Photo

The Country Cat Dinnerhouse

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#1 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:22 AM

Anyone know anything about this place?

The Country Cat Dinnerhouse and Bar
7937 SE Stark OFF 82nd
Pdx 97215
503 443-6265

American Farmland Cuisine
Food inspired by America’s heartland… by
Marcus Oliver, Formerly a chef of Clark Lewis and
Adam Sappington,former chef day cuisine of Wildwood

Opening 4/27
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#2 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:33 PM

I love the name - if someone can turn the roadstop into really tasty...wooo....

#3 gustoeater

gustoeater
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:35 PM

chef day cuisine ?

perhaps he worked the lunch shift. (har har)

#4 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

it's spitting distance from Ya Hala. if ya'll want some bearings.

#5 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:43 PM

Had to read the title twice to see that it wasn't "Country Cat House"

It would be nice to have some edible comfort food here in the hood. I hope they do breakfast - I'm in the Bermuda Triangle of breakfast choices - Elmer's, Cameo and Gateway Restaurant.

#6 whippy

whippy
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:17 PM

this, my neighborhood, awaits you.

though I can't figure out where it is.
I love how yummy food makes me feel happy!!!!!!

#7 vj

vj
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:08 PM

this, my neighborhood, awaits you.

though I can't figure out where it is.

Hmmm. It's on the same side of the street as Yahala, and between 79th & 80th. BiPartisan is 7901. Maybe where Dickson Drugs was? Yes, it's the same house number. So right at the corner of 80th.

vj (who used to work 2 blocks away)

#8 whippy

whippy
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

Thanks VJ, you're right. A while ago the project was mentioned and I drove around with my eyes wide open. Didn't find it. There are cat graphics prowling around Dickson's Drug now, though.
I love how yummy food makes me feel happy!!!!!!

#9 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:42 PM

It was mentioned briefly in the Oregonian in an article in the "inPortland" section about the new Montavilla Farmers Market:

http://www.oregonliv...i....xml&coll=7
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#10 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

I really hope it's biscuits and gravy, pot pie, roast turkey, or some other comfort food than the standard meatloaf + mac and cheese that everyone does.

#11 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:34 AM

Pot pie! Yeah!

#12 veganaise

veganaise
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:31 PM

i have a friend who got the offer to be on their line, and got to walk through their adhoc kitchen where they are working out recipes and pre-curing for their opening. he said it looks like a solid concept and plan for the place. they are thinking that they will showcase styles and regional fare from all over the states (ie: salmon runs here in spring, chile harvests in the southwest in the fall, midwest corn harvests in august, etc). he also said that they have 4-50gallon lexans of hams curing as well as a slew of other meats curing in preparation for their opening!!!!
is anyone out there NOT excited about house cured hams from local hogs??? if so, you're nuts.

#13 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

Mmmmmmm...... porkage in all its goodness. Thanks for the info on the hams, veganaise. Do you know which supplier/farm is producing their pork?

#14 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

i have a friend who got the offer to be on their line, and got to walk through their adhoc kitchen where they are working out recipes and pre-curing for their opening. he said it looks like a solid concept and plan for the place. they are thinking that they will showcase styles and regional fare from all over the states (ie: salmon runs here in spring, chile harvests in the southwest in the fall, midwest corn harvests in august, etc). he also said that they have 4-50gallon lexans of hams curing as well as a slew of other meats curing in preparation for their opening!!!!
is anyone out there NOT excited about house cured hams from local hogs??? if so, you're nuts.

I am more excited about the salmon, but that is because it is the pork of the sea.

#15 veganaise

veganaise
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:54 PM

Mmmmmmm...... porkage in all its goodness. Thanks for the info on the hams, veganaise. Do you know which supplier/farm is producing their pork?

cannot say for sure, but i would be really suprised if it wasnt from carlton farms of iowa gold. both the top guns there are nazi's for quality ingredients.

#16 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

cannot say for sure, but i would be really suprised if it wasnt from carlton farms of iowa gold. both the top guns there are nazi's for quality ingredients.

I have a thing going right now for the vande rose farms deli ham..... sweet mary...... that stuff is so.... f...ing amazing.

#17 tdub

tdub
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

Opening night at the Country Cat Dinnerhouse! Mt Tabor residents have been waiting 20 years for this formerly scruffy street to take shape and Country Cat is a big help in the transformation.

Busy opening night, as expected. We were the first diners in the door. A few opening night bumps here and there, but nothing serious, just a little bit of a wait between courses, but certainly to be expected under the circumstances. Our meals ranged from good to spectacular. A simple mixed salad with blue cheese ($6) was airy, light and delicious. I had the Cast Iron Skillet Fried Chicken with a braised bibb lettuce and grilled asparagus tossed in a creamy Tabasco vinagrette ($18). It was quite good, but my wife's Beer Batter-Fried Whole Rockfish was the topper. Maybe the best fried fish I ever tasted. Rich, lightly crusted and an incredibly fresh cut of fish. Decent wine and beer selection. Adam appears to be on a quest to keep things simple, yet innovative.

Smallish menu, but saw many items I will return to tackle again. Some intruiging items were: Toasted quinoa with wild mushrooms, rappini & fresh goat cheese, Grilled artichoke skewer, fish and shellfish chowder pot pie, maple suar-cured wild salmon, manila clams with smoked country ham and sugar peas, bacon wrapped trout, a good looking burger, molassas and hickory-smoked duck leg and on and on. My dessert of warm rhubarb pie with buttermilk ice cream was superb.

Beautiful, informal atmosphere, seating for 64, well stocked bar, we left very satisfied.

#18 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for the report.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#19 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:54 PM

Bacon trout! Bacon trout! Bacon trout!

Somehow it needed to be said three times.

Did you notice if they had taps going? How much was the fried fish?

#20 tdub

tdub
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:28 PM

Bacon Trout, is right! Next time!

When I asked what they had on tap, he first named Terminal Gravity and I took the bait immediately, caving in under absolutely no pressure.

The Fried Rockfish was an incredible $11. For the most part, the prices looked very reasonable. Appetizers $5-$12, Seafood $7-$16, Meats $8-$23.

I can't emphasize enough how nice it will be to have this fine place down the street from us. First, the Academy Theater is revitalized, then a coffee spot, a wine bar, a spa, now Country Cat and in July, a Sunday Farmer's Market around 78th & SE Stark.

tw