where to find Painted Hills?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sgindigo

sgindigo
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:11 AM

I just bought a smoker. I would like to attempt to do a reasonable facsimile of what I eat at LOW every Monday. The Painted Hills beef is obviously an important part of the flavor of their brisket, as they only use salt and pepper for a rub. Someone I brought with me said it tasted like the grass-fed stuff he had growing up on a farm in Montana. So now it is apparent to me that the meat matters. I got a brisket at Gartner's, but it just wasn't the same (not discounting that I am also somewhat to blame by not using oak in the place of hickory and cherry).

So what meat market sells Painted Hills to the public? Nicky USA sells just about everything else, but the only beef they sell is of the Kobe ($$$) variety.

If you want to be amazed, check out their pricelist at:

http://www.nickyusa....s/PriceList.pdf

#2 PORKFAT

PORKFAT
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:55 PM

Are You A Chef?

Your not going to recreate commercial hardware in your new smoker...

If you've got money to waste, go for it...

I can make you happy with any choice cut at safeway for alot less...

KOBE? LOL...

#3 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:41 AM

Bale's Thriftway

http://www.balesthriftway.com/

New Seasons carries Carlton Farms which is similar

http://192.216.111.25/

#4 sgindigo

sgindigo
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:19 AM

Are You A Chef?

Your not going to recreate commercial hardware in your new smoker...

If you've got money to waste, go for it...

I can make you happy with any choice cut at safeway for alot less...

KOBE?  LOL...

What is "Commercial Hardware"? No, I'm not a chef, though I have daydreamed about going to Western, as I would much rather cook than play with computers all day. But playing with computers pays better for much less stress.

As far as smokers go, you'll see more $200 Weber Smoky Mountain at BBQ competitions on the circuit than any other smoker. They win with them often. Pros that use them tend to buy three of them. If you can maintain temperature control with your smoker, the only variable that separates a what I can assume is meant by "commercial" smoker is the capacity. I can't eat or afford to give away enough smoked meat in a week to justify the purchase of a Klose pit or big Backwoods-style smoker. Hell, Clay's uses an electric smoker, you can get a decent one at GI Joe's for $330. My first smoked pork shoulder two weekends ago was certainly better than Russell St or Yam Yam's. The brisket was better than what I've had most places in this town, just not as good as Lagniappe or LOW. I got the meat at Gartner's. Since LOW doesn't use any rubs (making one less variable), I've got to try oak and some grass-fed beef and see if it gets me closer. At that point, my ability will be the last variable. I don't want to emulate LOW as much as prepare something that is as satisfying to me.

Additionally, I have friends that will only eat "organic" things (annoying, I know) and unless I want to eat 15 lbs of brisket by myself, I have to be somewhat accomodating. The fact that the Brazilian and Argentinian friends of mine complain about the crappy beef here further convinces me there's something to this grass-fed thing. Quite obviously, Kobe beef is ridiculous.

#5 Kim-Chi

Kim-Chi
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:41 PM

I recently went horseback riding in Eastern Oregon -- cattle country. After all the stories I heard about Painted Hills beef I don't think I'll be partial to their beef anymore.

"Natural" is not certifiied. "Organic" is certified -- they examine the organs of the animals and determine what they have or have not been administered. Apparently, Painted Hills is not regulated. They DO sell cattle that is raised and auctioned in Oregon -- so that in itself is a high mark. But, according to many folks I met out there, you're safer buying Safeway cuts which are always Angus -- and therefore almost always choice meat.

I have only heard glowing words in reference to Oregon Country Beef. So for now, I'll steer in that direction.

I am not closing the book by any means -- just reading between the lines. I don't feel informed enough and I'm certainly not trying to be evangelical. Just sharing some information that may be of interest.

#6 sgindigo

sgindigo
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:36 AM

I'd better tell the organic-only friends that, then. At least Painted Hills makes the claims that they're 100% organic, vegetarian-only diet. I suppose it could be just like beer, where a company like Miller can make the claim theat they have no additives and to prove it sell their (photosensitive unless you put in additives) beer in a clear bottle because their claims fall under a deregulated loophole. I'm more interested in the flavor, which a few folks who grew up on grass-fed think is the key. I think we'll have to do the pepsi challenge with brisket some weekend. Who's up for it???

#7 malachi

malachi
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:coffee, food, espresso, wine, rock climbing

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:08 PM

If you've not tried the River Run Farm pasture-finished Angus, you should.

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:40 PM

Went in to Uwajimaya today. They carry Painted Hills. They also had a near-Kobe quality prime beef that was formerly exported to Japan prior to the Mad Cow scare. It was very nice stuff and only $16/pound. This was top loin. They buy whole animals which gives you some options.

Phil's carries Snake River Farms, the true Wagyu also. I think it's generally around $20/lb or so.

Viande carries Wagyu butt and flank, each of which might be good for BBQ. Not sure of the source, but probably Snake River Farms. Of course, you could always order direct on their website, too.

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/

http://www.natural-beef.com/

From Painted Hills's website:

The desire to provide our customers with products of consistently high quality has been the focus of our company from the beginning. To us, this means producing a product that is safe for your family as well as naturally flavorful and tender. Our beef is raised with NO ADDED HORMONES, NO ANTIBIOTICS and a 100% VEGETARIAN DIET. Our cattle are never fed animal by-products of any kind. This is beef you can trust.

From Snake River's website:

To produce the world's most exquisite beef, Snake River Farms has adopted many aspects of the heritage-steeped Japanese feeding method, including a slow-paced, all-natural production method. Our cattle are fed a natural diet of barley, golden wheat straw, alfalfa hay, and idaho potatoes. We never cut corners by using any growth promoting hormones or animal by-products in our feed. Our American Kobe Beef cattle grow slowly and naturally, a process that can take up to four times as long as traditional U.S. feeding production that focuses on efficiency over quality.

Snake River Farms cattle are raised in a comfortable environment along the high plain of the Snake River eliminating the need for certain traditional Japanese techniques like massage and beer-feeding that were historically performed due to confinement.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's