paddling and berry picking. The berries are just perfect right now - large, juicy, and ripe, but not overly ripe. We were able to pick a 3 quart container of them, plus 3/4 of a 10-quart bucket's worth in no time flat. I never wanted to stop there were still so many to get in the area we were at. My mother has plenty for jam, cobbler, and pie now, I believe, but Lord knows, I can get at least that much and more again.

Himalayn blackberries are an invasive species here, and seem to thrive. In natural places a lot of them have been eradicated, but look around, there are still plenty of brambles all over the place with delectible treats yours for the picking! Go forth and harvest the bounty!

Best regards,

Amanda

#4 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:22 AM

I went out and picked another 8 quarts of blackberries last night. The getting is still good, but I think in another week or so, most of them will be overly ripe and falling off. My mom made an excellent cobbler with some of the berries I gave her last week. YUMMMMMMM!

I got pretty scratched up last night(no pain no gain kind of applies here) and gained a bounty so I think last night was my last time for grabbing free berries this season. I done good, though, and I've made a few people very happy. It's been a wonderful blackberry season.

Best regards,

Amanda

#5 singingpig

singingpig
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:41 AM

Mine just started last weekend and now they are abundant. Cool weather means they are staying firm, large and a little tart.

me all proud:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

Out on the golf course last night (Rose City) there were a lot of pickers and they looked to be about peaking, with red ones still on the vines and almost no overly ripe ones.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's