San Diego & Vicinity

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:00 PM

PDX Bill was my favorite teacher as well...you must be in my brother's class though (I'm a few past my 20th)..we need to do happy hour somewhere..or wine! Small world!

Yep thats the Rubiois I went to once....when I went back for taco tuesday,they were gone. Sad day!

#22 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:24 PM

It didn't help that everyone was drunk and obnoxious, and that describes the wait staff. I'm not sure if I want to fistfight the help when I go out to eat. And tables throwing shrimp shells at each other - I guess that could have been fun if I was in junior high school and wanted to relive Animal House. Which aptly describes the atmosphere.

That's the whole point. No one goes there for the food. Don't be a snob. :wub:

#23 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

PDX Bill was my favorite teacher as well...y

To quote Bill, "Woody, don' be tawkin' while I'm tawkin'!

You must be in my brother's class though(I'm a few past my 20th)

Trust me, Tammi. I'm not in your brother's class. I'm in a third class all by myself - not to mention that I'm way too old to have graduated with your brother. :wub:

#24 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:35 AM

PDX Bill was my favorite teacher as well...y

To quote Bill, "Woody, don' be tawkin' while I'm tawkin'!

You must be in my brother's class though(I'm a few past my 20th)

Trust me, Tammi. I'm not in your brother's class. I'm in a third class all by myself - not to mention that I'm way too old to have graduated with your brother. :)

So PDX, when you mentioned our 20th reunion...what did you really mean??? :P

You got Bill down..did you have Mr Wightman too???

Whoa we are way off topic! Sorry Stu!

#25 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:15 AM

So PDX, when you mentioned our 20th reunion...what did you really mean??? :)

I see where your confusion might lie. I meant "our" 20th reunion - as in "our class" or "my graduating class's 20th reunion". My meaning, which wasn't clear, was not that I'd tell you at "our" 20th reunion, but that the incident took place at "my" 20th reunion. Sorry. I also didn't say when that took place and I'm not telling. :P :P

#26 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:50 AM

So PDX, when you mentioned our 20th reunion...what did you really mean??? :)

I see where your confusion might lie. I meant "our" 20th reunion - as in "our class" or "my graduating class's 20th reunion". My meaning, which wasn't clear, was not that I'd tell you at "our" 20th reunion, but that the incident took place at "my" 20th reunion. Sorry. I also didn't say when that took place and I'm not telling. :P :P

Brat! :P

#27 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:20 AM

Just not willing to admit publicly what I've admitted privately - and that's my age.

Now, back to your regularly-scheduled program, Restaurants in San Diego. There are, based on the responses so far, no restaurants in SLO.

#28 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:44 AM

Stone brewing's bistro is now open. San Diego IPA is enough to make me consider moving to town...if the foods as good as their beer, you can bury me there.

http://www.stoneworldbistro.com/

If you'd move to anyplace because of one brewpub you need to shorten your name by removing the last two letters.

Why do you think I moved to Portland? The friendly, welcoming attitude?

#29 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:59 AM

I forgot to mention two places in Hillcrest....One is Celadon really exceptional Thai with very interesting uncommon appetizers. Its been a few years since I've been back but it was very good. Another fun place is Kemo Sabe on 5th. Kind of East meets west, and wild presentation but good because its done differently. I like that whole part of town for people watching. There is also an awesome bakery Bread et Cie that is incredible its also in Hillcrest on University if I remember correctly. (Ok so thats 3 now I'll stop!)

#30 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:00 AM

I forgot to mention two places in Hillcrest....One is Celadon really exceptional Thai with very interesting uncommon appetizers. Its been a few years since I've been back but it was very good. Another fun place is Kemo Sabe on 5th. Kind of East meets west, and wild presentation but good because its done differently. I like that whole part of town for people watching. There is also an awesome bakery Bread et Cie that is incredible its also in Hillcrest on University if I remember correctly. (Ok so thats 3 now I'll stop!)

Kemo Sabe's worth the trip just for the presentation, I agree. I disagree on Bread et Cie. Mediocre when compared to the best the Portland has to offer - Pearl, Ken's and Baker & Spice. It IS on University - at 4th if memory serves. Maybe it's just because of the memories over the last XX years, but I like the bread from Solunto Baking Co. on India St.

#31 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:08 PM

If you'd move to anyplace because of one brewpub you need to shorten your name by removing the last two letters.

Why do you think I moved to Portland? The friendly, welcoming attitude?

Aw..... bear with the bears, Twitch........ it's not Portland, it's where we were from before PDX.

#32 riverinn

riverinn
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:14 AM

Carl Schroeder's new place. . . Market Del Mar in Del Mar by the polo fields. Never have I known a better chef who is more passionate about his food and puts perfect food out every time. Crazy good.

#33 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:06 AM

Just not willing to admit publicly what I've admitted privately - and that's my age.

Now, back to your regularly-scheduled program, Restaurants in San Diego. There are, based on the responses so far, no restaurants in SLO.

PDXWino, behave or I might just have to share what you've admitted to me...... ;)

#34 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:28 AM

PDXWino, behave or I might just have to share what you've admitted to me...... ;)

What - my age or my felony conviction for serving red wine with fish?

#35 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:32 AM

What - my age or my felony conviction for serving red wine with fish?

Your age. But I understand there is an outstanding warrant for you in France because you call American and other non-French sparkling wine champagne. :P :P :P

#36 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

This site has a great write-up of Stone Brewing:

http://www.thebrewsite.com/index.php

#37 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:06 AM

But I understand there is an outstanding warrant for you in France because you call American and other non-French sparkling wine champagne. ;) :P :P

I don't think so . . . well, except on the days when I refer to Oregon pinot noir as Burgundy.

#38 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:36 PM

Awww come on you guys! Do tell! PDX I'm dying to know (you being a fellow viking and all) BTW My husband is also one!

#39 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

Okay, okay. Last year was my 40th reunion. I didn't go.

Disclaimer - I was fairly young when I graduated but 40 years is still a long time.

#40 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:03 PM

Okay, okay. Last year was my 40th reunion. I didn't go.

Disclaimer - I was fairly young when I graduated but 40 years is still a long time.

:wub: :w00t: :P

I haven't been to any of my reunions, I just go back and eat at all my favorite places. Restaurant reunions are more fun!