Binh Minh, Powell blvd.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 pokpok

pokpok
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:38 PM

Heads up: Binh Minh Bakery and Deli has opened their new location on 80th and Powell in the old Nam's Deli (R.I.P.) space. Today was first day open. The food is exactly the same as the old NE Broadway location (which remains open), that is to say superior to all other Banh Mi in the area claiming to be the best, if you know what I mean.

#2 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:40 PM

Heads up: Binh Minh Bakery and Deli has opened their new location on 80th and Powell in the old Nam's Deli (R.I.P.) space. Today was first day open. The food is exactly the same as the old NE Broadway location (which remains open), that is to say superior to all other Banh Mi in the area claiming to be the best, if you know what I mean.

So, Andy, where do you think the best banh mi on the Westside (not downtown but towards the Tron) is? Tried Tan Tan last weekend. Jill-O liked it better than I did. I like that place off SE Foster or Powell a lot better but that's me and I am still getting experienced with banh mi.

#3 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:51 PM

Having thrown down two #3s at Binh Minh (Broadway) last weekend, and the prior weekend eating @ Best Baguette, I must concur. The meat is higher quality, the sandwich is dressed perfectly (Best Baguette forces you to dress your sandwich yourself and included only one jalapeno slice), and the bread is what really puts it above all the rest. Binh Minh bakes the best, crusty french rolls.

Vina Deli up the street also has a good french roll...though I don't think they bake on the premises. Their main selling point is that their rolls have more girth and the sandwich is more ample than other places. Best Baguette has probably the longest roll, but it's more of a narrow torpedo.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#4 Kartoffel

Kartoffel
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:36 AM

Does anyone know Binh Minh's hours? We tried to go Sunday afternoon and they were closed. We didn't see a posted list of hours. Thanks!

#5 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:40 AM

VJ was talking about this last night. I think they may have had holiday hours or something. VJ, do you know what the story is with them?

#6 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:40 AM

We went Sat. afternoon and had a very tasty lunch. We had two #1 (Binh Minh Special - pate and several kinds of pork/ham) with extra meat, 2 pate chaud and a can of Coco Rico soda all for about $8.

The sandwiches were very good - nice torpedo rolls, enough carrot (I opted out of the jalapeno and cilantro), enough meat, tasty pate.

The pate chaud were excellent - very flaky dough and flavorful filling.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#7 vj

vj
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:01 AM

They are open til 5 7 days a week. That said, I believe there was an easter mishap, because I saw one of the owners on Saturday (immediately after they closed, sob), and he said they would be open "tomorrow" (when, of course, they weren't).

I took a couple pictures of the front and the menu board, which is more limited than the Broadway location is (or was): http://flickr.com/ph.../tags/binhminh/ (those include pictures of the Broadway location too).

The deal with Best Baguette: the rolls appear to be ficelles which are thinner, short baguettes. They are a foot long. In expecting that it would be like every other banh mi joint I had been in, we ordered 5, so we could taste a bunch of things, and be sure to be full leaving. We ate, in fact, 2 and a half sandwiches. They have bubble tea and sorbet as well.

I ordered the pate banh mi at BB and it was weird. They had some solid cheese-type substance in the roll, and they were stingy on the pate (and the jalapeno). They were more generous on the others. Oh, and they put mayonnaise on the sandwiches. That doesn't seem right.

#8 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:22 AM

Funny, I thought that there's always mayo on banh mi...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#9 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:29 AM

I am not the banh mi lover that some are but I have to say that compared to other places we've visited the banh mi at Binh Minh rocks.

#10 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

Binh Minh bakes the best, crusty french rolls.

Definitely.

They are open til 5 7 days a week. That said, I believe there was an easter mishap, because I saw one of the owners on Saturday (immediately after they closed, sob), and he said they would be open "tomorrow" (when, of course, they weren't).

This is the same for the new location, too? It's what keeps me from going more -- that they close so early.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#11 FoodLuvr

FoodLuvr
  • Members
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Food food.. banh mi, Binh Minh Sandwiches, drink, drink, drink...

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:58 AM

With the new opening of our 2nd location, it's been a little hectic in managing 2 stores for us. We apologize for the odd hours. We actually sold out of bread at the Broadway location early on Sunday and did not have enough bread for the 2nd location! When things get into full swing, our hours will be regular.

With the 2nd location being bigger, we are moving our bread making/baking operations to that location so we won't have that problem of running out of bread anymore. We're hoping to have this done within the new few weeks, where we are also able to sell loaves of bread as well, not just the sandwiches themselves as well as added items to the menu soon too (more pastries and rice/grilled items).

With the new POS we're putting in, we're also hoping to have a little more order at the shop, so you don't have to shout your order to the sandwich maker :)

I would be glad to let you know of our grand opening in a few weeks where we will have some specials as well.

Thank you all your patience and support!

#12 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:06 PM

With the new opening of our 2nd location, it's been a little hectic in managing 2 stores for us. We apologize for the odd hours. We actually sold out of bread at the Broadway location early on Sunday and did not have enough bread for the 2nd location! When things get into full swing, our hours will be regular.

With the 2nd location being bigger, we are moving our bread making/baking operations to that location so we won't have that problem of running out of bread anymore. We're hoping to have this done within the new few weeks, where we are also able to sell loaves of bread as well, not just the sandwiches themselves as well as added items to the menu soon too (more pastries and rice/grilled items).

With the new POS we're putting in, we're also hoping to have a little more order at the shop, so you don't have to shout your order to the sandwich maker :)

I would be glad to let you know of our grand opening in a few weeks where we will have some specials as well.

Thank you all your patience and support!

That's fabulous FoodLuvr. I don't see how Best Baguette will get any post-Fubonn action from me this point forward.

Will you be selling any dishes such as goi cuon or bun?
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#13 FoodLuvr

FoodLuvr
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:19 PM

That's fabulous FoodLuvr. I don't see how Best Baguette will get any post-Fubonn action from me this point forward.

Polloelastico, no plans for goi cuon or bun dishes yet, but I will definately let my mother know that there has been a request :)

#14 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:31 PM

Polloelastico, no plans for goi cuon or bun dishes yet, but I will definately let my mother know that there has been a request :)

SInce you are taking requests.... :P ... how about a Beaverton location?

#15 FoodLuvr

FoodLuvr
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:39 PM

Funny you mention that... there just might be one coming in the near future :P

#16 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:54 PM

Funny you mention that... there just might be one coming in the near future :)

:) :P :P :D YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Something close to Murray and Millikan would be good.

#17 vj

vj
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:05 PM

One other Best Baguette note: they use par-baked commercial bread, I think. At least, the bread has no tooth. It's nowhere as good as I remember Binh Minh's.

FoodLuvr, I'll try again next weekend. I really can't wait.

#18 pyrofemme

pyrofemme
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

Funny you mention that... there just might be one coming in the near future :)

:) :P :P :D YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Something close to Murray and Millikan would be good.

That would be fabulous!! Anywhere in Beaverton is fine with me.

#19 Napzard

Napzard
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:30 PM

More competition for Banh Mi, I love it!

Oh and Best Baguette..I don't like how you gotta pack it yourself, they skimp on the meat. I like the drive-thru, hate the banh mi.

#20 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:06 PM

Never had Bahn mi!!! It sounds so delish, I'm giving it a try tomorrow! Binh Minh is just a few miles up Broadway from me. What kind should I get?