Photo

FLAVOURspot Waffle Stand

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_greenandgreensalad_*

Guest_greenandgreensalad_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:18 PM

Does Flavourspot take cards, or is it cash only? I drive by this place all the time and never stop b/c I don't carry cash often...

They take cards, oh and has anybody mentioned they have wi-fi? Don't question it- JUST GO!

#22 pdxdirect

pdxdirect
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

mmmm I made the trip about a month ago and was really happy
I ordered the lemon curd and whipped cream , then thought gosh I doubt one waffle will be enough! so I ordered a plain w/syrup too - boy was i wrong - one waffle will do ya!

I really really want to try the ovaltine mocha. Please open another hut in the SW - maybe on Barbur! Yay!

#23 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:50 PM

mmmm I made the trip about a month ago and was really happy
I ordered the lemon curd and whipped cream , then thought gosh I doubt one waffle will be enough! so I ordered a plain w/syrup too - boy was i wrong - one waffle will do ya!

I really really want to try the ovaltine mocha. Please open another hut in the SW - maybe on Barbur! Yay!

Yeah, I agree. Maybe on Capitol Hwy, in the parking lot of the brewery between Fryer Tuck's and Seasons and Regions. I promise to get at least one waffle a week, or up to four!

#24 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

Yeah, I agree. Maybe on Capitol Hwy, in the parking lot of the brewery between Fryer Tuck's and Seasons and Regions. I promise to get at least one waffle a week, or up to four!

Waffle place on Capitol Hwy sounds like a damned good idea to me.

#25 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:19 PM

Waffle place on Capitol Hwy sounds like a damned good idea to me.

Me too!!

;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#26 myswandive

myswandive
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:21 PM

Missed this email in time for grand opening, but FlavourSpot II will be opening in January at the corner of Fremont and Mississippi. Still NoPo, but a little closer in for those of you who don't want to venture up to Lombard.

Subject: RE: waffles
Headers: Show All Headers
Ahoy-hoy waffle enthusiasts,

How are you? We are fine.

Please join us this Saturday December 15th 9AM to 1:30 PM at

Waffle Asylum: FLAVOURspot #2 pre-opening ?celebration??

The deal is: show up to our new location in a robe (bathrobe, kimono,
Obi-Wan kit etc.)
and your waffle is free. Any kind you want. As many times as you are
willing to wait on
line.

The catch: This will be the first test of our new equipment. Something
will break. There
may be sparks or inordinate wait times. Everything SEEMS to be
functioning fine, but we
can't really push our gear to the limits without either throwing away
a bunch of food or
giving it away so...we thought we'd invite you down.

The good news: We will have almost double the waffle capacity of our
Lombard location, so
in theory your order should come out quicker. IN THEORY (see above).

Plus, thanks to our posh new location (behind a rusty barbed wire
fence in the gravel lot
of an abandoned building), there will be plenty for you to do while
you eat your food:
you will be mere paces from two record stores, a comic book shop, many
swank boutiques as
well as establishments that specialize in light bulbs and salt. Shop
Mississippi and you
are shopping Portland. Word.

THIS IS ONLY A TEST: WE WILL BE OPEN ONLY ON DECEMBER 15th until we
open for real in
January '08!

Signed,

The folks at your friendly neighborhood FLAVOURspot.

PS- if you are thirsty or robe-averse bring cash- our credit card
machine is not hooked
up yet.

#27 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:48 PM

Flavour Spot made international news on Saturday, when Beth Ditto of the Gossip included it in her tour of Portland, which she wrote up for the Guardian United of Manchester, UK :P

I'm so excited (and a little frightened) to be so close to Flavour Spot when they open on Mississippi...

#28 tonyajonemiller

tonyajonemiller
  • Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:49 PM

Oooooooh! This is a block from us. I drove by on Saturday and saw the hoopla, but by the time I walked back up to try it, it was 1:45pm and they were packing up. I went back the next day but saw no sign of them and wondered what the deal was. Thanks for the info! I can't wait until they open for real. It would be nice to have a casual breakfast takeout window in the nabe.
Tonya (NSFW)
Chef Crush...Because I heart cooks...

#29 BaconLuv

BaconLuv
  • Members
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:bacon, comfort food, vintage cocktails, karaoke

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:53 PM

Awesome! So much closer to me than the Lombard one.
The ironclad rule on music in any kitchen I control: NO Billy Joel, NO Grateful Dead. - Tony Bourdain

#30 tonyajonemiller

tonyajonemiller
  • Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

FYI, the new FlavourSpot waffle stand is open on the SE corner of North Mississippi and Fremont Streets. I got a plain one with minutes to spare on Saturday. Crunchy malty butter-dripping powdered-sugar goodness! The nice gentleman (owner?) told me their hours are still in the adjustment phase but I think they're currently somewhere around 9a to 3p on Saturdays and Sundays. Having this a block from my house is going to be very dangerous.
Tonya (NSFW)
Chef Crush...Because I heart cooks...

#31 Lemonzesty

Lemonzesty
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:04 PM

This is hell and gone from my house, but I will be so there on Saturday.
Hey, SE could use some waffle love too.

LZ

#32 Jeff

Jeff
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:45 PM

It's not FLAVOURspot, but the Waffle Window around the corner from Bread and Ink on Hawthorne does only waffles... And isn't Jace Gace on Belmont all about the waffles?

Hey, SE could use some waffle love too.

#33 BaconLuv

BaconLuv
  • Members
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:bacon, comfort food, vintage cocktails, karaoke

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

FYI, the new FlavourSpot waffle stand is open on the SE corner of North Mississippi and Fremont Streets. I got a plain one with minutes to spare on Saturday. Crunchy malty butter-dripping powdered-sugar goodness! The nice gentleman (owner?) told me their hours are still in the adjustment phase but I think they're currently somewhere around 9a to 3p on Saturdays and Sundays. Having this a block from my house is going to be very dangerous.

I wonder if this means the owner is going to primarily be working the new location? Or maybe he was just there since it was the opening of the new spot? Half the reason I like them so much is that the owner was working the Lombard spot every single time I went and was always incredibly friendly. I will go out of my way to the place where he's going to be stationed at.
The ironclad rule on music in any kitchen I control: NO Billy Joel, NO Grateful Dead. - Tony Bourdain

#34 Lemonzesty

Lemonzesty
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

"It's not FLAVOURspot, but the Waffle Window around the corner from Bread and Ink on Hawthorne does only waffles... And isn't Jace Gace on Belmont all about the waffles?"

<whine> I want a Flavourspot located in the vacant lot next to MY HOUSE <whine>

Just read about Jace Gace in Sunday's paper, so I will definitely have to check that out too.

LZ

#35 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:05 PM

Jace Gace's savory waffles are supposed to be somewhat poorly matched to their toppings, and I hear the they're too doughy and dense without adequate crispness (they're a cornmeal base). I have yet to try them myself, though. Haven't heard about their sweet offerings.

#36 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

I heard through the grapevine that they added a turkey/bacon/havarti option - does anyone know this to be the case?

#37 Grlfriday

Grlfriday
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

I went about 2 weeks ago and am pretty sure that was one of the choices taped up. I went for the turkey & gouda and decided it was a bit too rich for my breakfast choice. Good, but most likely wouldnt choose it again.
www.apexrestoration.net

#38 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:44 PM

I had a plain at the Fremont stand today, buttered, no sugar - just wanted to taste the waffle.

The guy behind the counter was a jerk. Rolled his eyes at the no sugar request, gave me sugar anyways, I asked if I could have it without, he said "what, is it gonna kill you?" I said "Yes." Audible groan, more eye rolling.

I also asked for a couple ice cubes to cool down my coffee. I said I could add them myself, but he took my coffee, poured out half, and put in a scoop full of ice, then shoved it back to me, splashing out the remainder on the counter. Thanks, pal.

The waffle was OK. I would've liked more malt character and more crispness. The inside texture was fine, but meh - needs more crispness and complexity.

#39 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:58 PM

The only thing wrong with your report, Twitch, is that you went to the new location. The orginal FlavorSpot is great waffley wonders without attitude. Especially, if it's the cool eye-glassed, bearded, nice guy that lets you look at the newspaper while you wait. You don't mind waiting and you get everything you want with a smile. The total reward is the waffle itself. It's a gift for breakfast!

Prior to judging because of a worse-than-hip-indifferent employee, go to the one over on Lombard in the Video place parking lot. You give that a shot and I think your opinion may change.

Best regards,

Amanda

#40 foodeater

foodeater
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:27 PM

Dear Amanda,

Please rest assured that customer service isn’t slipping at the Fremont shop- all of our people are better than that.

I conducted that guy’s transaction, and his account above is inaccurate.

That was sweet what you wrote though! Thank you for your support-and please introduce yourself next time you see me.

@Twitch

Your posting above is an inaccurate account of our transaction yesterday.

I am one of the owners, I handled your transaction, and if you want redress, please introduce yourself next time you see me- I will make sure you are taken care of. In the meantime consider: I thought you were going to ask for MORE ice.

-David