Best Mexican Food in PDX

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Susurradeluz

Susurradeluz
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:32 PM

Hi, yup I have eaten pupusas at Glorias (the Beaverton restaurant that grew out of the Farmer's Mkt) and El Palenque and the place on Foster, which I think was called El Salvador restaurant then, although it was about 2 years ago for the place on Foster.

The truth is, they all seemed to be going for the "fill up the plate" version, ending up a bit soggy and not as tasty as those I've had outside Portland. Ok I should probably just say, they weren't fried enough? And it seems to me I didn't get the curtido (slaw) with the pupusa at one of those places, I'm thinking it was El Palenque. The slaw is important to the mix of textures and flavors, the acid cuts the cheesy masa thing.

Ok I'm beginning to feel like a pupusa snob here, but when you've had a great one, it's hard to go back.

Next time I go to Bonitas I'll try the tamal. Thanks for the suggestion.

#22 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:36 PM

I don't think any that I've had were huge, just the typical sizes I've had in other cities. They were closer to the size of a corn tortilla than a flour tortilla, eg. Probably 5-7 inches. I always got the curtido, too, and usually a little crema, I think. Even Gloria's was that size, although I had it at the market and it was microwaved and rather disgusting.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#23 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:44 AM

Hey guys --
we went back to Michoacan (on N Interstate between Portland & Lombard, in the old Playa Azul space). It was rather disappointing. Storebought chips on the table. Joe got fajitas, which were good, but very home cooking -- the stove obviously wasn't hot enough to char the outside. I had camarones ahogados, which I've never had before, and liked quite a bit. But, neither of us walked out with that glow of a really good meal -- it was fine, and would have been good even if we hadn't had such expectations, remembering how it was a week and a half ago.

#24 Victoria

Victoria
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:34 AM

Hi, I will be going to the demolition derby in Hillsboro this Sunday and am dying to try some of the Mexican carts/tacquerias in Hillsboro. Could someone give me a) The names of some places that will be open on Sunday afternoon and :w00t: the actual locations/addresses of them? I looked on the West-side crawl thread and didn't see any addresses. I wasn't looking very hard though. It's Friday and I am lazy!

#25 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:32 PM

Ochoa Hermanos Taqueria or some such name is at 943 SE Oak St in Hillsboro. Can't go wrong with the prices or the food. When I went there a couple weeks ago, no one spoke English, so either do your best at Spanish or smile a lot and point and say numbers. Whatever you end up with will probably be completely delicious.

Best regards,

Amanda

#26 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:38 PM

Ochoa Hermanos Taqueria or some such name is at 943 SE Oak St in Hillsboro. Can't go wrong with the prices or the food. When I went there a couple weeks ago, no one spoke English, so either do your best at Spanish or smile a lot and point and say numbers. Whatever you end up with will probably be completely delicious.

Best regards,

Amanda

Ochoa is the best in Hillsboro. I wouldn't really bother with any others.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#27 Knobcreeky

Knobcreeky
  • Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:37 PM

Best regards,

Amanda

Ochoa is the best in Hillsboro. I wouldn't really bother with any others.

I concur. Their carnitas rock, nice selection of salsas. I was a little bummed that they did not have tacos de tripa when I was there but since you are going on a Sunday you might get to try the menudo. Unless, of course, you don't like tripe. :(
I am fairly sure MSG will chime in with a glowing endorsement of their huaraches de birria. I haven't tried the birria yet but can vouch for the huaraches.
"Shop smart- shop S-mart"- Ash

#28 Victoria

Victoria
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:23 PM

I will definitely stop by this place then!

I only hope the demolition derby is as awesome as the food at this place sounds. Though I can't imagine a bunch of beat up cars ramming into each other while I chug plastic cup after plastic cup of Budweiser be bad. The only thing better would be if the champagne of beers is on tap, then it will be High Life until the cart me away from the fairgrounds.

#29 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

Omigod Victoria! I haven't been to a demolition derby for years!! I laughed so hard I was weak...there is something very weird about screaming and cheering when people crash into each other lol...

Is it very far ? What fun!!

#30 Victoria

Victoria
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:28 PM

Hey PDXNewbie! It is at the Hillsboro Fairgrounds this Sunday at 7pm. Tickets are only 7 bucks, but you can't put a price on the precious memories!

#31 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:25 PM

Yep, yep, yep. Definitely Ochoa. There are other good places with specific items they do better than anyone else, plus there's Grande Foods not far away, but Ochoa rules. My favorite dish is the huaraches (pronounced wah-RAH-chays) topped with meat of your choice. My choice is birria de chivo (bee-REE-ya day CHEE-voh), which is essentially roasted goat. They do an awesome version and it comes sided with guacamole and nopales. They do excellent carnitas, tamales, have a great salsa bar, do a nice mole, on weekends have freshly grilled chicken, and al pastor on the spit. Gorditas are another thing I get.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#32 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:29 AM

Nick once spelled out lists of Mexican restaurants in town in very helpful categories. I prefer the Taqueria Nueve/DF/Nuestra Cocina style. Unfortunately, I can never think of anything like this that's open for lunch. Any sort of fresh-mex place with alot of options would be good too (while I wouldn't call it fresh, Cha is out of my book because everything there is so bland).

#33 Will

Will
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Rugby, Traveling, Cooking, Touch Rugby, Foraging & Wild Food, Australian Football, Biking, Breaking bikes, Fixing bikes, Fixing strangers' flat tires, France, Japan, Austria, The Czech Republic, Languages, Numbers.

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:21 PM

It's more of a mission-style tacqueria, but I love it so much that I have to plug Porque No on N. Mississippi. Delicious carnitas (occasionally a little tough, but usually juicy and flavorful).

#34 hatchetface

hatchetface
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:45 PM

i second the por que no? rec. so delicious! homemade tortillas give them an edge over taq-nueve. wonderful seafood tacos (squid is my fave - gently cooked, nice and tender)

have some chips & guacamole while you wait for tacos, but i wouldn't bother with the salsa that comes w/ their chips. as tasty as their taco toppings are, you'd think they'd make a good one, but i have found it to be little more than bland tomatoey-water.

#35 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:51 AM

How is Por Que No's fish taco? Have you tried it? I've been wondering about that place!

#36 Will

Will
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Rugby, Traveling, Cooking, Touch Rugby, Foraging & Wild Food, Australian Football, Biking, Breaking bikes, Fixing bikes, Fixing strangers' flat tires, France, Japan, Austria, The Czech Republic, Languages, Numbers.

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:00 AM

Haven't had the fish, but I can testify to the tastiness of the squid as well as shrimp. Carnitas are my favorite, pollo verde is nice too.

#37 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

How is Por Que No's fish taco? Have you tried it? I've been wondering about that place!

I've had the fish, it is a fine fish taco. Hatchface is correct in the tortilla assessment. Warning: they are $3.50 apiece. You'll need at least three.

They are $2.50 during happy hour.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#38 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:12 AM

Por Que No is fine, but the problem I have is that there is better/cheaper not far away. Perhaps not if you're looking for ceviche, though. But if you want ceviche and a nicer atmosphere, there's Andina.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#39 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:55 AM

I don't know why I keep forgetting that place....I gotta go! Thanks for the input on fish taco. Oh and I love Andina's ceviche!

#40 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:33 PM

Since I can't find a dedicated thread, I'll throw in on porque no here:

Love:
That they're adequately spicy for being a joint that caters to Anglos. If only Chax3 followed suit and added some heat to their menu.
Spicy cucumbers on menu!
Cerveza on tap!
That I went there on a hot summers day! Outdoor seating ++

Aside from cukes, I had a flank taco and a chipotle chicken taco. Bold flavors on both, which I really enjoyed. The chipotle chicken seemed much more hot than smoky, though - not a bad thing, but not the traditional rendition of chipotle that I'm used to.

The flank steak had aged for three days and was great. It came with some fajita style veg that really complimented the deep muskiness of the beef. Much better than their carne asada, which according to counter girl doesn't marinate in anything - they just spice coat it right before they throw it on the grill.

I didn't try the carnitas or the pescados, but may return to do so during a happy hour so I can adequately compare to Taq Nueve (my fav).