• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:24 PM

Dear Amanda,

Please rest assured that customer service isn’t slipping at the Fremont shop- all of our people are better than that.

I conducted that guy’s transaction, and his account above is inaccurate.

That was sweet what you wrote though! Thank you for your support-and please introduce yourself next time you see me.

@Twitch

Your posting above is an inaccurate account of our transaction yesterday.

I am one of the owners, I handled your transaction, and if you want redress, please introduce yourself next time you see me- I will make sure you are taken care of. In the meantime consider: I thought you were going to ask for MORE ice.

-David

David,

Since no one has yet to officially welcome you to Portland Food, I would like to take the opportunity to do so. And to plead with you and the other owner(I've forgotten his name) to please put a Flavour Spot in SW Portland somewhere in the Multnomah or Hillsdale area. With gas prices being as high as they are, we can't justify a trip to North or East Portland just to get our waffles.

Please?

#42 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

David,

Thanks for your reply, but I am confident in my recollection of the event. I appreciate your offer of redress, but I don't really hold grudges over service - I just document what I experience and share it when others when prompted. I additionally take notes when I'm particularly interested in a food or outing, and feel more sure given that I jotted down our transaction a few minutes after. I would appreciate you pointing out to me where you believe I am mistaken or lying. I additionally don't understand what you mean by "I thought you were going to ask for MORE ice." - I just asked for a couple of cubes.

Two of your regular customers that I am friendly with (they live in the neighborhood and have been to the Fremont stand several times) supported my complaint later in the day, citing a similar attitude during their visit that morning. I don't know whether they were indulging me as a friend or authentically dissatisfied, but they did give you the benefit of the doubt as they said "they're usually pretty chill, but someone must have spit on their spats."

You, of course, have a right to defend your business on this board, and I won't begrudge you that. I can't think of how to progress from here other than disclaiming each other's accounts. I do not regret giving you my business and gratuity, and wish you the best.

#43 Daaaaave

Daaaaave
  • Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:47 AM

Dear Amanda,

Please rest assured that customer service isn’t slipping at the Fremont shop- all of our people are better than that.

I conducted that guy’s transaction, and his account above is inaccurate.

That was sweet what you wrote though! Thank you for your support-and please introduce yourself next time you see me.

@Twitch

Your posting above is an inaccurate account of our transaction yesterday.

I am one of the owners, I handled your transaction, and if you want redress, please introduce yourself next time you see me- I will make sure you are taken care of. In the meantime consider: I thought you were going to ask for MORE ice.

-David

FWIW, if David is who I think he is, then this is one awesome dude. Probably the most mellow cat I've met at that hour of the morning. Even let my wife order a couple waffles once on the honor system while I drove around looking for an ATM because I forgot they didn't take cards (NOTE: the closest one is at the gas station on MLK and Fremont, don't make the mistake of fruitlessly driving down Mississippi).

It is lamentable that so many people take to the internet now to shit on the service industry before even trying to talk to the people themselves. Welcome to the Citysearch world.

#44 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:59 AM

It is lamentable that so many people take to the internet now to shit on the service industry before even trying to talk to the people themselves. Welcome to the Citysearch world.

What's wrong with what Twitch said? It's not like he railed on the guy unfairly. Sounds like the owner was a bit curt to Twitch, if not rude. Even in the owner's reply, I got the impression that he was gruff.

Are you saying that when someone gets bad service they talk it out with the owner? I guess my point is that bad service shouldn't happen in the first place. Servers/owners/managers should treat everyone as if they are a food critic. Because in this day and age, everyone is (or can be). This internet is a great equalizer. Indeed, I trust the reviews of so many in this forum more that I do those of paid critics.

#45 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:23 AM

Good customer service is important to me. If I get an attitude from the server the last thing I'm going to do is have a heart to heart talk with them or the management about it. I don't want anymore hassles. I'll just want to wolf down my food, hit the road, and never come back. Unpleasant encounters, right or wrong, will keep me from going back to a place sometimes even if the food is phenomenal, and if the food is less than great, well it's definitely curtains for me as their future customer.

I'm not particularly picky or demanding and I'm generally a very courteous customer (at least I hope so). If a server is having a bad day and takes it out on the customer then that is up to them. They run a risk of doing so because if it's me I'm coming straight to the keyboard and give the scoop on this board. If they fling me crap I'm not going to try to kiss and make up with them so that they can make things right and try to be sweet. It just ain't going to happen. Hip indifference doesn't thrill me, either. I just want to go in and be treated nicely and I want to feel glad I came to eat there.

However, if the customer gives an attitude they should apologize to the server if they're having a bad day not of the server's doing. Customers also have a responsibility to be nice to servers, as well, IMO.

Best regards,

Amanda

#46 Daaaaave

Daaaaave
  • Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:30 AM

Are you saying that when someone gets bad service they talk it out with the owner?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

The internet may be a "great equalizer" as it comes to offering opinions, whatever those may be worth, but I'll assert it's done nothing whatsoever in the realm of courtesy, on both sides of the counter.

#47 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:50 AM

Are you saying that when someone gets bad service they talk it out with the owner?

The internet may be a "great equalizer" as it comes to offering opinions, whatever those may be worth, but I'll assert it's done nothing whatsoever in the realm of courtesy, on both sides of the counter.

Just exactly how would that conversation go? "Excuse me sir, but I believe you are being curt with me, if not rude?" Umm, if the guy was in fact curt, if not rude, how do you suppose he might reply? That's not a conversation that I want to be having!

#48 Daaaaave

Daaaaave
  • Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:25 AM

Just exactly how would that conversation go? "Excuse me sir, but I believe you are being curt with me, if not rude?" Umm, if the guy was in fact curt, if not rude, how do you suppose he might reply? That's not a conversation that I want to be having!

Then I'd say we'd fundamentally disagree on how we'd approach that situation. I would (I'd hope) always presume whatever alleged attitude was unintentional and hope that by pointing it out further miscommunication could be avoided. Since it takes two to fight, I don't see much downside to simply letting the guy know your needs aren't being met before dashing home to take a dump on the guy on the internets. I'll also note that more than a couple industry people here (whom I all love) have reputations for being somewhat difficult on patrons and 99.9% of the time the good denizens of this board back them to the hilt, leading to the appearance of a pack mentality, not that of "the customer is always right". And since this board is for the proferring of opinions, I stepped forward to vouch for David, since I'm a somewhat regular neighborhood customer and I think he's tops.

Doesn't mean I won't buy you a pint if/when you finally make it to a Timbers game though.

Edit: If you like, we can always have a chat about this offline, since I don't want to hijack a good waffle joint's thread with yet one more lengthy pf.org diatribe on acceptable customer service.

#49 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:21 AM

All I know is when I've gone to FlavorSpot (but I can only speak to the one on Lombard). Both service and waffles were wonderful. I will probably continue to go to that one since I'm happy with everything there.

Best regards,

Amanda

#50 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:54 AM

Daaaaaaave - You are sure entitled to decide how you want to behave in the face of bad service. However, no one died and made you in charge so telling anyone else how to handle service issues. Chastising anyone for not following your rules (are you a cop or a lawyer and I am somewhat kidding) is well over the top. I gotta say the few times I've had truly atrocious service either, before or after the advent of the internet, I've pretty much never gone back to the place (one was a place I used to eat frequently and I did put a comment on the old style stubs about how bad the service was (pre internet)) and I have either told my friends how much the place sucked and not to go there or since the interbet I have posted. Subpar service is one thing and I will post about it but I will go back. Rude and stupid service is another issue. The only time I would talk to a manager or owner is if it was someone I personally knew. And some of them would probably listen and take action. I can think of others who would likely defend their server no matter the situtation. Or that's a guess based on posts I've seen here.

#51 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:15 AM

Just for the record, from my perspective I think that last dressing down was completely unnecessary. While I do agree I would not discuss a server's curt behavior with them or any of the other restaurant staff, your views are welcomed, Daaaave. I don't agree with them on this particular topic, and apparently others don't either, but you may still voice them. We get a little out of line here sometimes.

I also agree that we should get back on topic and discuss how wonderful the waffles at FlavorSpot are!

Best regards,

Amanda

#52 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:30 AM

I shouldn't have to correct someone on bad service. It's there choice on how they act, and it's my choice to bitch and tell others about my experience.

You work in a service industry, and face it, restaurants are a service, then customer service is as key to the experience as food. I have what was only decent/good food with flawless service and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. I've had outstanding food with poor service and it ruined the experience to the point I don't want to go back.

Of course, at a food cart it doesn't bother me so much, just give me the food, service isn't very important to the experience.

Now back to the good waffles.

#53 Daaaaave

Daaaaave
  • Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:50 AM

Just for the record, from my perspective I think that last dressing down was completely unnecessary. While I do agree I would not discuss a server's curt behavior with them or any of the other restaurant staff, your views are welcomed, Daaaave. I don't agree with them on this particular topic, and apparently others don't either, but you may still voice them. We get a little out of line here sometimes.

I also agree that we should get back on topic and discuss how wonderful the waffles at FlavorSpot are!

Best regards,

Amanda

Thanks Amanda, but that's okay. I always enjoy the little ironies in these types of threads.

And, as always, a pint on me if we ever get a chance to meet. I'd like to say hi.

#54 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:07 AM

Come on out to an event with us, Daaaave! I'm not much on beer, but I'll take up your offer of some other beverage, gladly. It would be nice to meet you, too.

Maybe we should all gang up on FlavorSpot some fine weekend morning and chow down. I think I'd want to call them and warn them to be ready for us and to be especially pleasing that day! HA!

Best regards,

Amanda

#55 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

Come on out to an event with us, Daaaave! I'm not much on beer, but I'll take up your offer of some other beverage, gladly. It would be nice to meet you, too.

Maybe we should all gang up on FlavorSpot some fine weekend morning and chow down. I think I'd want to call them and warn them to be ready for us and to be especially pleasing that day! HA!

Best regards,

Amanda

I might be up for that! I've missed you all and it would be great to meet some members I haven't already met. And I can be assured of a fresh, crisp waffle - they don't travel to SW Portland all that well.

#56 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

Great! Maybe this can be an event I could actually organize. When is a good time to do this? I can't do it this Saturday, but everyone who is interested, please feel free to toss out some weekend dates when we might swoop down and partake!

If we decide on a good date and time that works for most I will start a new thread and away we GOOOOOO!

Best regards,

Amanda

#57 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:15 PM

Gotta say in my past online encounters with Daaaaave over the whole market thing, he never seemed to lack for dishing out verbal edginess or opinionated postings.

#58 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:41 PM

Great! Maybe this can be an event I could actually organize. When is a good time to do this? I can't do it this Saturday, but everyone who is interested, please feel free to toss out some weekend dates when we might swoop down and partake!

If we decide on a good date and time that works for most I will start a new thread and away we GOOOOOO!

Best regards,

Amanda

We could do it this Sunday the 4th or next Sunday the 11th. Saturday the 10th is out because it's neighborhood cleanup day. Our best time would be around 9:30, before we go to the pool. Would one of those days work for you Amanda?

#59 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

Gotta say in my past online encounters with Daaaaave over the whole market thing, he never seemed to lack for dishing out verbal edginess or opinionated postings.

Drop it already!!! Back to the waffle goodness that is FlavorSpot!

#60 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

Drop it already!!! Back to the waffle goodness that is FlavorSpot!

You said it better than I could. I googled some images of a dead horse and none are appropriate for the venue.